Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Song Redneck Crazy. Good song or stalker song?

I looked up the lyrics.  Yikes!  I would be calling the cops if some ex was on my lawn at 3 in the morning drinking beer cans and throwing them at me.  :o

This guy wrote alternative lyrics.  Start at 1:45, if you want to hear the song and avoid the bad language in the intro (he's pretty worked up about how much he hates this song).  

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/aaron-lewis-slams-tyler-farrs-redneck-crazy-in-alt-version/

This quote from the person who rewrote the song says it all. And not just about country music.

“There’s a lack of character reflected in a lot of what you hear in popular country today,” says Zach. “And no matter which way you spin it, ‘…the kind of man that shows up at your house at 3 AM’ is not the kind of man anyone would want their daughters or sons hanging around with.”

I googled the lyrics.  Having worked for two Sheriff Offices as a secretary entering Deputy reports and CID investigations, yeah, this song raises my hackles!  Protagonist of this song needs a TPO (temporary protection order against domestic violence) like yesterday.

911 Operator:  "911, what's your emergency?"

Woman:  "My ex-boyfriend is on my front lawn yelling.  I'm in the house alone and I'm scared."

911 Operator:  "Is he on foot or in a vehicle?"

Woman:  "He's in a black Silverado pick up and he drove up on my lawn."

911 Operator:  "Does he have any weapons?"

Woman:  "He has a few guns...a rifle, I think, two handguns, but I don't know if he has them with him."

911 Operator:  "Does he keep any weapons in his car?"

Woman:  "He keeps a handgun in his glove box."

911 Operator:  "What is he doing right now?"

Woman:  "He's throwing something at my house."

911 Operator:  "Okay, ma'am, I have officers on the way, is he approaching your house?"

Woman:  "I think he's drunk, but he keeps walking around in the yard and throwing things at my house.  I think they're cans."

911 Operator:  "Ma'am, please stay away from the windows.  Go to the back of your house.  The officers are almost there."

Not much worse, actually, than some of the lyrics you hear in rap 'songs'.....these days, anything goes, it seems.  It's rather disgusting, what is allowed and, passes for entertainment.......sign of the times.

Country used to be the 'safe' music I could have in the background when our son was really little.  Not anymore!   He likes Christian music anyway.  So far, that hasn't turned ugly.  Most of the time, we listen to my incredibly eclectic iPod music.  Classical, old Country (90s), Christian, classic Rock, R&B, Blues, Bluegrass, really old Blues, Soundtracks, and some Irish music.  I think I even have some clean Rap songs.  It's all safe.  Except for a few Irish drinking songs, lol!  Dang Irish.  Don't trust them.  :crazy:

Edited by little cow

how would this be any different from our commander in chief's interview with billy bush?    he says it's okay to to do this kind of crap.

Get real. This "kind of crap" has been going on for quite a few years longer than we have had our current president. You are strongly bordering on the childish with your constant rant on the present prez.

4 hours ago, nick said:

how would this be any different from our commander in chief's interview with billy bush?   

Here are what I believe the main differences are:

1. This song was deliberately produced for mass marketing.  
Its' intention is to be widely played on stations whose listeners could be impressionable and led to believe this behavior is a 'normal' occurrence.  It is a *common* occurrence, but should never be normalized, IMO.  The behavior borders on terroristic, absolutely appears threatening and in many instances is illegal.

2. Trump's lurid comments in the 2005 interview with Bush were stated off-the-record (meaning it was not part of the interview but casual talk among the people present) and not intended for airing.
His comments were later revealed in 2016 by The Washington Post in an effort to expose the man's entitled attitude and his disregard for respectful behavior towards women.

In a nutshell: 
Let's make a song for the radio about men stalking ex-girlfriends.
Let's share this 11 year old sound-bite.

In both cases, I don't feel either is appropriate behavior to espouse, but the difference between the two is great:  One is deliberate - meaning someone thought it was fine to produce a song about stalking behavior for mass marketing.  One is a private conversation that was recorded but later revealed by a newspaper in an effort to harm the candidate's potential for voters.

"In both cases, I don't feel either is appropriate behavior to espouse, but the difference between the two is great:  One is deliberate - meaning someone thought it was fine to produce a song about stalking behavior for mass marketing.  One is a private conversation that was recorded but later revealed by a newspaper in an effort to [ warn the candidate's potential voters.] "

I agree with your premise except for the part in brackets that I changed.

