Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

Chipmunks......uggg

This might not seem like a big issue, but, I have a chipmunk problem.

I don't mind them being on my porch, using the porch railing for a jungle gym.

But, they're getting into my car! I don't know how, I've crawled all over, looking for a way they could be getting in and, I can find none.

They get in the engine compartment and, I find sunflower seed shells in there, someone told us, put mothballs in there, they don't like the smell, but, I still find evidence of them being in there.

In the glovebox!? Seriously? I find shredded napkins and, poop. On my back seat and floorboards, just a while ago....poop.

I closed all the air vents, thinking maybe, they found a way in that way.

I'm not finding/noticing anything important chewed up, like wiring, but, don't they also chew that? Car still runs great, the computer isn't informing me of any problems, like it would if there WAS a problem.

I don't care how cute they are, I hate them...lol...I used to be concerned when Pablo went out, he'd kill some...... I don't care anymore!  Now, I say, "hey, if you're gonna kill 'em, just don't do it in front of me!"

Any suggestions you may have, would be greatly appreciated!

They are cute but will chew wires. Can you park your car in a different place? I had a problem with squirrels hiding hickory nuts in my car. One day on the way home from town, the throttle stuck wide open. A nut was wedge under it. It was a wild ride home!

22 minutes ago, noponies said:

Couple barn cats usually take care of the problem pretty quickly.

I don't have barn cats, just one indoor/outdoor cat. He will chase them, though.

19 minutes ago, Danyel said:

They are cute but will chew wires. Can you park your car in a different place? I had a problem with squirrels hiding hickory nuts in my car. One day on the way home from town, the throttle stuck wide open. A nut was wedge under it. It was a wild ride home!

It wouldn't matter where I parked, I live in the forest.

My husband, for the past two years, has been, ' going to build a garage'.......ask me if we have a garage.

I hope I don't ever have a ride home like you did. That must have been.... interesting....?

I don't have a garage either, Equicrzy. The ride home was 90 mph. I turned off the highway on 2 wheels and shut it down. I didn't care what happened to the transmission! I moved my car away from the trees and the problem stopped.

The funny part of it, was that the car was a black and white cop car he bought at an auction. The traffic pulled over to the shoulder when I went flying by! We had it painted and sold right after that. I never drove it again!

I ask Charlie about this and he immediately said moth balls.

Edited by Danyel

5 hours ago, Danyel said:

I don't have a garage either, Equicrzy. The ride home was 90 mph. I turned off the highway on 2 wheels and shut it down. I didn't care what happened to the transmission! I moved my car away from the trees and the problem stopped.

The funny part of it, was that the car was a black and white cop car he bought at an auction. The traffic pulled over to the shoulder when I went flying by! We had it painted and sold right after that. I never drove it again!

I ask Charlie about this and he immediately said moth balls.

We put mothballs, in a mesh bag, in two places under the hood, where we thought might be the entry points. Worked for a while, now, I guess they tough it out......lol.

They hibernate during the winter, so, I guess I'll just have to wait them out.....it wouldn't help to park away from trees, chipmunks build their homes under things like, wood piles, sheds, etc... there's no place in my yard I could park to get away from them.

I saw Pablo coming across the front yard, a chipmunk by the tail, dangling. Problem is, he brings it on the front porch and, let's it go. .... I think he's in collusion with the chipmunks.....lol.. they're trying to drive me nuts ..

We had a chipmunk problem last year. I trapped probably a dozen (I killed them). A family build a nest in my pulling tractor. I was done being nice after that point.

Get cats or buy traps. They're destructive critters.

I can't, out and out, kill them, I don't have the stomach for it. If my cat goes out and kills them, without me seeing or knowing, is a different story 

Equicrzy, peppermint oil may keep them out of your car. Soak cotton balls with the oil and put them in your vehicle. I know it helps to keep mice out. 

1 hour ago, Danyel said:

Equicrzy, peppermint oil may keep them out of your car. Soak cotton balls with the oil and put them in your vehicle. I know it helps to keep mice out. 

That's worth trying. Smells better than mothballs, too.

I was thinking of getting some of those real looking rubber snakes and, put them in and, around/under the car.... aren't rodents afraid of snakes?

My dachshund got one this weekend under the truck.  He's been trying for eight years.  He was very proud!  I opened my hood a few days ago and all I could hear was nuts rolling around inside the hood.  Ever since my Munchkin cat passed away, I've been inundated by chipmunks and mice.  They dug up and ate all my tulip bulbs.  I only have inside cats now.  Mice get behind the stove and the only one that shows interest in hunting is still a kitten.  I have high hopes for her though!  I keep meaning to try the peppermint oil thing too.  I had a mouse nest in my glove compartment.

1 hour ago, Majik13 said:

My dachshund got one this weekend under the truck.  He's been trying for eight years.  He was very proud!  I opened my hood a few days ago and all I could hear was nuts rolling around inside the hood.  Ever since my Munchkin cat passed away, I've been inundated by chipmunks and mice.  They dug up and ate all my tulip bulbs.  I only have inside cats now.  Mice get behind the stove and the only one that shows interest in hunting is still a kitten.  I have high hopes for her though!  I keep meaning to try the peppermint oil thing too.  I had a mouse nest in my glove compartment.

I've had shredded napkins and chipmunk poop in the glovebox and, the center console cupholder.  I've opened the hood, to have a ground squirrel jump out.

I have one indoor/outdoor cat, I do see him chasing and, actually catching the chipmunks, but, there are so many of them, he can't keep up.

