Sign in to follow this  
ohio_cowgirl027

How many horses do you own?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask everyone how many horses they personally own and how much time you actually spend time riding.

We have our own small little property and currently have 8 horses and a mini donkey.  Last year I downsized to 5 head and then my mother in-law passed and we ended up with 3 of their horses, so we are back up to 8.  I love horses and I love to ride but I look back at the last couple of years and the girl that loves to ride has not gotten to ride much at all.  In fact I feel like all I do is barn work and by the time I'm ready to ride, I'm too tired.  My husband helps out around the barn when needed but for the most part he says the horses are my thing not his and I understand that.  He rides occasionally.  I thought about doing an onsite lease with a few but then I have to deal with people on my property and liability and that stuff.  So how do you decide when its time to just really cut back and which ones to sell. I've been lucky the last few I sold went to good homes and still get updates of them.  I'm just at the point of my life where I feel have less is more.   

I think everyone has, or will, face this decision.  I have three, the most I've ever owned at one time.  I rotate who I ride, but each horse gets ridden between 2-5hrs a week.  I would probably do better with only two but when the opportunity for the third came along, I couldn't pass him up.

The best thing you can do is ride first.  Chores will *always* be there but riding time has to be carved out of a day and jealously guarded against being whittled away.

I have one! It would probably be better for him to have another, but I don't want the work. I can see how you have very little time to ride when you have eight to care for. Are they turned out? Mine has foundered and can't be out for long or without a muzzle. So he's labor intensive. And that makes it necessary to keep him exercised. So I ride every day the weather permits.

Heidi, yours are out 24/7 aren't they? You have a good setup that minimizes labor. Do you have a stall you can use if one is sick?

Mine are out all the time with a large run-in shelter.  I use pipe panels to wall off part of the run in, turning it into a large "stall" for anyone requiring stall-time.  I do believe my horses are as easy-care as I can get.  Pellets in the morning, scoop all poop out of the run-in and check water.  10-20min in the morning.  Quick check at night before bed to make sure everyone still has 4 legs and I'm good.

I have 39 horses, mules and donkeys. I would never have this many if I had to scoop poop, haul feed and hay or run water for them twice a day! My herd is out 24/7 on 1200 acres so I only feed my pony mule team and my mini donkey that are kept penned up. If I could talk my husband in to it, the little mules would be out also. Thankfully, my pasture is excellent and my animals are fat and happy with no help from me. 

We don't ride much at all in the winter but ride a lot in the spring/summer and fall. We like to camp and ride and we ride in parades and such all year. 

I have 2 horses and a mini-mule. In the past couple of years, I have slowed down on riding as much as I should--partly because I have felt bad about my body; about being overweight and partly because I work nearly 7 days a week in the summer. I also have nearly nobody to ride with. While I trust my gelding with my life, my little brown mare is a bit....birdie. The mini-mule started out as a driving project, but the cart was ran over by a tractor and I haven't felt the need to replace it, so he sits and is just something cute to pet and love on. He's also deathly afraid of children--despite never having a bad experience with them and being socialized early as a youngster (loads of hauling, shows, etc...). :crazy:

Anyway, there are days I think to myself, perhaps I should get rid of the whole lot as I don't do much with them--but then again, I know we are soon buying a home where I will have them with me right there. We are planning to build a nice barn with an indoor arena, so I hope that I'll want to ride more then. I also have lost over 20lbs now and continue to work towards bettering myself so that I will want to ride and be better for my horses. 

So...that's my rant. lol. 

One bonafide horse, but she is 27 and mostly retired.  Our son has his pony, and we have a family donkey.  That's it, for now.  We need a new family horse and a husband horse.  The family horse will be for me and John, when he outgrows the Shetland Pony.  We will be moving in the spring, so no more until after we move.  You guys know what that means....horse shopping in the fall!!  :jump:

I have 3, a aged mare, that is no longer sound, & 2 geldings that I ride, but not much during the winter,  my rides these days are often short, & not as motivated as I once was, but I'm not ready to quit yet either.  PD

Do you have other critters that you enjoy, noponies?

If I never owned another horse, I would be very happy with a donkey.  Or, a few of our sheep and/or a favorite old cow.  

If you are really worried about getting a puppy or kitten, maybe a sweet older pet from the pound?  Right now, there are plenty of them, all bored and lonely sitting in that kennel.  I adopted the most awesome mature black and white male cat from the pound, back when I was in college.  He crawled right into my lap when I opened his bottom kennel.  He gave me no choice but to take him home.  One of the best cats ever.  My husband is a family doc and he has older or ill patients that talk the same way.  They always do better, and are happier, when they bring home a friend.  You can call me an enabler, but it's really a win-win sort of thing.  

Edited by little cow

With limited funds, I hesitate to do that. What happens when it needs a vet? I only just manage to keep myself these days. And have you SEEN the "adoption" fees these days?

Aw man...I tried.  Although some waive adoption fees during Christmas.  Vet is tough.  We have a low cost clinic run by our county that is excellent.  Not everyone is so lucky.  You could ask at the pound.  I am sorry for your situation.  

We have 2 horses that we board about an hour from home.  We ride on Saturday and Sunday, usually for 1-2 hours, so our horses lead a good life, they are turned out with the herd the rest of the week and brought in and fed every night. We plan to retire and relocate to a less expensive area in about 3 years and will have the horses at home then.  My guy will be 20 this year, and my husband's horse is just 7, so we will probably have a max of 3 horses when mine gets past his riding days and we get another one to ride.