Sign in to follow this  
Heidi n Q

Snotty Nose

Ugh.  I went out to the barn this evening to show Leo to my BIL and Leo has a snotty nose, R nostril. 

The mucus has a slight tinge of color and slightly thickened.  I will have to look at it in daylight as 2 bulbs need to be replaced and the single bulb was insufficent.  I wiped it with the sleeve of my barncoat and the sleeve has dried with no stiffness at all or anything resembling a booger.  I went out to see him again about an hour later and the snot had returned, same amount and consistency.

Leo is bright and active, no elevated heart rate or respirations and he is not coughing.  I put my ear to his chest but could only hear gut sounds.  I need to pick up another stethoscope as I can't find ours and I should probably get and familiarize myself with a livestock thermometer.

I'll give my vet office a call tomorrow to set up an appointment but I believe they will be closed and will probably have to call Monday.  I do not feel this is an emergency but if that changes tomorrow, I have no problem taking him for an emergency visit or calling a vet out.

Leo is separated by a hotwire fence from Dixie and Chrome but they share a water tank, so I imagine they will come down with whatever this is within a week or so.  

I do not have experience with this and since I don't know what this is I do not feel comfortable treating on my own or taking a wait-and-see approach. 
Any advice about what I *should* be doing and/or what I can expect?

Edited by Heidi n Q

Heidi,  I hope the snotty nose on Leo, is nothing serious, being shipped across country, he could have picked up a bug, that took a while to develop.   Your proactive approach, no doubt will make a difference, in any recovery, if need be.  It could be just a allergy, in his new surrounding, that he won't be a problem with time.  I wish you & Leo well.  Best Wishes. PD

Thank you, PD.  I hope it is nothing but since I just got him, I would rather err on the side of caution.  I didn't think of an allergy, we do have vastly different greenery and pollens here than in WA.  I also wonder if he got a sprig of hay or dust up his nostril during travel.  I guess it could be anything, really.

I'm sure you've thought of shipping fever, although the window for that is pretty close. Short of a vet visit, I think your best bet is borrow or buy a thermometer and check his temp.

Sounds like shipping fever. I bought two mares from Texas and they both came down with it. They were stalled next to three other horses and it did not spread throughout the barn.

6 hours ago, jubal said:

I'm sure you've thought of shipping fever, although the window for that is pretty close. Short of a vet visit, I think your best bet is borrow or buy a thermometer and check his temp.

I'm ashamed to say I never thought of shipping fever, I've never had a horse sick so I am unfamiliar with anything other than age, colic or lameness issues.

So I called my other horse vet (same one that did IRAP treatment for Reina) and she thinks this does not warrant an emergency call.  She advised me to call Monday morning and we'll discuss and possibly set up an appointment.

My horses would randomly get runny noses every once in a while. If there were no changes in attitude, or odd colors/smells, we would just keep an eye on them. Mine were never anything that needed a vets attention 

My first thought was Strangles. If your other horses haven't had it before, it's likely they will get it... Do any of them have bumps under their chins?

I had to run back down to the barn to check.  No bumps along lower jaw from neck/jawbone to chin groove.  
Keeping an eye on things and contacting the vet if there are any changes, especially in demeanor, eating or coughing - of which there have been no changes yet.

In the hollow between the cheekbones, next to the windpipe, then down in the hollow where the windpipe goes to the chest.

I'll check when I get home from work.  I did make an appt. w/ vet for tomorrow between 9:30-11am and she'll see all three.

I checked all three when I got home from work and didn't feel any unusual lumps.  

However, in solidarity with Leo, my nose is now running, too.  

Heidi ,my horses have all been sick with snotty noses and coughing. In all the years of owning horses i've never dealt with snotty nosed coughing horses. Had vet out for mine and he put them on SMZ meds for 10 days,into day two of doing medication.  

Vet came out and checked vitals - all good and no fever.  She ran an SAA blood test from her truck that took about 10min to get the results.  She said anything over 50 shows an infection and his number was around 650.  Based on her exam, she believes this is a sinus issue, not involving the lungs, so she gave him 2 shots of Excede and if the snotty nose is still present on Friday I am to call and she'll come out Saturday for another round of Excede shots.

Total for today's visit was $173.

I am experiencing pretty much the same thing. I think it is a highly resistant cold bug as my guys have all been vaccinated for the ordinary stuff. I was at a trail ride last week with two of my horses. There were very few horses in the barn but down about 10 or 12 stalls there was a horse that was coughing. His owner had the vet over to see him and was given a shot and instructed not to ride him for a few days. Several days later my palomino started coughing a little. I don't feel like he ever got a fever and his nose ran only slightly BUT now that I am back home the other horse (that I had there) has a bad runny nose and has coughed a little bit and one of the horses left at home now has a bad runny nose and a cough. I gave them shots of penicillin yesterday and am anxious to see how they are doing today!

DDK, I hope the penicillin does the trick for your ponies.  Leo is feeling much better.  At midnight last night, I took him for a walk with my friend and her 2 dogs.  We walked a mile (.5mi down and back) with flashlights but there was no traffic.  Friend's dogs kept looking at "the big dog" I was walking but after 5min, they didn't think anything was strange and were just happy to be out walking.  

No snotty nose this morning, YEA!