Sign in to follow this  
TigerLilly

For those that use water heaters

I have my horse out at my father's property and I will need to hook up a small water heater to keep the water from freezing. Do any if you have an idea as to how much those cost to run? 

They vary quite a bit. Best to read the info for the ones you are interested in. And there's always the solar ones.

TL,  I think you can find one for $50.00 or less at most hardware & farm type stores,  I would look on line, & you might get a better idea of what works best for you, if nothing else take your dad along. Dads always give good advice.  Best Wishes. PD

Stock tank heater?  I use a submerged heater then run a extension cord from m g house. It always did the trick in our sub zero weather.

Heater new cost maybe $20-30?  Last one I bought found it brand new at a rummage sale.

The cost to run the average stock tank heater, is figured at  50 cents a day,  like anything else there are many variables to consider. PD

In the north sad to say you don't think of energy use when it come to heating.  It is something that is needed.  My wosrt power bill years were there ones we had the old Petti Bone front end loader plugged in just to have if needed for snow removal.

The hump you have to get you brain around are the every day cost to have every day service.  On a daily basis we deal on big ticket cost to keep equipment running.  You have to do what is needed to keep said item running.  Water freezes air freezes, fuel filters loves to gel up, torpedo heaters can be man's best friend.  Salt is better than sand.

So depending on how one process something will determine in the out come.

So what is you Max requirement.

It supposed to be a colder than normal winter in the southeast.  I don't know what the rest of the country is expecting.  I never use a tank heater down here, but I do have to break ice in the winter on occasion.  One year, the tanks froze into a solid block.  Hadn't seen that since I lived up north.  I hope it doesn't get that cold here this winter. 

I used a heater similar to RRW's when I lived in Colorado and Virginia.  When I was in Rhode Island, the barn I where I boarded had electricity in the barn.  That made it much easier for everything; stock tank heaters, lighting, feeding medicines and supplements using a hot pot, and many other conveniences. 

We ran a line to our barn down here as well.  It really helps with the vet visits as well as lighting, repairs, etc...  If you can afford it, or if your dad sees the benefit, it is very much worthwhile to have electricity in your barn. 

Are you already breaking ice, or do you have time still?  If the ground isn't frozen yet, you could even run an electric line underground to your tanks, instead of relying on extension cords.