Sign in to follow this  
TigerLilly

Buying a horse trailer

I am looking into buying a horse trailer. Nothing fancy, just safe. I'm just looking for some advice on how I should go about it. Should I go through a dealer? Should I avoid getting my loan through the dealer? Is it cheaper to buy from a private seller?

Edited by TigerLilly

TL,  You ask a loaded question, my advice would be go to a dealer,  & look at what he has on display, you might get ideas anout what you would prefer in a trailer,  generally cheaper to buy privately, but if you buy used,  you need to make sure floor is good, along with wiring for lights, & brakes & tires are in good shape,  have to make sure your tow vehicle is big enough to pull it safely  & that it has brake control in stalled in it.  I have a 16 foot stock trailer, & pull it with a half ton truck, had the center gate taken out, & a slant wall in stalled & works well for my 2 geldings, I store my tack behind the slant wall. A bit cramped, but works for my use.   Happy Hunting.   PD

Thanks PD, I do not care for shopping lol. Just about every trailer I have called on was sold already but....They just happened to have one very similar for a higher price lol. I want the lightest and most inexpensive and safest trailer I can find. My truck is good up to 9600 lbs but I do not ever see me hauling that much. 

Edited by TigerLilly

Biggest decision is if you want steel or aluminum.  Big difference in price.  I have never been able to afford anything but steel, lol!  I am repainting my fifteen year old trailer now to get a few more years out of it before an upgrade.  

Edited by little cow

PD covered all the bases for what to check. Used trailers are going cheap here. Look on Craigslist and dealers that have used ones. They're like cars, in that they depreciate fast. If you can get one that is steel with an outer aluminum shell, they last longer and no painting.

TL,   It is true that trailers do depreciate fast, but if you'll find that aluminum trailers hold their value much longer, & if you are thinking just of buying a 2 horse trailer, just want to say a longer trailer is much easier to back up than a short trailer.  Steel trailers do get surface rust easily.  I bought my trailer new in 2001, I've painted my trailer several times to keep the surface rust off it. Just use a brush & a roller,  some might think it looks tacky, but there is no rust showing on it after 17  years. PD 

3 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

TL,   It is true that trailers do depreciate fast, but if you'll find that aluminum trailers hold their value much longer, & if you are thinking just of buying a 2 horse trailer, just want to say a longer trailer is much easier to back up than a short trailer.  Steel trailers do get surface rust easily.  I bought my trailer new in 2001, I've painted my trailer several times to keep the surface rust off it. Just use a brush & a roller,  some might think it looks tacky, but there is no rust showing on it after 17  years. PD 

I do it the same way.  Bondo is also necessary for mine.  Florida is rough on trailers!

I'm definitely going to have to get a steel trailer. I just cannot justify $10,000 on a trailer that I will only use during the summer. 

http://www.drtrailer.net/2018-cm-2-horse-slant-load-trailer-8WCb|Ek.html

The Calico can be ordered in a two horse slant for  $100 less than the CM trailer. The CM is 14 feet long. 

http://www.drtrailer.net/2017-calico-trailers-3-horse-slant-load-horse-trailer-FXMf|Ek.html

Edited by TigerLilly

TL,   Steel trailers can hold up well, they do require more care, I live on a dirt road, & rock chips  can be a problem,  also I've had trouble with paint peeling on the roof, plus even had to calk the seams on the roof of trailer so it doesn't leak.  I make oa point to never leave any manure in mine for extended periods, as that can be very corrosive.   Again Happy Hunting.  PD

We have a lot of horse/tack for sale groups in our area on Facebook - fellow horsemen post trailers for sale there once in a while for a good price and you usually get the story of the ownership.  If you are on Facebook, see if there are any groups in your area.  We got a 2001 Cotner Squire 2 horse trailer (aluminum) that was owned by one owner and very well cared for - we paid $3,000 and it is in excellent shape.  And that's in Connecticut, where things are usually more expensive.  Good luck on your search!