Sign in to follow this  
nick

“Hidden Figures”

Movie about what was  behind the scenes before John Glenn’s (RIP ☹️) first orbit in space.  Three black women mathematicians.  He said he wouldn’t launch if they didn’t confirm the numbers.  

IBM delivered computers the size of a football field but couldn’t set them up.  True story

Anybody seen it?  

From the book's author.......

For better or for worse, there is history, there is the book and then there's the movie. Timelines had to be conflated and [there were] composite characters, and for most people [who have seen the movie] have already taken that as the literal fact. ... You might get the indication in the movie that these were the only people doing those jobs, when in reality we know they worked in teams, and those teams had other teams. There were sections, branches, divisions, and they all went up to a director. There were so many people required to make this happen. ... It would be great for people to understand that there were so many more people. Even though Katherine Johnson, in this role, was a hero, there were so many others that were required to do other kinds of tests and checks to make [Glenn's] mission come to fruition. But I understand you can't make a movie with 300 characters. It is simply not possible

I think the book was good enough for me.

I think john glenn depending on the women is  good enough for me.   he knew what their credentials were, there education and there capabalities.  that's why he said he wouldn't go up unless SHE checked the calculations. 

I enjoyed the movie, I loved the changing-of-the-times storyline and highlighting of brilliant women who were rarely given the credit they were due.   Many people in our community found it empowering for these ladies to be recognized and saw themselves in the characters portrayed in the film.  Mainly, I loved that parts of it were filmed in the town I live in.  Scenes of the exterior/interior courthouse, exterior/interior library (still the courthouse), the square outside the courthouse and downtown store-front buildings seen through the windows of the bus after the library scene, outside local business Mike Cash Office Products where pedestrians were staring in the glass front windows at television screens playing the news drama and Fairplay and Sandy Creek Roads for the rural driving and gathering scenes.  The rest of the film was filmed in various locations around Altanta.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/culture-design/tv-movies/hidden-figure-location-guide

I think Apollo 13 did something similar.  It's just Hollywood.  It's nice if they told a good story, though.  

For every astronaut that went into space, there were thousands of people that worked 24 hours a day for years to send them there. 

It always annoys me a bit when the movies take "poetic license" with a writer's work, as if they know better what the writer REALLY meant to say. A lot of really good storytelling has been ruined that way. People tend to remember the movie, and forget the actual facts that were in the written word, as in this case.

I never watch a movie after a good book. The movie usually has butchered the book. I like to visualize the story based on the book.

Many times the author collaborates with the script writers for the film.  They know the book has to be pared down and/or story lines changed to fit in the amount of time for a film.  Sometimes it even improves the book's original story by having those changes.  The following are 4 films I felt were *massive* improvements over the books.
Circle of Friends
The Horse Whisperer
Divergent: Allegiant
Nerve

Then, there are movies that cut out so much from the books that they feel like a different story altogether.  For example:

-Lord of the Rings

-The Hobbit

-Narnia

In this modern, highly secular, age, even attempting to make a movies out of books written in such a way that they reflect that author's faith, was a mistake.  Tolkien wrote about his faith.  The parallels with the Bible are profound and intentional.  He was so much more intense than his contemporary and friend, C.S. Lewis with Lewis' Narnia series.  Both authors wrote about their respective faiths (Catholic and Anglican).  Tolkien explores the deepest mysteries through his stories, while Lewis romps through Narnia teaching children about God in creative and beautiful way.  

The movies did everything they could to cut out anything religious from the movies.  Then, they exaggerated the evil witch in Prince Caspian and made her a typical Hollywood version of the occult.  We skipped that scene entirely because it's so stupid and pointless to the story.  Pretty computer animated talking animals are just not good enough when they butcher the story.  And LOTR?  They changed so much that it was hard to see the point they were trying to make.  Pretty backgrounds were just not enough.  

Our son has worn out the Narnia and The Hobbit books once already.  We read Lord of the RIngs together.  He isn't old enough for the movies anyway.  He hates it when they are different from the books, so I'm not sure he will like them.  His favorite scenes are with the ents.  Not much left of them in the movies.  

Edited by little cow

Game of Thrones. I read all of what was written long before it hit TV, Thought it was a great story. Borrowed first season on DVD from a friend to watch. Got about halfway through and returned it in disgust. From what I keep hearing, it ddn't get any better. Seems they left out or changed big parts of the story in favor of adding more sex and sensationalism.

I was pleased with how they did Lord of Rings.  There was so much in the book that they followed the story rather well in film.  

Horse Whisperer was like a different story.  Read the book after the film & wash shocked at the difference.

Iron Will the true story he lost the race.  It was filmed that way & test watchers boo'd it so bad it was refilmed with him winning.

Loved the Chronicles of Narnia.  What a fantastic story.  However found it hard to follow the movie.