MarinaNoelle

Questions on finding work exercising horses?

So I've been riding for just over 10 years now, I'm 15. I'm looking to start saving up and earning a bit of money to either fully lease/own a horse of my own since my family has never had the funds. I was wondering if anybody would have any experience finding what you might call clients in this case I suppose. I'm looking into posting ads at local barns and such and/or asking my current instructor about anybody she knows, although that seems like it would just be a game of waiting for somebody to randomly show up. Is there any way anyone might know to bring in people looking to have their horses worked with? I'm really on a short time-frame here and I need to find a source of income no matter how small sometime soon, but just don't know how to go about doing so. Any advice or help on the subject is appreciated!

Welcome, and first off, I want to say that I admire your determination!  I think the barn your take lessons at would be your best bet and then, as you suggested, branching out to other stables and feed stores.  At 15, you may be limited as to where you can go unless you can drive yourself and/or have a reliable ride at the times necessary.  

The best advice I can give, and this could serve you well as you grow to adulthood, too:  
Find work that pays well so you can *afford* to do/have the things you want.  Horses are expensive to keep, especially if you don't have your own property and must pay board.  Some horses are accident prone, and simply some accidents just happen to good horses, and their vet bills can be steep.

I wish you luck and hope you find a benefactor that will help you further your horse dreams.

Hi & welcome!

Maybe the way to get to what your wanting to do is start at the bottom....stall cleaning!  It's generally an easy in to about any barn needing help or even a fill in the regular staff can call you to go in for them.  Do the trailers, trucks, pens, arenas....anything.  It puts you around the horses, get to know them & their owners....just an idea.

Best of luck!