I have no idea how they can get inside the car, can they come in through the firewall?  Is that possible?  However they get in, I'm angry enough to purchase/borrow/steal, a bunch of outdoor cats!

Yeah, I had one of those dashboard dusting mitts under the seat.  I pulled it out and the only thing left was the cuff.  I found the rest making up a nest in my glove compartment.  Those little buggers were well traveled.  They went everywhere with me!  I don't know how they get in either.  Maybe through the shifter?

In my case, I see no way for them to get in through the shifter.  I see no way for them to get in, period, but they did.

I haven't seen evidence lately, but, before, I had a package of gum in the glovebox that had a couple sticks chewed.

I did put mothballs under the hood.

It's getting colder, too, we've had a couple of freezes already. Chipmunks hibernate, maybe they're getting ready.

Found out my mouse bucket trap will also work for chipmunks.

5gal pal

Remove had

Drill holes on each side

Take empty soda can & punch a hole in bottom

String heavy wire through can

Attach wire to pail where hole punches are so can is in middle of pail.

Pour 2 inches of water in bucket then float sunflower seeds on water

Put peanut butter on can

Place a board against bucket.

Chipmunk will go up ramp, jump to can & then drop into water.

One of my staffers said his BIL has been getting all sorts of chipmunks this way.  I've used this trap on mice & it works great.

chipmunk-bucket-trap.jpg

I feel your pain! I live in a pasture where rabbits and rodents of all descriptions flourish. I used to lay in bed an night listening to them chewing my home up from underneath. We had to replace spark plug wires on two vehicles just days apart because the rats chewed them to pieces over night. Over ONE night! Rabbits chewed holes in every water hose and every faucet post on the place the first winter we were there. They also chewed holes in the PVC water pipes under the house and made nests in my stored hay. 

I trapped a lot of them but the field rats are big guys and they were carrying my traps off. Rabbits, yes folks, cotton tail rabbits, also carry the traps off. Turns out they like cheese and peanut butter just as much as rats and mice. Even when I staked the traps down, they would disappear. Live traps work but are a  pain because I then have to dispatch the critter caught and I refuse to use poison of any sort. It is a lot of trouble when I was trapping 10 or more rats and rabbits every night. Without any deterrent, they just kept coming to a steady food source in my hay and chicken feed. No way to keep them out of the chicken feeder and still feed the chickens and no way to keep them out of the wheat hay or hay grazer we often bought for winter. 

Cats are my long term solution. I feed them very well and they still hunt constantly. I don't have any rodents, rabbits, snakes, bugs, and very few sparrows within 50 yards of my home due to the cats. I started with 5 kittens my mother found at the cemetery when she went to "visit" my dad. That was 15 years ago! I only have some fixed, mostly get the males neutered, so they have kittens every now and then. They are not pets but not quite feral and I keep them healthy and their numbers under control. The mortality rate is pretty high, nothing I can do about coyotes, owls, hawks, the occasional stray dog or mules/donkeys, but they are very effective at what they do. I live far enough away from any public roadway to avoid them being run over. They don't run off very often, I think they like the food!

I have house cats that do not go outside except in their specially designed cage they access form the window. They have no contact with the outside cats since the cage is in the front yard and the dogs keep the outside cats out of the yard. They have no rodent control duties since the outside cats don't let anything get to the house! I have to buy them toys to play with.

The outside cats, I can't call them barn cats since I don't really have a barn, live under the house for the most part. I feed them 4Health (a Tractor Supply brand) dry and canned food. I give them two small cans of wet food every morning and about 10 cups of dry. I feed an additional 4 cups of dry in the evening. They are fat, soft and shiny! I give them canned food in the morning so I can get a look at them, handle any kittens a little bit and keep them coming up so they don't get hurt under one of the vehicles as we come and go for work and such. They hang around the back porch until I come out and feed them so they are not under the vehicles. We, unfortunately killed a lot of cats before I figured out how to do this. I have about 15 cats right now which is about the right number for the amount of territory they defend for me. One un-neutered male, four adult females but two are unable to complete a prenancy for some reason and two 1/2 grown litters of 4 and 6 kittens. I need to catch kittens and get them fixed or re-homed soon. I try to keep two or three females that can breed and only one tom. The one I have now and the one previous are very good with the kittens and do not tolerate any stray males hanging around. They leave the male kittens alone if I get them neutered young but those guys are not good hunters, the females are voracious hunters even when well fed! I try to give the males away once I get them neutered since they tend to be free-loaders. 

They give me a chance to train any of my dogs to leave the cats alone. Good training for dogs I often take to town or camping with me. Between the cats and the chickens, my dogs learn Leave it! pretty quickly. 

Sorry for the novel. I get a lot of flack from folks for letting the cats breed but the local shelter will not let me adopt cats if I don't promise to keep them indoors. I always feel like I have to explain my set up and practices to keep from being labeled an abuser. 

The Ford guy told me to put a bar of Irish Spring in the engine area (he tucked it up on the side somewhere).  The rats left.  Perhaps they were English.  :P

Edited by little cow

I know there are products on the market that  say they will repel rodents from hanging around property,  how well they work is up for debate.  but like most things, I'm sure rodents can build up resistant to them, over time.   PD

12 hours ago, little cow said:

The Ford guy told me to put a bar of Irish Spring in the engine area (he tucked it up on the side somewhere).  The rats left.  Perhaps they were English.  :P

Maybe its the triclocarban