Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Has anyone not been sexually harassed?

If you were, how did you handle it?  I have some stories because I worked in mostly male-dominated fields.  One example was when a co-worker grabbed my wrists and pulled me towards him.  I spun him around, slammed him against the wall, and told him to never touch me again.  He was bigger, but I was angrier.  He never bothered me again.   I was young and didn't report it because I needed that job.  

If you've never been harassed (whether you are male or female), well, good!   

Have you ever stopped someone else from being harassed?

I've been around so long that it wasn't called sexual harassment in the workplace. They were just jerks that we warned others about. I quit one good job because one of the jerks was made my boss. That said, I've never had someone in a job actually lay hands on me. I'm sure my reaction would have been the same as yours.

I have been, many times. One of the first was when I was in my early 20's. I was a waitress at a truck stop. A trucker grab my butt when my back was to him. I wheeled around and told him never to touch me again. The manager was close enough to hear and see what happened. She called me into her office and told me if I ever talked to one of her good customers like that again, she would fire me!!

I was present when my boyfriend was being sexually harassed outside a mall when we were 15 or 16. 

My Mother had dropped us off with my younger sister and his younger brother to see a movie.  We were waiting for her outside where she was going to come pick us up.  Two older girls (late teens or early 20s) exited the mall and waited at the curb near us.  When their attention turned to us they began speaking to each other, in voices we could clearly hear, in a sexually explicit and speculative manner about my bf.  

We didn't know what to do.  They were older, we had younger kids with us and we needed to stay there for my Mom to pick us up.  We decided to not go back into the building but walk away down the sidewalk, where my Mom would still be able to see us when she drove up, and hope the girls didn't follow us to continue their harassment.  As we were walking away, a car picked up those girls and we were able to return to our designated waiting spot.  It definitely put a damper on our day.

Older me thinking about this, I'm still not sure I'd advise younger me to confront them because I still don't know what could have been said to shut them up, but I'd have probably suggested going back inside the mall.  If the girls followed, then I'd recommend going to the nearest business and finding an adult.  If not to tell (what is an employee going to be able to do, it isn't like finding a teacher at a school) at least in the hopes the girls would halt their behavior around adult witnesses in positions of authority.

I do count myself lucky that this is the extent of my personal experience with sexual harassment.

In my opinion it takes a bully & a coward to harass a girl or a woman,  I think it is great, that women now feel empowered to come forward , maybe less of this will happened in the future. I have 3 grandaughters  from 11 to 15 years old,  their futures are bright,  but these kinds of incidents can do a number on a young person emotionally, & destroy a bright future.  I have no tolorence for boys that think they are men that do that take advantage of others.  Just glad I'm not the judge, & someone else is.  PD

Thanks for posting this.  I worked for the oil and gas industry for 12 years in my 20’s.  On one occasion I was invited to dinner and to spend the night at the home of an employee of an oil concern and his blind wife because he and I were going to the same meeting the next morning.  He insisted on holding my hand the entire time.    I never reported it.    I didn’t want to hurt the wife.

I have no tolorence for boys that think they are men that do that take advantage of others. 

What a succinct way of stating this.