bluecreek

New Farm! Dreams coming true!

Hello, everyone! I found this site while looking for inspiration as to what to name our new farm. I read through some of the other topics here, too, and decided to join this wonderful community :)

I've been in love with horses my whole life, and I've never had the chance to own or lease one. I've volunteered with horses, I've done a lot of trail rides, but I am definitely 100% green at it all. We're currently in escrow on a 100-acre farm, and I feel like my dreams in life are finally coming true! I'm hoping to own a horse within the next 2 years :D

I'd love to get to know you all!

WooooHoooooooooooooo!  Congrats on buying The Dream bluecreek!  

Last year we bought the big house I'd always wanted and have 2 gaited horses with 1 more coming next month.  I am in envy of your 100 acres, but I wouldn't want to mow it!

@MoonStar Thank you! I see you're a newbie here, too. When did you join? :)

@Heidi n Q Oh wow! I tried to check out your property (from your post about buying the new house), but realtor.com has removed the pics. Bummer. Do you have any pics of your horses? I rode a gaited horse once...it's a whole other world! I don't really have a "dream" horse. I've researched a lot of breeds, and I think I will end up knowing the right horse when I meet it. I'll probably end up getting a second so my daughter can ride when she gets older...what's one more mouth to feed, right? haha.

3 hours ago, bluecreek said:

@Heidi n Q  I'll probably end up getting a second so my daughter can ride when she gets older...what's one more mouth to feed, right? haha.

It certainly is cheaper to keep horses on your own property.  I love having easy and daily access to my horses.  You will, too.

Haha! Heidi. You have the upgraded version of my house. I only have two dormers and rectangular windows. But my garage is bigger. And where are your moles?

Moles?  I think our 'dirt' is too sandy for moles to tunnel in.  But we did have an armadillo burrow under the R side of the house!  No activity so I filled it in.

The 2-car garage is behind the L side of the house.  Behind all that is a 27x90 shop and 27x34 horse barn.

16 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Moles?  I think our 'dirt' is too sandy for moles to tunnel in.  But we did have an armadillo burrow under the R side of the house!  No activity so I filled it in.

The 2-car garage is behind the L side of the house.  Behind all that is a 27x90 shop and 27x34 horse barn.

Okay, I see now. The wing on the left side is house. My "wing" is a two story garage with a loft. I don't have a shop but I need one. My barn and garage are full of too much equipment. Moles have moved into my front yard this summer. I never had any when my big cat was alive. Your lawn looks very nice and I envy all those trees. 

50 minutes ago, noponies said:

My whole house is about the size of that "wing".

My last house was 769 square feet, the original tiny house! I miss it when it comes time to clean.The extra room just gets filled up with junk. I wouldn't go back to the small barn I had before, though.

Looks like we joined about the same time Bluecreek.  Are you building a house on your new property?  My great grandparents built a barn first, lived in it while they built the house we live in now.  We've gutted about every room and opened it up now....I swear my ggma took a bath in a teacup the bathroom was so small!!

@MoonStar That's awesome! It's great you get to live in your family home that carries so much history :D Isn't it crazy how standards have changed as far as house must-haves go? I grew up with one tiny bathroom with a shower (no tub), and now I can't imagine having such a small bathroom again!

My brother did something similar to your great grandparents. He built a garage to live in (he's a car guy, haha) and will be building the house next year. I was planning on following in his footsteps until this property came up for sale. It is the same price as the home I was going to build on my land (I have 20 acres currently, but no well/septic/power). Now I plan on selling my land to my brother (we split a 40 acre parcel) so he can have a full 40 :) The new house is about 10 minutes away, so we'll still see eachother all the time and have the benefit of our kiddos growing up around their cousins! :D

The new property has the original farm house (roof is collapsing....not structurally sound!) and a house they built in 1984 (modular). The modular is in good shape, just untouched since 1984. :) It's 960 sq ft. However, it's a split level, so the partially finished "basement" will double it when we're done! The property also has the barn, garage, and sauna. The sauna has a cracked foundation, and my realtor thinks it's a teardown. I'm a bit more optimistic, though :)

It's going to take us a little bit to recover financially from the down payment. I plan on redoing the carpet and painting it all immediately upon move-in. I'm hoping to get the barn up to snuff next summer. We won't have any significant changes, though, for a few years at least. (Darnit, I want to update the kitchen so bad!)

I'm not even living in the house yet, and I already can't shut up about it. :jump:

4 hours ago, MoonStar said:

Looks like we joined about the same time Bluecreek.  Are you building a house on your new property?  My great grandparents built a barn first, lived in it while they built the house we live in now.  We've gutted about every room and opened it up now....I swear my ggma took a bath in a teacup the bathroom was so small!!

When you think of the "bathroom" before it came indoors, the indoor one probably looked palatial to her! And the actual bath was probably a washtub in the kitchen. My mother's childhood home had an outhouse. I can remember using it in the summer when you had to watch for wasps and other critters. I'm not nostalgic about that!

Super easy....cheapcheapcheap!  You can youtube videos on how we did it...my video got spaceate or ???.  It's plywood Bar (my hubby...) took a torch to and just graze over it..you'll see the color come up and there you go.  Really.  Up to you how many coats of glossy you want, we knew ours was gonna take a beating so that is just one coat in 1st pic.