MarinaNoelle

How do I know if it's time to move on to another instructor?

So I've been riding with the same instructor for 10 years now, and I still feel like I'm in the intermediate stage. I'm really not sure if it's simply due to the fact that she thinks I'm just a slow learner who can't handle anything more than what I'm doing now or if she's simply just burnt out. I would like to start looking into jumping, although I've still never jumped in my life. I'm supposed to start going over small cross rails soon, however I just don't feel like I'm progressing at the rate I should be? I'd like to ask her if it has anything to do with me personally and my learning style, but I don't want her to take it as an insult to her teaching. Any advice?

Lessons for 10yrs and you haven't jumped yet?  (says the person who has never had a lesson in her life)  Does this instructor teach jumping?  If not, then I understand.  But if she does, I think it is ridiculous that you haven't progressed to that stage.  However, because I don't know you I do have to add a caveat - answering frankly, how often do you ride between lessons and what level are your riding skills at today?  On the off chance your riding skills are stagnant and have not progressed for some time, perhaps challenging you with jumping lessons could be the kickstart you need so you can progress forward instead of doing the same-old-same-old.

find a new instructor.  10 years and you've never gone over cross poles.  be nice to her but just point out that 10 years is a long time to have made no progress.  I was with a dressage instructor for 2 years and didn't come further than shoulder in and leg yield.  switched instructors and in six months ( on an 11 year old horse) I was riding counter canter, traver, renver, traversal, two tempi changes. 

be nice but fire her.  ridiculous and outrageous expenditure of money for nothing.