LJwiz

How tall is too tall for a 14hh horse?

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of purchasing my first horse. I have grown up riding and have ridden horses of all shapes and sizes. I have been on horses that were way to small for me and ones that were too big for me. Currently I am looking at a sorrel mare that measures just under 14hh. I am 27 years old, 5ft 3in and weight 120lbs. What are your thoughts on what would be considered too tall (rider wise) for a 14hh horse? The mare I am looking at is 12 years old. Since this will be my first time owning I am wanting an older horse. I am also wanting a horse that is smaller due to some of my physical limitations that make mounting a bit difficult. She is suitable for an advanced rider which is something I like about her. I have been working with green horses for a few years now. This horse currently has more than 6 months of training under her and is making good progress. I want a horse that will still give me work to do as well. I have attached a video of her. Let me know what you guys think. I am going out to meet her for the first time on the 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp3J5pVOjI

You aren't too tall for her. You should consider her disposition and her gaits. She looks like she may have a bumpy trot and canter from the video on the barrels. But she looks like she's going sound and is willing.

Those videos are a few months old so I’m looking forward to see how that has improved. 

I would go by feel.  All horses have a way of moving that depends on their strength and build.  Some horses are solid and some just naturally more unsteady with high weight (tall person).  If she can walk, trot, canter and gallop with you and feels solid under you, then she's fine.  Ride her over uneven terrain and see how she feels.  Take into consideration her current state of fitness, too.  She may be a horse that does better with frequent riding.  Lots of horses are like that.  How she feels under you will tell you what you need to know.  As far as appearance, that doesn't mean a dang thing.  If she carries you well, that will be obvious to anyone with a brain.   

Edited by little cow