Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Horse's Leg...again.

She does not stay out at night. She wont. She throws a fit. She is outside from roughly 730-dark. Honestly, she'd hurt herself if out at night from the fit she throws. 19 years of the same routine, ya know?

Right, but which is worse, throwing a fit, or swelling up? At least during a fit, she's working that leg and exercising it? Do you have a round pen or something safe to put her in? Or can she get in and out of a run in shed with a paddock?

If it's going down, you must be doing what it needs. Just keep the bedding fresh so she can get off it if she wants to.

Redneck, not trying to argue, but I feel I am doing what is best in my situation. None of my horses have EVER stayed out 24/7. They're all used to getting put away for the night. I do not have facilities for them to be out 24 hours. I also have had enough problems with neighbors (previous posts from last year) that I wouldn't even trust having them out in the dark.

Jubal, thank you. I feel were gaining on it. I gave her Bute yesterday and today which seemed to help her, too. We will get through it.

Back to her "normal". Hasn't been turned out as often as it's been near 90 for a week (too hot and no shade) - and she seems to be doing much better. Thanks for asking!

Whew!  I'm glad she's doing better.  Does your turnout attach to your barn or do you have to walk them back/forth?

I'm getting another horse next month and in the next few weeks I need to fence in an area adjacent to the run-in barn that encompasses two shade trees.  My barn is metal and when the sun beats on it, it turns into an oven inside so I need to have the shade available.

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

Whew!  I'm glad she's doing better.  Does your turnout attach to your barn or do you have to walk them back/forth?

I'm getting another horse next month and in the next few weeks I need to fence in an area adjacent to the run-in barn that encompasses two shade trees.  My barn is metal and when the sun beats on it, it turns into an oven inside so I need to have the shade available.

Another horse? Same breed as your others?

No, this one is a Peruvian gelding.  Does anyone remember Reina?  I'm getting her pasture mate from the same family. 

Galileo de Cielo, 13yrs old.

aad.jpg

47 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

No, this one is a Peruvian gelding.  Does anyone remember Reina?  I'm getting her pasture mate from the same family. 

Galileo de Cielo, 13yrs old.

aad.jpg

He's gorgeous! I do remember Reina.

My pasture is wrapped around the barn. They have doors on front of stalls and thats how they go in and out.

This is a couple years ago (we've done some improvements)  but shows the set up. In all honesty, I hate my barn. But, does its purpose.

12088236_10153503942311547_8105137986459[

Heidi, that's a beautiful horse!

He is lovely and I can't wait to meet him.  *whispers to myself: it is only another month, you can do it!*

Pink, I remember you talking about the mud in front of your barn before, now I can see the issue and I wonder how you manage in the winter.  
If I may suggest, I'd build something like a pole-roof to extend over their stall entrances and allow for rain/snow-free access.  You could also kind of "mare motel" it by fencing along the sides and having a gate at the end of the lean-to roof for each stall section.  Then even on days they'd need to be up, they could still access a little bit outdoors of their stall w/out a huge muddy or snowy mess, other than a pee spot.  I'd also modify the fencing to attach to their stall runs so you could allow them free-access as they wish during the day - but I'm all about making things easy and my climate is very different from what you have to deal with.

In front of the barn will never be dry even if I had a roof - the picture doesn't show - but the back yard slopes to the barn. All the run off just ends up there because my pasture also slopes that direction. (Whomever built the barn years ago wasn't thinking - they built the barn up over a foot - so it doesn't flood.) Also with their lovely design - horses cannot go out any other direction besides out their stall fronts. It's a PIA and the barn will be rebuilt up closer to the house and road when finances allow. Got to do some other improvements before I can do my "fun" things. I do plan on a much more horse friendly barn when it does happen though.

Edited by PinkTractor

1 hour ago, PinkTractor said:

In front of the barn will never be dry even if I had a roof - the picture doesn't show - but the back yard slopes to the barn. All the run off just ends up there because my pasture also slopes that direction. (Whomever built the barn years ago wasn't thinking - they built the barn up over a foot - so it doesn't flood.) Also with their lovely design - horses cannot go out any other direction besides out their stall fronts. 

O. M. G.  I'm just gobsmacked! 
About the only positive thing I can say is when you are able to build the barn you want, you'll have thought of *everything* so you don't have to deal with these same issues.  I just can't imagine what you've been dealing with every winter and rainy season.

Yes, it's an awful set up. I have three stalls - with a little 3' aisle behind them. The back part - which was practically falling in - is big enough to store our tractor and some hay. To get in the barn, (which, never used to have a main door) - it's about a two foot step. Into each stall is roughly a foot step up, too. Not ideal at all for a horse with a bummed leg. Upside, my stalls never flood. Gotta be positive, right?

I have my dream barn all planned out. I even have a condensed realistic version. But, until that happens - this barn at least serves the purpose. It is structurally sound (now) and allows them to be out of the elements.

You're making it work, even though it isn't ideal.  I'm doing the same thing with my outbuildings. They weren't built for horses so I've modified the one to accommodate my needs.  Still have some things I want done and hopefully we can get to these over the winter.