Sign in to follow this  
MoonStar

Howdy folks

Just like to say hello again, it's been awhile....like over a decade since I was here.  Glad to be back, the site looks great and is so much easier to get around on.

I'm in southern Iowa on my great grandparents old farm with my husband.  Down to one horse right now, not sure if he was in the picture when I was on here way back when but his name is Sundown and he just turned 17 in July. He's AQHA and the one in my profile pic.

We're still general contractors working on more log homes now that their gaining popularity down around here.  Our son turned 29 in June and lives in KC.  We have two fur babies, Paco and Sassafrass.  Paco is the long hair chihuahua and Sass is the Aussie/Husky/super deluxe riding partner.  I just scooped up 3 barn kitties since my older two passed this summer and the one left, Lil Yelly was having an identity crisis.  So we have Helmet, Hemi & Hoss outside getting adjusted to the move.  I will get some pics up of everyone that tolerates a picture taken (this leaves Sass out almost always, but I still try!!)

It's nice to be back.  I only recognize one person from back in the stone ages here so I look forward to meeting alot of you.

Happy Trails!!

20130515_143406.jpg

20141108_154445.jpg

THANKS!  I believe your right about 17----he just keeps getting better & he had a looooong way to go when I got him.  Couldn't put a brush on him he was so blown up and at 5.  He's been a labor of love but totally worth it.  Paco is a hamball, he likes to ride from the garage to the house and back.  The little silly doesn't know a stranger.

Adorable pup!! And Sundown is a handsome guy :D I'm up in Minnesota, so not too far from you!  I've been through Iowa a few times, but I never had the fortune of going through a part that wasn't all corn fields. Beautiful property! I am a sucker for big trees :)

Moonstar, we had a horse named Sundown when I was a kid. She was a notorious bad loader and usually rode backwards with her head sticking out over the tailgate. Your Sundown looks much more sensible.

Bluecreek what part of MN are you in?  Southern?  I'm spitting distance from MO line down here.  I sure wish I had a ton of those big trees aka timber to ride in here, it's all open so my wittle eyes went green hearing you are stepping into 100 acres of timber!!  That cuts the wind down so much....my giddyup is getting slower on days like those!!

Sunpony LOVES to load up and go...his nose is pretty bent at this point because I haven't replaced the truck to pull the trailer & is convinced I'm teasing him leaving the doors open to get it aired out.  He makes a point to snort at the Jeep too.....he doesn't fit in it!  LMAO!!  I just loathe a bad loader.....they blow my patience in a hurry.  I have seen alot of horses, if given the choice, like to ride backwards.....why I do not know.

22 hours ago, noponies said:

Better balance on the stops is why.

Yeah....I've heard that...why that is I think is they can rock down better on stopping. Saved quite a few rodeo stock out there. Give me a stock trailer over a straightload anyday!!

Sassafrass is beautiful!

My Rocky Mtn mare Dixie rides with her rump pressed against the back wall of the stock slant load.  She really braces herself.

I will post a pic when I get home.  I think she is lovely.  She looks like a dark palomino but she is genetic tested EeAAZZ - Silver Bay.  When she first gets her summer coat you can see the hint of bay in her coloring before the double silver fades her red out.

Dixie in winter and summer.  Last pic is my dun Rocky gelding, Chrome.

Can you see how many people think she's a palomino because of the light mane/tail?

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1154.JPG

OH HAY!!  I can see where she's iffy in summer but not in winter...def RMH!!  What a face!  What do you ride her in? Details please.

She'd look freakin' HIGH COUNTRY in my ranch saddle for sure!!  Rocky looks like a racy buckskin to me...not really up to all the breed profiles & genetics...so many anymore.

Thanky for posting...they are cool beans gf!!

5 hours ago, MoonStar said:

What do you ride her in? Details please.

She'd look freakin' HIGH COUNTRY in my ranch saddle for sure!!

I bought a Tucker Horizon saddle that is super comfortable.  I don't care for saddle horns - don't need 'em and got tired of leaning over and getting my breath punched out of me.  Her bit is a Paso Fino small spoon bit.  The shanks are loosely attached and have a lot of swing to them before they rotate the bit in her mouth.  She is very light on the reins.

I love my cool beans!  I'm going to have to call them my beans, now.

I thought it was an Aussie Endurance or a Tucker.....those Tuckers are WAY off the hook comfy!!  Never rode in one but the ones on the stands....booyahhh!!  How thick a pad do you like under it?

If I was a wonder at photoshop or *** I'd show you what she'd look like under the Rafter W I ride in....just came across a "pad" that actually fits around the horn and helps the old sciatica a ton!!  Those rough outs are harder for this old beehive to giddyup in!!