Sign in to follow this  
RailroadWoman

Promise of Heatwave

OK the weather man is really sticking hi neck out.  We are to have a high of 30 on Sun then 34 Mon.

He better be right.  Otherwise an organized mob might go after him.

^^^Same forecast we have. I don't know if I can take another two days, though. I keep fantasizing about that boarding stable. And my horse has cold induced laminitis. The colder it gets, the lamer he gets. I have to keep padded boots on him which get damp inside so I have to change the pads and dry out the boots, sometimes twice a day.

27 degrees this morning in the Sunshine State.  Broke ice on all the troughs at both farms.  Don't come down here for relief, lol!    

23 minutes ago, jubal said:

^^^Same forecast we have. I don't know if I can take another two days, though. I keep fantasizing about that boarding stable. And my horse has cold induced laminitis. The colder it gets, the lamer he gets. I have to keep padded boots on him which get damp inside so I have to change the pads and dry out the boots, sometimes twice a day.

Poor horse!  If he's cute, send him down here as a snow bird.  But not this week!

If you're the person with the morgan mare, he looks like her. I think he's plenty cute, but a lot of trouble.

Today we have a high of 4 above, but next week Tuesday through Thursday the high is suppose to be in the 30s. 

jubal, Hope your gelding improves soon,  the change in weather can create a variety of problems for our critters.   But my critters get me off my butt, & out of the house, as they eat in the AM before I do. So they are my therapy. PD

PD, my father taught us the "animals eat first" rule, and enforced it. I'd feel guilty if I had breakfast before the animals.  I try to tell myself the barn chores are good for me, but I don't know if that's true in this cold weather.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Get fleece wraps for his legs to help keep the blood going to his feet a bit warmer.

32 minutes ago, noponies said:

Get fleece wraps for his legs to help keep the blood going to his feet a bit warmer.

Thanks, NP. I have old fashioned standing wraps with quilted padding and bandage rolls. I'll try those.

jubal,  Hope the leg wraps work well, I can understand about getting out in the cold isn't as much fun, when you get older.  We may move slower, but we do keep moving. PD

2 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

Today we have a high of 4 above, but next week Tuesday through Thursday the high is suppose to be in the 30s. 

jubal, Hope your gelding improves soon,  the change in weather can create a variety of problems for our critters.   But my critters get me off my butt, & out of the house, as they eat in the AM before I do. So they are my therapy. PD

PD and Jubal, we follow that rule, too.  An old cowboy taught me that when I was a teen.  He had a great story to go with it.

Your critters and your small children should always come first, since they can't do it without you.

Cold here too with 14 inches of snow yesterday!  Stay warm when you can and let's hope the weatherperson is right about the warmer temps!

Believe it or not we could use some colder weather. It has been unusually warm and dry around here. We did get some good rain the last couple days and they say next week it is supposed to cool down. For now it is mostly sunny and 46 outside this morning. I’m headed out to grab a critter and ride! Happy Saturday everybody!! 

41 already this morning. Predicted rain later today.

The dogs are getting a bath today and a good grooming.

np,   I prefer the temps of the mid-west better than those of the desert.  But I was in Sidney Australia 50 years ago, on R&R from Vietnam, it was a very scenic area. The people I met there were very nice, & the temp wasn't as hot then.  Uncle Sam provided me the opportunity to see much more the world, than I ever expected.  PD

On 1/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, little cow said:

PD and Jubal, we follow that rule, too.  An old cowboy taught me that when I was a teen.  He had a great story to go with it.

I'd love to hear the story!

In other news, last week we had temps in the high teens for overnight and low 30s for day.  Both of my Rockies have started SHEDDING.  0.o

Heidi, ours shed their guard hairs this time of year.  They keep their thicker, shorter hair, but we get a mini shed out in January every year.