bluecreek

Weathered Barn, Future Horse

I posted in the newbie area with a little bit of an introduction there :) Short story shorter, we're in escrow on a 100 acre farm and I cannot wait as it feels like my dreams are coming true :happy0203:

My ultimate short-term goal is to buy a horse in about 2-3 years. But, to get to that point, I have a long path to walk first. Our new home has a big, weathered barn. The exterior either was never protected (no paint, no stain) or it hasn't been refreshed in a long, long time. The interior is beautiful (although, again, untouched for many years) with huge beams. I've attached a pic of the exterior...it's very rough-looking!

Is it possible to salvage this? I would love to stain it instead of painting it the classic red as I LOVE the look of the wood.

Once we've got the barn done next year, the fence will go up. Then I need to build out the stalls. THEN! THEN! A horse is a possibility! Wooooo! During all of this time, however, I do need to learn quite a bit about horse care. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick you folks' brains a bit when it comes to that. (I've been around horses, but not enough to where I know the ins and outs.)

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.55.28 AM.png

Welcome, bluecreek. Is that barn log? How neat! I think you'd need to consult a barn builder about its viability. We can't really tell you from a photo. Congrats on getting your farm!

LOVELY barn! If the wood is solid, I wouldn't do much to it other than a clear oil "stain" to help preserve the wood.

@jubal Thank you!

I think I actually worded that badly. I meant to say "is it possible to salvage the wood" as in, restore the wood without painting over it all. lol. The barn itself is in great condition structurally. :) I'll be able to tell more once we actually close on the property (about a month away still) and I can get in there and take more pics.

LOVE those old barns!  You just can't tear them down....too much character!!

Best of luck with the adventure of the farmlife......you'll have critters in no time to chow on that 100 acres!!

@noponies I'm hoping that is the case here :) I would love to stain it versus have to paint over it. I'm worried about whether or not there will be a lot of rot to replace...hoping we lucked out on that front! I am so excited to see it again!! We close the middle of next month, and I'm sure I'll be starting a youtube/instagram account for the farm life project. :D

@MoonStar Agreed!! 20 acres is hay, 5 acres is yard (oh my gosh...my husband is going to be so sick of mowing :lol:) and the rest appears to be wooded. There's a creek running through it, too. Ohhh the possibilities!

1 hour ago, noponies said:

No reason about 4 acres of that yard can't be pasture, right?

:rotf:I "Mow" my yard with the horses all the time! Dang kids can't figure out my geriatric lawn tractor, (You gotta sweet talk her, she's a moody girl!)

3 hours ago, bluecreek said:

20 acres is hay, 5 acres is yard .... and the rest appears to be wooded. There's a creek running through it, too. Ohhh the possibilities!

You need to get a chainsaw and a bobcat to groom some looping trails through your woods/creek to ride on!

2 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

:rotf:I "Mow" my yard with the horses all the time! Dang kids can't figure out my geriatric lawn tractor, (You gotta sweet talk her, she's a moody girl!)

Who was it that said they had three "riding mowers?"

You all are getting me even more excited :D Can we speed up time just this once, please?! :jump:

5 hours ago, noponies said:

No reason about 4 acres of that yard can't be pasture, right?

hahahaha...valid point!!!

4 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Who was it that said they had three "riding mowers?"

You guys are hilarious :lol:

2 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

You need to get a chainsaw and a bobcat to groom some looping trails through your woods/creek to ride on!

Definitely planning on it! I doubt the bobcat will happen for a year or two since we're focusing on the house this year, but it'll happen. :D I like them for 4-wheeling, too!

Bluecreek, there are lots of sites on line that have advice about restoring and preserving old log buildings. I found one about old historic  barns and spent too much time looking.

blue, Welcome to HC, & congratulations on the new farm, sounds like a place that has alot of potential, a place where you can do what you want with.  You can get alot of ideas off the internet, so take your time & have fun as you go.  But would be nice if you keep us updated as you go,  Best Wishes.   PD

Welcome Bluecreek!

Love your barn. Quite a treasure. Years ago I lived on my in-laws farm. They had an old barn. It was painted red. My SIL was the only one who was brave enough to get on the ladder 3 stories high to paint. 

Congratulations on your new farm!

Edited by Danyel

Welcome to HC! Have you ever watched Barnwood Builders on DIY or GAC? They rescue old log structures in W. Virginia. You can learn a lot from them. They have a website and FB page you can ask questions and get answers. You can really see the potential for the old structures. 

That's a nice old barn!  What's the house like?  Oh, and I'm with making about 4.5 acres of that lawn a nice paddock!   What state are you in?  Looks pretty green.

I'm so bummed! We were supposed to close on the house last Friday, but it's been delayed for an unknown amount of time. Hopefully we will close this month! Moving in winter is no fun! 

That's too bad, bluecreek. I know how you were looking forward to it but there are advantages. During the winter, there aren't so many outdoor chores. You can concentrate on moving and working on the inside.

Blue,   Good things come to those who wait. But there are times when things need a bit of a push.  Best Wishes.  PD