Sign in to follow this  
Proud Dad

A new week & new month.

Everybody must have been busy over the weekend, as this place has been kinda dead. The sun is out here & I should be outside, but checked the news, & see the report about Las Vegas shooting, leaving 58 dead & 100s injured.  The start of the week just has to get better.  Best Wishes.  PD

That was horrific to read about.  *thoughts/prayers for all of the dead, injured, traumatized and those who love them*

When I woke up I turned on my tablet to get my news in  before the kiddos woke. I was shocked to see what had happened. Cannot imagine the terror those people went through and all of the families that have lost their loved ones. 

It did turn out to be a lovely day as far as the weather goes and the husband stayed home from work to go to a school Parent teacher conference. 

We have been spending time here and there looking for a puppy. Unfortunately no puppies have come available at our local shelter in the last 8 months so we have tried looking at a few rescues in the surrounding area. Found a few candidates. But I got a nasty email from one of the rescues that just turned me off completely. And what's with the surprise home inspections at any point during the dogs life time and right to take the dog back at their own discretion? It doesn't really sound like I would own the dog, more like a not so free lease. Seems a bit much. Maybe I should just find a good breeder? 

Hunting season started, so my spare time is spent in a tree. Trying not to use all my Internet while out there, lol. 

The Vegas thing is awful. I highly doubt it ever could have been stopped, but wonder what makes one do such a horrific thing. We had a murder suicide down the road from me earlier in the year. It was done in front of their 4 kids. I do not question anything anymore. Just hope for the best for our futures.

Edited by PinkTractor

My heart is truly saddened by the Vegas events.  There are no words.

Tonight hubby brought dinner home & mentioned the horrifick tradige the happens & hubby had no idea what I was talking about.  He hadn't read the news all day.

Tiger they seem to be getting crazy with the adoption application the last couple of years.  Our county humane society will not see our business or donations any more after the adoption of Odie.

We have a friend who has always had cats.  The had lost their main coon & wanted another.  Found one at a rescue filled out a 10 pg application only to be told they didn't qualify.  So they found one from a breeder on Craigslist.  It's nuts.

9 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

My heart is truly saddened by the Vegas events.  There are no words.

Tonight hubby brought dinner home & mentioned the horrifick tradige the happens & hubby had no idea what I was talking about.  He hadn't read the news all day.

Tiger they seem to be getting crazy with the adoption application the last couple of years.  Our county humane society will not see our business or donations any more after the adoption of Odie.

We have a friend who has always had cats.  The had lost their main coon & wanted another.  Found one at a rescue filled out a 10 pg application only to be told they didn't qualify.  So they found one from a breeder on Craigslist.  It's nuts.

It's almost as if the adoption agencies don't want the animals going to good homes, the stringent requirements/application process has gotten beyond ridiculous, they'd rather the animals live out their lives in cages/kennels, instead of with families?

The Humane Society in Tucson was picky, if you didn't have a fenced yard, forget about getting a dog, if you allow your cats to go outside, forget about getting a cat........ you'd think, they would do all they could, to put animals into loving homes.

The Vegas incident was truly tragic, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  The mother of one of my husband's drivers,  was killed.

20 minutes ago, noponies said:

You have to wonder about the mentality of some who profess to "rescue"

I agree. I think it is more of a power and control thing for some, not all. The first time I got an animal from a rescue they were a bit pushy about things but I called their bluff and sure enough they did not follow through on their laundry list list of requirements. They contacted me once but only after I reached out to them two days after bringing Bella home to let them know she had a very bad virus, worms, fleas and the spay job their vet did was terrible "according to our vet". Cost about $400 total to treat her. 

Much easier to go out & buy a animal, than to adopt, as most rescues,  have regulations that are not always practical. I just cheked a local horse rescue, & you can't keep adopted horses behind any kind of fence wire. I understand that horses can get cut on wire, but some horses are just accident prone, & could hurt themselves in a padded stall. My horses are behind barb wire, & they respect fences, & don't  get hurt.  My gripe for the day.  PD

6 hours ago, noponies said:

You have to wonder about the mentality of some who profess to "rescue"

oh really?  I happen to specialize in border collies that have no business being a "first dog"  for a family because they're so kyewt.   I know another 10 other people who rehab these dogs, usually a year old or younger and rehome them to suitable environments.  we don't "profess", we do.   they learn to be sociable family dogs with jobs, and more importantly their new owners learn to be sociable and have jobs too.    we teach the owners how to teach the dogs.  capiche?

point being rescue dogs are problem dogs because their OWNERS were the problem. 

