Sign in to follow this  
redneckcowgirlmn

Emotional Support Animals, do they get the same rights?

In my opinion, if you have an 18" blue mohawk, face looks like you fell into a tacklebox, and you purposely dress to cause others to notice, then, you take your equally ridiculously dressed Yorkie and Iguana into a grocery store WITH you, "Because you have Anxiety and emotional issues, they are Service Animals", I'm gonna call BS on it. Especially if you are FEEDING your stupid lizard from the produce isle. 

NO. You have mental issues alright, but nothing that having a tie dye dressed mohawked Yorkie in your shopping cart is gonna solve. 

Rant over...

So, what is YOUR opinion on Wal Mart's new "4 on the Floor" policy?  

I guess I would have no problem with it, if it was okay to have my horse in the grocery store with me.  But since, I would hope others would leave their critters home.  As for the blue mohawk, I think they wanted to join the weird dressed WalMart shopper that you see here on internet.   PD

I've always thought "emotional support" animals were a racket invented for snowflakes who can't deal with the fact the world's rules apply to THEM too. MY rant on the subject

1 hour ago, Proud Dad said:

I guess I would have no problem with it, if it was okay to have my horse in the grocery store with me.  But since, I would hope others would leave their critters home.  As for the blue mohawk, I think they wanted to join the weird dressed WalMart shopper that you see here on internet.   PD

LOL, PD, my thoughts as well, on the whole horse thing. Crazy lady didn't see it my way.  manager threw her out when I showed him a pic of her feeding the lizard out of his produce section. 

56 minutes ago, noponies said:

I've always thought "emotional support" animals were a racket invented for snowflakes who can't deal with the fact the world's rules apply to THEM too. MY rant on the subject

Same here. "ESA's" should support their owners at home. There has been so much stuff on the news lately about them, (The dog that bit someone in the face on a plane...) and the ADA does NOT protect "pets" at all. ES animals do not have any specific task they perform to assist an actual physical disability, therefore they do not, and should not get the same preferential treatment. You can't fly without Fluffy, the rabid Rottie? Take a car. You can't go buy beer and cheetos at midnight alone? Sux to be you. 

Service Animals should be on a leash, period, for their own safety, and a CYA thing, for when the Snowflakes (Thanks noponies!) and their fake service dogs try to start a fight with a real SD. They for SURE should NOT be at the table with their humans, eating off plates. I personally do not allow my own personal pets to even look at me, let alone be in the same room when I am eating. 

OH! AND, the company I work for, has thousands of very large 10+ wheeled vehicles on the road all OVER the USA. These are 50K+ pound trucks. They drive through neighborhoods and empty trash cans. Big trucks like that can not stop on a dime. Some.... lady..... was filling a kiddie pool for her "Service Dog", who was off leash in her front yard. She went to the side of the house to turn water off, dog ran in front of a big truck. In the street. 

She wants to sue the company for emotional distress over seeing her dog get popped like a balloon. 

In the STREET.

Claims the driver did not make enough of an effort to avoid the dog. 

(Because, swerving into her yard and taking out a kid is a better option, or something.)

People like that scare me. There's too many of them these days, and not enough common sense between them for ONE normal person.

I saw that a person took a turkey on a plane. Stating it was a therapy animal. I raised turkeys and they need therapy themselves!

3 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

In my opinion, if you have an 18" blue mohawk, face looks like you fell into a tacklebox, and you purposely dress to cause others to notice, then, you take your equally ridiculously dressed Yorkie and Iguana into a grocery store WITH you, "Because you have Anxiety and emotional issues, they are Service Animals", I'm gonna call BS on it. Especially if you are FEEDING your stupid lizard from the produce isle. 

NO. You have mental issues alright, but nothing that having a tie dye dressed mohawked Yorkie in your shopping cart is gonna solve. 

Rant over...

So, what is YOUR opinion on Wal Mart's new "4 on the Floor" policy?  

You can't just leave that there without a picture!

12 minutes ago, Danyel said:

I saw that a person took a turkey on a plane. Stating it was a therapy animal. I raised turkeys and they need therapy themselves!

I worked on one of the local turkey farms here for a wile.Those birds are insane!

I can understand useful service animals such as dogs, but the type some people want to claim as service animals, is just a bit off the wall. Agreed common sense lacking in many of these cases, & it is hard to teach it to most adults, that didn't learn it from their parents. PD

I can understand service animals. Like the type that help their ownersite during seizures or extreme panic caused by PTSD. And obviously service dogs for the blind and immobile. But there is a line. A service goat? No, I don't think so. Or a miniature horse. The only real problem I have with either is that you cannot reliably potty train either of them. Especially a goat since they have zero control over that sort of thing. Never seen a service turkey before. 

Blue hair, and piercings do not phase me but I think when people do this sort of things they need to realize they are opening themselves up to attention. Just the way it is. And if you do not like attention then you probably shouldn't bring yourself any attention. 

One thing I will say on the subject of piercings is that I have known a lot of people with crazy amounts of piercings. Almost all of them regret doing it. Glad I never did. 

Miniature horses have been approved as service animals for the blind. They absolutely can be reliably trained and they live longer.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Miniature horses have been approved as service animals for the blind. They absolutely can be reliably trained and they live longer.

I never knew that! TIL I guess lol. 

From the ADA website: https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

"

This publication provides guidance on the term “service animal” and the service animal provisions in the Department’s new regulations.

• Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA.
  • A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability."

And

"

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office."

AND, 

"In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility."

I don't see Iguanas, turkeys, chickens, goats,  on there anywhere. IMO, the people that claim they need a "Service Animal/ Emotional Support Animal" just need emotional support, because they crave the attention.  Isn't there some sort of Attention Seeking Syndrome or something? Which would, I suppose, fall under a mental illness,  but not qualify as dependent on a pet for that attention... unless you don't bathe regularly and are just SUCH a horrible person, that nobody will talk to you. If that's the case? Poor pet. :/

When I lived in east Kentucky people always had their dirty, stinky, matted overgrown toe nail fleabag inbred mutts riding around in shopping carts at Walmart. 

When I moved to Illinois I was very happy to see my new Walmart had a sign up that no type of service animal was allowed to ride in the cart for sanitary reasons, and I suspect to keep the misbehaving mangy little "ESA" at home, with their fake certificates that the snowflake owners paid for online. 

Real service animals helping a disabled person? Now those I love to see out and about working. The partnership between them and their human is just amazing.