Sign in to follow this  
Heidi n Q

I love my Tongass Riding Skirt from Arctic Horse!

I love this skirt! 
(I copied/pasted the following from my FB and I'm riding Dixie Pie)

My legs stayed warm and I liked that it also kept my mare's rump warm in the cold weather. I will especially like this for fall/winter riding/camping. I also noticed that my feet/toes didn't feel like blocks of ice when I dismounted so I believe it helped with circulation.   It was 46* with a stiff breeze when we rode.  The only thing I didn't care for was the fleece lining kept wanting to 'creep' down her rump from the grab of her hair. It kept a light tug at my waist. I thought about lining the center back with a taffeta fabric but I also don't want to increase any chance of static shock so I have to think on this a while.

It is made to be worn when mounting. There are snaps at the bottom front edges that snap at the waistband to lift the front edges up/away from your feet/legs as you mount. When I stepped up and swung my leg over, the skirt sort of flared and floated over the horse's rump. I made a couple tugs to center it, unsnapped the bottom edges to let them cover my legs and off we went. 
The skirt also has two elastic bands at the lower, front edge of the skirt that you slip your feet through and that helps keep the skirt over your legs when it is windy or if you are riding fast. We did a slow ride today because I didn't want sweaty horses for the ride home so I didn't slip my legs through.
I am not sure if you put your legs through the elastic before you mount or after you mount and once I was up, I didn't really want to be swinging my legs around trying to get them through a loop while mounted. I will have to try it different ways to see how that works.

But as far as keeping my legs warm? WIN! The warmth of the horse also kept my bumm warm, too.

Image may contain: 1 person, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Edited by Heidi n Q

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

I love this skirt! 
(I copied/pasted the following from my FB and I'm riding Dixie Pie)

My legs stayed warm and I liked that it also kept my mare's rump warm in the cold weather. I will especially like this for fall/winter riding/camping. I also noticed that my feet/toes didn't feel like blocks of ice when I dismounted so I believe it helped with circulation.   It was 46* with a stiff breeze when we rode.  The only thing I didn't care for was the fleece lining kept wanting to 'creep' down her rump from the grab of her hair. It kept a light tug at my waist. I thought about lining the center back with a taffeta fabric but I also don't want to increase any chance of static shock so I have to think on this a while.

It is made to be worn when mounting. There are snaps at the bottom front edges that snap at the waistband to lift the front edges up/away from your feet/legs as you mount. When I stepped up and swung my leg over, the skirt sort of flared and floated over the horse's rump. I made a couple tugs to center it, unsnapped the bottom edges to let them cover my legs and off we went. 
The skirt also has two elastic bands at the lower, front edge of the skirt that you slip your feet through and that helps keep the skirt over your legs when it is windy or if you are riding fast. We did a slow ride today because I didn't want sweaty horses for the ride home so I didn't slip my legs through.
I am not sure if you put your legs through the elastic before you mount or after you mount and once I was up, I didn't really want to be swinging my legs around trying to get them through a loop while mounted. I will have to try it different ways to see how that works.

But as far as keeping my legs warm? WIN! The warmth of the horse also kept my bumm warm, too.

Image may contain: 1 person, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

You look nice and toasty, how many layers are you wearing?  It's nice!

A lot!  T-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve 1/4 zip fleece top, thick fleece vest.  Under the skirt is just leggings and my tall Dublin boots.

Heidi - that's cool!  Keep us posted as you use it to see what you think - I get a little claustrophobic with clothes that make me feel confined, I don't know if I would like it or not!?

It look great!  I do wonder if it would potentially get caught up in the tack during an emergency dismount?  I like that my jeans allow me to separate from the horse quickly in an emergency.  

I had the same concern but after riding in it, I do not see how it could become entangled in the tack.  It would entangle my legs after dismount more than getting caught up in the stirrup leathers while dismounting.