Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Song Redneck Crazy. Good song or stalker song?

Country songs have never been very politically correct or kind to women. Lots of cheating, lots of leaving and lots of getting drunk. I don't know if that appeals to most fans or not. But I sing right along with "Your Cheatin' Heart," "Good Hearted Woman" and all the rest of the oldies. However, I haven't heard the song in question and probably won't.

I do not listen to much newer country so had to watch the video. 

It's gross.

I have an abusive ex that did stalk me. He got me fired because he showed up to my job. He had his friends calling me all hours of the night with threats. He was violent and unpredictable. He threatened to bury me alive in the ground where nobody would find me, and sexually assaulted me. He would show up to my home uninvited and refuse to leave. So maybe this is a trigger subject for me.

This song just glorified that type of behavior. I'm a different woman now. Someone behaved that way towards me they would be well acquainted with the business end of a shot gun. Unfortunately law enforcement were not much help to me dealing with my ex. 

I don't care what genre of music it is, lyrics like this are disturbing. 

1 hour ago, TigerLilly said:

I do not listen to much newer country so had to watch the video. 

It's gross.

I have an abusive ex that did stalk me. He got me fired because he showed up to my job. He had his friends calling me all hours of the night with threats. He was violent and unpredictable. He threatened to bury me alive in the ground where nobody would find me, and sexually assaulted me. He would show up to my home uninvited and refuse to leave. So maybe this is a trigger subject for me.

This song just glorified that type of behavior. I'm a different woman now. Someone behaved that way towards me they would be well acquainted with the business end of a shot gun. Unfortunately law enforcement were not much help to me dealing with my ex. 

I don't care what genre of music it is, lyrics like this are disturbing. 

Unfortunately, there are many men in law enforcement who don't have a good grasp of what is abusive. However, what you describe should have gotten your ex locked up.

26 minutes ago, jubal said:

Unfortunately, there are many men in law enforcement who don't have a good grasp of what is abusive. However, what you describe should have gotten your ex locked up.

For sure. I think had it happened in another state things would not have went on the way they did. 

TL,    I'm sorry you were abused by your ex husband, men like him are jerks.  The problem is, they to often get away with it,  as for every man that is found guilty sexual assault, there are to many that get away with it. I like to think these guys are a minority of the population,  but then one is to many.   As boys like these, muddy the waters for men that treat ladies like they should be treated.  I can agree that exposure to song lyrics such as mentioned above, can  make it seem like aggressive  behavior is okay.  My hat is off to all you ladies. PD

Edited by Proud Dad

alas, domestic violence is one of the last things the police want to have to deal with.     in any country world-wide.  the woman is told to "deal with it". 

In the wake of recent sexual harassment scandals and shake-ups at work places, I'd like to see the laws change and become tougher for sexual offenders.  A clear message needs to be sent that this type of aggressive stalking and abusive behavior will not be tolerated.  If laws change, officers can do much more to keep those who are being abused safe, rather than only being able to respond with action after-the-fact.

1 hour ago, nick said:

enforcement is the issue.  law enforcement not just new laws. 

I'm aware current laws need to be enforced.  However, sometimes changes need to be made to the laws in order to help law enforcement do their jobs to help keep the population safe/r.  Bold and underlining cannot change this fact. 

IMO, the way most law enforcement has to work within the parameters of the domestic violence laws, ties their hands very badly and this allows for situations where people become hurt/killed ... if only LE could have done *more* to restrain the offender at the initial contact, perhaps that victim would be uninjured or alive.

Social pressure on morons that write songs glorifying stalking and abuse of women would be a positive move.  It would be nice if abusive dirty movies were less available as well.  That industry is apparently appealing more and more to the 50 shades crowd and beyond.  I guess when you've done it all, you look for the next step.