Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Registering Cremellos. Good or bad?

Hi there.  I am not really up on AQHA or APHA breeding or showing, but I was curious what people thought about the changes since they changed the rule to allow cremellos to be registered.  There was certainly a color thirst for buckskins, grullos, and palominos before the rule change, which may have led to poor breeding practices to get those coveted colors, but since then, has that changed?  Are buckskins and palominos a dime a dozen now?  Do people routinely show cremellos, or is there still a stigma against them?   What about perlinos?  They do kind of look neat, I must admit.

Edited by little cow

This link is pretty informative.  I think the information is mostly true (it's breeder, so they might be a bit biased).  I always thought pink skin around the eyes and muzzle meant more sunburn issues.   This website says it isn't an issue with cremellos and perlinos.  Does anyone have experience?

http://www.odysseyranch.com/What is a Cremello!!.html

Edited by little cow

My High School/College friend breeds Foundation Quarter Horses.  She has a Perlino mare that she has had several Cremello and Perlino foals from by her stallions (a Dun Palomino - now deceased, and a Buckskin).  The double dilute offspring are successfully shown and typically sell quicker than her other foals. She had one of her earlier Cremello stud colts come back to breed a few of her unrelated mares for guaranteed color foals.
This year she retained a Cremello colt as her future stud as he has bloodlines from her deceased stallion.

https://www.facebook.com/collinsranchhorsesales/

I wanted to add my opinion about registering the double dilutes - I think it is a Good Thing.  Cream is a color gene and it doesn't affect the horse's conformation or performance.  I never understood why registries decided to deny the double dilutes, other than color bias. 
I wonder if the Fjord registries are still discriminatory against double dilutes?

Edited by Heidi n Q