Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

Equifest update - pic heavy

So we had a pretty amazing few days away at Equifest!

Went there for 2 nights, so three days of competing.

First class was coloured working hunter, we unfortunately had a rail down however did a nice show and pulled a respectable 6th out of 22. 

Image may contain: one or more people, horse, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, horse, outdoor and nature

Second class on the first day was freestyle dressage to music. I was absolutely dreading this as I literally had not made a test or finished music up till 48 hours previous! It didn't go perfectly to the music as I had no arena to practice in, I'd just guessed a same size patch in my field the night before to practise in - however it turned out I'd been a bit too generous on the sizing at home as the actual arena came up a lot smaller and he was STORMING round it on the day lol....so some parts the music didn't match perfectly but oh well! And, we used very modern music which very much stuck out like a sore thumb lol [Despacito and Little mix lol!] but it mixed it up from all the typical classical music going on!

ANYWAY. Despite all of that. We somehow pulled off a second for our freestyle!!!!  We missed out on first by one mark to a medium level horse. So I am over the moon with that.

Image may contain: one or more people, horse, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, horse, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, horse and outdoor

So onto the second day there, our first class was the ride and drive class and then pleasure driving. He was foot perfect throughout every class and got a second in the ride and drive, and third in the pleasure. The judges absolutely loved him and literally got blank cheque offers for him after our class as at least 4 driving related people wanted to buy him!  But most definitely not for sale. The second place meant we'd got a space in the evening performance later that night. 

Image may contain: horse

Image may contain: one or more people and horse

Image may contain: one or more people, horse, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, horse and outdoor

Unfortunately the evening performance was where it all went wrong. We'd done it last year with no problem, however due to various factors it all went pear shaped this year and my inexperience as a driver ballsed it up for us sadly. Last year we'd gone in second and had a nice empty arena to enter into and get going round for the first lap. It really is something else to go in as it's a public evening performance, so the music is blaring, the commentators are on over the PA system and there's near on a thousand people watching at least. Anyway, we unfortunately got placed last to go in this year and that's where it all went wrong. You all enter in a storming trot and unfortunately being last meant  slotting in in a very small space with all the other oncoming horses and carriages already in there going round. We got cut up as we entered slightly in the entrance by a guy stood in the entrance which meant we had to slam on the brakes just before we went in, and then lost our space to enter and had to wait a moment and try and jump into trot to enter again in the next space. Anyway, this momentary pause, going in last and all the extra horses already in the arena coming at him - just blew his brain. I couldn't tell what he was doing, from behind it looked like he was bucking in the cart so I just tried to stop and keep everything calm talking to him. Looking at the video back, he was just cantering on the spot wanting to get on with it I think - in hind sight, I should have just sent him forwards and got going probably, but his little brain had gotten lost in all the atmosphere. The lovely driving steward tried his best to get us going to outside track again to join in, but little coblet wasn't confident enough to slot in with all the carriages already going round and wanted to stay in the middle out of the way I think. He just felt completely starstruck and no idea where to place himself in all that craziness! So we retired unfortunately and came out. I don't drive competitively and you can't recreate that atmosphere anywhere, so I don't blame him at all for having a panic. Next time, I shall request to go in first again so he doesn't have a panic about where to go. Soon as we got out of there, he literally went back to being asleep, so it wasn't even like he'd wound himself up completely either. We stood just outside watching it all quite calmly.

But anyway. Lesson learnt. Don't go in last!

Image may contain: sky, horse, outdoor and nature

So, onto the third day. My friend who came with me to help groom entered the showjumping on him and they pulled off a 4th of about 20 odd horses. Not bad as she's hardly ridden him before!

I was meant to be entered in the following jumping class after her, however they had dressage going on in the indoor arena where the evening performance was the night previous. Nowhere near as busy as the night previous, but was the same arena and still had a few people watching and the music on a bit so just thought I'd enter a dressage class instead just to get him in there so not to end on a bad note of that arena.

I entered an elementary test which was a bit silly as it's two levels higher than we compete at normally [only done two pre-lim tests before lol!]. Majority of the test done in collected trot with some medium and simple changes in, which we're really not brilliant at! And we broke in canter on the last shallow loop - however this wasn't picked up on the test sheet so I think the judge missed it! Anyway, he was good as gold in the arena and we somehow only went and won it?!?!?! I have no idea how lol as I really don't think his movements were all that correct, as like I said, it's not something we do a lot of. Our medium trot did get low marks on, as it isn't established at all and he was tired by this point after 3 days of being there. Good note to end on anyway! Chuffed we won our first ever elementary test.

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: horse, basketball court and outdoor

Anyway. So that was our little 3 day adventure write up! :)

Image may contain: one or more people, horse, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, horse and outdoor

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

What a great showing and a great ending, also!  I don't blame Coblet for freaking at that driving class. I would have been intimidated too. There was a lot to see in there. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Even with the slight hiccups, you and the Coblet did FANTASTIC!  What a great show for you guys and I loved all the photos!

Thanks all! 

We've been roped into something else interesting this weekend..... A carnival! The burlesque dance group a friend does wants to dress him up as a unicorn and me join in riding him, in a full burlesque outfit as well. Hahahaha. Slightly intimidated by this one lmao!!!!! 

There's burlesque and then there's BURLESQUE! I'd demand to see the costume first. (Just kidding. I bet it'll be fun.)

Hahaha it's a family event type carnival so nothing too provocative! I have seen my outfit and it's quite cool lol...  lots of feathers, long bustle skirt to trail over his bum  and sparkle haha. 

You guys did great!  We all get our minds blown from time to time, even a steady guy like Coblet.  Nice work!