Sign in to follow this  
Majik13

What's your experience with "Natural" hoof care?

For years we've used the same farrier.  We love him.  He's fast, knowledgeable,  gentle but firm with our mares.  We didn't have to be here when he came. Since we really haven't left the property in ages to ride elsewhere, we have them barefoot. As he's gotten busier (due to a lack of good farriers these days) the main area of his business is really in the next county.  It's not really worth his travel to just have a couple trims.  We understand that (although he did leave us hanging on) and have been trying to find someone we can trust and be happy with.  Through word of mouth, we decided to try a local (right down the road) girl who is a "Natural Hoof Care" person.  Very nice, talked a great game, charged too much.  Took her 2 1/2 hrs to trim two full plus one fronts only.  They hadn't been done in a few weeks over, because of the above problem.  She hardly took anything off, just talked a lot about balancing the hoof, blah, blah, blah.  And how they had to be done every five weeks (at the inflated price).  In between rolling my eyes (couldn't help it), I said that's not going to happen.  Both these mares have great hoofs, never a problem.  Within a week,  the surface of the hoof wall  is chipped back a good inch all around where it meets the ground.  Never, ever had that happen.  Not going to lame them, but it is unsightly.  Going to try someone else next week, if he shows up.  Anybody have an experiences with this? 

I've read a lot about barefoot trimming and have been trimming mine for about nine years. It was out of desperation when a farrier gave my horse a terrible trim and he foundered. I'm not sure he caused it but I'm sure it contributed. It sounds like your new farrier is a born salesperson and should stick with that profession. A good natural trim won't cause a horse to "self trim." However, that's not entirely a bad thing. Your  horses are wearing their feet down to the trim they need. You really need to talk to other horse owners in your area to find a good farrier. And wait until you hear good things about one from several people.

Barefoot trimming is great, if it is done right. Most of them don't do it right. Including this one, or you wouldn't have chips.

Real interested in seeing a barefoot trim....do you do this noponies?  What part of the cornfield are you in here in God's country?

Just had my horse done today. This is the first time my regular farrier has done my horse since I got him. He had been in training so the trainer was doing them. I want to keep him natural for as long as I can. 

He has great heel and hard feet and they are as far as he is concerned exactly what you want. My farrier just takes the toe back and bevels and takes out any flare, makes sure everything is nice and balanced and doesn't hack away at the sole unless it's not even. Since he will be riding on dirt roads a nice hard sole is important. Took about 20 minutes and costs 30$. It's really not a new thing. Your girl might be new at this so it can take a bit longer. And anything over $50 is over charging IMO. My guy has been doing this for a long time and he was telling me today that some of these younger farriers are charging $100 for a trim. I asked him if that was a warning lol. I told him if that was the new going rate I will be getting myself a rasp and some nippers and doing it myself. 

On 9/19/2017 at 0:20 PM, noponies said:

Storm Lake, and not any more. Too old and busted up.

I'd say they named your place right....getting alot of that wet stuff we've been dying for down here in Wayne County aka 5th ring of ****......any chance your pointy finger still works and you might show a gal a thang or two?  Hoof stuff.  HA!!

Got another farrier coming today.  He was trained by our favorite farrier so maybe it'll be good.  This last girl was way too expensive for her experience level.  I'm with you TigerLilly,  I'll do them myself if it comes to it.  I have a 28 year old mare that trims herself.  She's got beautiful, perfectly shaped hoofs.  I can pick up all her feet, but she tries to kill the farrier.  It's my saddle horse, TWH, that does need trims or her outside wall wants to tuck under.  Otherwise, she's got an excellent hoof.  That's why all that chipping really annoyed me.