12 hours ago, noponies said:

Get real. This "kind of crap" has been going on for quite a few years longer than we have had our current president. You are strongly bordering on the childish with your constant rant on the present prez.

if you have such a problem with my opinions why don't you just block my posts?    and in addition, to say that this has "been going on for quite a few years longer than we have had our current president" is a pathetic excuse for this kind of behavior.  if i'm not mistaken that's the rationale "du jour" popular among the perps.  (Oh the devil made me do it), 

Jubal, with all due respect it was not a "private conversation".  trump knew he was being filmed and that the interview would be aired.  there were 7 other men on the bus, including billy bush. 

but what I find even more disturbing and repeating the fashionable pattern by other predators is that he's now denying that he was even there.   maybe north korea is right in contending he is a "dotard",  (look it up in mirriam or Webster). 

Edited by nick
spelling

What is pathetic is your disturbing attempts to blame all the country's evils on the current president, especially the ones that has been going on for many years. It's not an excuse, as you call it. Its a FACT. You appear to have no connect with reality, and THAT is what disturbs me. Its that sort who flip out and cause harm.

Edited by noponies

you're ´certainly reading a lot into my post.  i'm not blaming all of the current ills we're confronting on the Donald--I don't think he has that much power.  choosing to recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel was certainly just plain stupid and moreover malicious, but for the purposeof this thread all I am saying that he is setting the wrong kind of example for men and women in this country and around the world--the poster boy for bad actors in positions of power,  just like JFK, Clinton, Jefferson and countless others.    as a woman who has experienced sexual harassment I think I have something factual to say about it.   and just block me for crying out loud  if I worry you that much.   (and by the way this is the internet--also not exactly "reality".)

You CAN block me, you know.  Also, you would have to be pretty slow witted to think men never get sexually harassed. YOU do it to me all the time.

9 hours ago, nick said:

Jubal, with all due respect it was not a "private conversation".  trump knew he was being filmed and that the interview would be aired.  there were 7 other men on the bus, including billy bush. 

It was not Jubal who stated this, it was me.

19 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

[snip]
2. Trump's lurid comments in the 2005 interview with Bush were stated off-the-record (meaning it was not part of the interview but casual talk among the people present) and not intended for airing.
His comments were later revealed in 2016 by The Washington Post in an effort to expose the man's entitled attitude and his disregard for respectful behavior towards women.
[snip] .... is a private conversation that was recorded but later revealed by a newspaper in an effort to harm the candidate's potential for voters.

I stand by my statements.  It is you who misunderstood my meaning.  If my use of the word "private" in the later part of my post confused you, I apologize.  

I dislike most modern" country and this song is no different. In my mind, this song gives permission to show "love" in this manner. Yuck. 

On 12/11/2017 at 1:10 PM, noponies said:

You CAN block me, you know.  Also, you would have to be pretty slow witted to think men never get sexually harassed. YOU do it to me all the time.

What???  When and where.  In cyberspace?   Now where’s the reality disconnect?

i feel no need to block your posts nor anyone else on these boards.  I don’t take what happens on social media as reality.  

Back to the lyrics—not a big country music authority but the majority of what I’ve heard seems to deal with hearts getting broken and women being abused.  Reflective of the culture?

Not to mention all the cheating and sleeping around, which is certainly reflective of the culture. And it isn't just the women being abused either. MANY men are abused by women daily. Why does none of THAT get the media going? The nick gets pretty abusive here on a regular basis.

On 12/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, kdrown said:

I dislike most modern" country and this song is no different. In my mind, this song gives permission to show "love" in this manner. Yuck. 

I agree with this.  There have been many cheatin' songs, but there are far too many violence against women and revenge by women songs for my liking.  I had a teachable moment with our son after we heard a song on the radio about a wife poisoning a husband for abuse.  I explained what spousal abuse was and the appropriate response to it (call the police; get somewhere safe).  You aren't helping spousal abuse by suggesting murder as a response.  

Our nine year old has been taught from a very young age about the inherent dignity of both men and women.  He can point out magazines at the grocery store that are being disrespectful to women.  He knows the difference between artwork showing women in a respectful way and trashy poses on magazines (these are mainstream magazines).  He knows that every woman should be treated in the same respectful way, regardless of how they talk, dress, or act.  He knows to never hit a girl or anyone weaker than him (boys his size are fair game, if they are going after him).  Last week, he came home from school complaining of sore feet after a girl kept stomping on them during a group picture.  He said that he let the teacher know afterwards but the only thing he did while it was happening was ask her to stop (it has been addressed).  We are doing everything we can to raise a gentleman.   Thank you, country music, for making my job harder.  :(

Edited by little cow

You'd think country music would be the 'easier' music for families to live by.  It used to be.  Seems when it turned pop/rock-country is when it changed.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:43 PM, noponies said:

Oh, and nick? I can't see where ANY form of reality ever scans on your radar.

Your first amendment right.  Now can we get back to the thread if we may?   It’s important.