Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Best movies for kids?

Parents are bombarded with garbage movies or movies targeting kids that are rated PG-13.  As far as Disney goes, well, it seems like every one of them has an agenda or some political message.  In addition, as a teacher, I'd like to throttle every last CGI person that works for Disney.  Kids have short attention spans, yes, but there is no need to make movies faster paced and MORE obnoxious.  The movies that the big guys make now are so fast, they will make you dizzy.  I could only stand Big Hero 6 once.  Video game speed is too fast.  Slow these dang kids down instead of hyping them up even more!

Oh, and all the PG-13 movies that the 5 year olds are watching is NOT making my job easier.  Look at the ratings, people.  Your little tyke doesn't need to see the intense new Star Wars movies or all the superhero movies.  They aren't for little kids.  Our son is 9.  He hasn't seen them.  The original Star Wars movies are enough for now.  

What does our son like?  He likes lots of classic movies.  Some are even (gasp) black and white.  He can watch anything PG or G.  Some he hates more than we do (anything 'girly').  That's fine by me.  I get twitchy with too much pink or princesses.   I hated that stuff as a girl!

So who is the best movie maker for kids movies?  Not Disney anymore.  They own everything now, but you can go back to the movies they didn't make and enjoy them.  Just out of spite, we watch the old ones on DVD to make sure the Disney monster doesn't benefit, lol!

I think that Jim Henson was the last guy that made decent kids movies that were creative enough for adults to tolerate.  Well, for awhile anyway.  We watch the Muppet's Christmas Carol every year.  You know that goofy kid's movie is actually the closest to Dicken's book?  Jim Henson always worked hard at his movies.  Not all were good, but, as a parent, most were at least tolerable.  Such a shame he died fairly young.   Now, Disney owns The Muppets.  Definite change in tone since then.  

I used to think George Lucas was a good movie maker, but the more I look at the movies he made, the more I think the original Star Wars movies were a fluke.  I grew up near his whole empire in Northern California and some friends of my dad worked for him, so we were kind of raised to be loyal to the hometown movie maker.  But, the Star Wars movies were good because he had a lot of very creative people helping him make them (ILM was full of them, until they branched out).  Then, you look at what else he did and, well, yuck.  Howard the Duck.  Willow.  the newer Star Wars movies, the Ewok movies (I really wish I hadn't seen those)...need I go on?  The only decent non-Star Wars he ever made was American Graffiti (he got help from Coppola) and Labyrinth (Jim Henson helped with that one).  

Spielberg has some decent movies, but you have to be careful.  His movies get too emotional or too scary and mean spirited sometimes.  Not good for younger kids.  Our son will love Goonies....when he's old enough.   

Oh, I forgot to mention, Lucas, Spielberg and Henson were not mentioned in any of the sexual harassment scandals.  I hope that continues to be true.  That would be nice.   Rob Reiner is apparently a child rapist.  Dang it!  I like Princess Bride.  

The only way to get better quality entertainment for children, is to demand that these companies make a better product. The only way that will happen is the public has to quit buying their current product. When they are hit where it hurts, they will listen to the consumer.  PD

There are lots of pedophlies in Hollywood.  Rob Reiner is one name floating around as is Jon Grissom.  I think Corey Feldman named Grissom.   Charlie Sheen has also been mentioned.  It's a dark, dark, world out there in LA.

After seeing how many Disney kids have self-destructed, I don't think they are being treated well.  Hopefully, not being abused, but certainly used up like a commodity.  

Yes, there are very good reasons to be careful.  It's akin to avoiding buying clothes made in sweatshops.  

Edited by little cow

The only reports about Rob Reiner that I could find came from radical and  conspiracy sites. He's pretty outspoken politically, so a big target. I'd have to see proof about him. When false accusations start to proliferate, it will call into question legitimate cases. That's pretty much what happened to the feminism movement in the 60-70's.

And appears to be happening again,,,,,,. With all the accusations with no proof floating around, you have to KNOW some aren't true, especially with money involved.

Wait a minute.  Rob Reiner was who people THOUGHT would be named.  Jon Grissom  and Charlie Sheen were the ones named.... Sorry for the confusion.  Pretty nasty details on various sets.  One young actor later killed himself.  

Yea!  Going to not feel funny watching Princess Bride.  :)

Edited by little cow