And when the "rescue" refuses to place a dog unless the environment is more suited to an autistic CHILD, they are known as hoarders.

I agree with you, Noponies.

I have owned a Border Collie. He fit into the family with little work. We didn't have livestock for him to work but we had 2 little boys to play with.

Our shelter works hard at placing dogs but you don't have to jump through hoops to adopt one. I adopted our last dog from them. She is a black and white Jack Russell. I feel lucky to own her. There are a lot of very nice dogs at the shelter. I don't think I would ever buy another dog. There are too many needing homes.

So one of the rescues contacted me. We will go meet some puppies this weekend. All of them are little ladies. The Black one looks more Shepherd than Black lab but the rescue calls her a lab. The other two are Aussie Heeler crosses and we have a lot more experience with healers than Shepherds. Shpuld be fun to see what their personalities are like. 

received_10207950254994554.png

Edited by TigerLilly

The first one is probably Shepherd/lab mix.

They're all so cute, just take them all!

And here I thought noponies was an alter ego for nick. :rotf:Guess that’s an incorrect thought.

some shelters are absolutely ridiculous though. Our ky inbred mutt we got from the side of the road, after chasing puppies in shelters down there, but if they were a desirable breed/mix, they wouldn’t adopt them out and would ship them north to other rescues. I bought my gsd puppy, because A. Couldn’t find a gsd in shelters, and B. Once I did, I was an automatic no because of young children. Tried to adopt a ferret as well(already have 2) and was a no because of kids. 

Edited by horsecrazybvh

28 minutes ago, horsecrazybvh said:

And here I thought noponies was an alter ego for nick. :rotf:Guess that’s an incorrect thought.

some shelters are absolutely ridiculous though. Our ky inbred mutt we got from the side of the road, after chasing puppies in shelters down there, but if they were a desirable breed/mix, they wouldn’t adopt them out and would ship them north to other rescues. I bought my gsd puppy, because A. Couldn’t find a gsd in shelters, and B. Once I did, I was an automatic no because of young children. Tried to adopt a ferret as well(already have 2) and was a no because of kids. 

Oh dear GOD NO!!!!! What an EVIL thought!!! I smack you, many times!!!

17 minutes ago, noponies said:

Oh dear GOD NO!!!!! What an EVIL thought!!! I smack you, many times!!!

Bahaha! My mind does tend to lean towards the evil side muhahaha 

Tiger, are those 3 pups supposed to be out of the same litter??

(Nevermind, missed the aussie heeler comment)

They look more catahoula pix X to me, there's a gazillion of those down here. hair is too short for an aussie Heeler X, head's too blocky. JMO. 

Edited by redneckcowgirlmn

13 hours ago, horsecrazybvh said:

Yea, apparently kids and critters are a no go :questionicon:

I had German Shepherds the entire time my kids were growing up.....I'm surprised nobody called cps on me......lol..

3 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

Tiger, are those 3 pups supposed to be out of the same litter??

(Nevermind, missed the aussie heeler comment)

They look more catahoula pix X to me, there's a gazillion of those down here. hair is too short for an aussie Heeler X, head's too blocky. JMO. 

They have the mom still with the pups. She looks like a heeler with some possible shepherd mixed in there. Not sure on the dad though. 

Decided that was a good question to ask so I just sent them an email. 

Edited by TigerLilly

They are just plain old American mutts.  Very cute.

Maybe the rescues are afraid of the Shepard's biting someone who advances on the kids.  Not biting the kids.  Told hubby a few times that I'd love to leash a big old doberman to Shortman.  Then I'd feel better about him being all over the property.  No one would go near that kid.

My daughter is adopting a 10 year old family Wirehaired Fox Terrier tomorrow - she wanted to adopt a senior dog who was small enough to travel with.  I have read about the breed, but does anyone have any personal experience with them?

Magic, I had a friend that had one and it would run off every chance it got plus it hated cats!! 

Danyel  - they have been told that it's a dog that you never let off-leash as their instincts will lead them to chase anything.  I also read that they chase cats and can harm them.  My daughter visits us every summer and will likely bring this dog, we have had her former cat n with us for a few years, so we will have to deal with that and keep them separated as necessary.  Hoping that perhaps by age 10, this little lady dog has mellowed...?