Sign in to follow this  
little cow

What classes would YOU have in a horse show?

I thought this would be a fun topic.  Regardless of breed, it seems like all horse shows are just trend events and have very little to do with the longevity and usability of horses.  I would love to have a fun open show and make up classes designed to compare horses based on everything BUT whatever is trendy.  I want a place where average people can haul their good using horse.  Also, breeders can show off their broodies.  Trainers can show off their work, vets can judge based more on conformation than breed (while explaining why they picked the horses to educate people), and farriers can educate a little by judging feet.

Here are my choices for classes:

1)  I love the idea behind ranch classes, so those would be fun.  No need for cattle, though.  It's cheaper to just demonstrate roping on dummies.  Horsemanship type pattern and horses should ground tie as well as handle gates with ease.  

2)  How about a broodmare class for mares who have had two or more foals?  They need to be presented at halter and compared to the standard of their breed, PLUS, overall conformation based on soundness and longevity (I'd want vets as judges).  

3)  Trail/obstacle courses are awesome.  Nothing too crazy, but flags, mailbox, slicker, stuff like that.  

4)  Fun classes for kids, like bareback and egg and spoon races.

5)  Arena manners class to demonstrate how well-behaved your horse and how well you know the rules of sharing an arena with other riders.  

6)  Campaigner class for 20 or older.  Show off your old husband/kid/trail/therapy horse.  I'd love to see the horses that are still sound and usable in their old age.  Make them perk up in the arena and have their time to shine.

7)  Farrier's class.  Show off your horse's great feet.  Judged by a couple of local farriers.  

8)  Freestyle trainer's class.  This would be a fun way for local trainers to show off their horses.  Each one has a certain amount of time to demonstrate how well trained their horses are.  Kind of like a mini Extreme Mustang event.  Extra points based on how green the horses is.  

-No papers necessary.  Just bring your groomed horse (no clipping, hoof polish, banding etc...necessary).  Just clean and groomed.  Old horses with Cushings need only to be clipped only if it makes them more comfortable.  

Would you guys have fun at such a show?  What classes would you have if you held a fun show?  

Edited by little cow

It would be hard to get large animal vets for judging, but I do know some retired ones that might enjoy it. 

Around here, the major horses events are the jackpot barrel races.  Not my sort of thing.  I saw too many lame barrel horses when I rode with our vet.  If the bill was more than $150, they just sent them to auction and found another cheap CL horse.  Most of the horses were ONLY ridden at barrel races:  No conditioning.  Most horse sale ads around here discourage the use of the horse for barrels to chase those buyers away.  :(

Edited by little cow

That sounds like a fun way to do a show. One that anyone could do.

I love doing trail and obstacle classes. My horses likes those classes to as well as cutting and jumping.  

I thought of another funny one.  Pony recall.  One by one, riders bring their horse or pony into the arena, turn them loose, and then call them to see if they will come.   It would be fun for the kids as the last class of the day when everyone has stripped their mounts of tack.  It could otherwise be known as 'turn your horse loose to roll' class, lol!

Edited by little cow

When I was a kid, our neighborhood pony club played broomstick polo with brooms and a volley ball. The "goals" were the ends of the arena. It was fun and easier if you had a "barn broom" with the bristles worn down to the stitching.

I remember a keyhole race, involved going really fast down an arena, stopping and turning in a defined space not much bigger than a horse, and running really fast back.