Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Most Annoying Accents?

I think it's called vocal fry.  That annoying speech pattern many young women are doing now.  It sounds like they are still asleep or hungover.  Then, add the constant question marks or "uptalks" in the middle of sentences and a butt ton of "so" and I'm ready to immigrate.  To anywhere. 

I remember the Valley Girl talk of the 80s (I was never a practitioner, other than too many "likes" in a sentence) and even that wasn't this annoying.  These are not the mark of someone that has something decisive or important to say.  In fact, at every uptalk in a sentence, it's as if you have to give them an obligatory "uh-huh".  I can't listen to it. 

I don't watch reality tv.  In fact, we don't watch regular tv or cable at all.  I'm not going to blame anyone, but that is the reputed origin of this nonsense.  Please make it stop.

I can't think of any other accents, except one version of the Southern accent (not in my region) which just sounds like someone is too lazy to speak.  It's the long, drawn out, breathy, talk.  Yuck. 

Edited by little cow

I find most accents interesting. The vocal fry, in my books, is not an accent. To me it is an annoying way for them to speak. It may be for attention, who knows. 

I have no idea what "vocal fry" is. However, KY is slow to get most trends. The one that annoys me most is what I call echo talk, adding a syllable to words. "No" becomes "noah, "wow" becomes "wowah."   It makes my teeth hurt. Beginning every sentence with "so" is also annoying. But I hear TV commentators do that constantly.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

I have no idea what "vocal fry" is. However, KY is slow to get most trends. The one that annoys me most is what I call echo talk, adding a syllable to words. "No" becomes "noah, "wow" becomes "wowah."   It makes my teeth hurt. Beginning every sentence with "so" is also annoying. But I hear TV commentators do that constantly.

Jubal, just listen to Kim Kardashian. She has a bad case of vocal fry!!!

33 minutes ago, jubal said:

I hate to ask--where can I hear Kim Kardashian? 

YouTube, Jubal! Just Google vocal fry! ,(If you can stand it!)

Edited by Danyel

Jubal, I’m sure your voice would not be annoying in person.  Hoarse is fine, it’s the drawn out exaggeration coupled with the uptalks that drive me nuts.  

Yeah, I don't get why every phrase in every sentence sounds like a question. I don't know if I'm expected to nod as verification that I'm listening or understanding or what...

On 1/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, jubal said:

Yeah, I don't get why every phrase in every sentence sounds like a question. I don't know if I'm expected to nod as verification that I'm listening or understanding or what...

Exactly.  Perhaps we should just interrupt with "Is that a real question?" every time the uptalk happens, lol!

Jersey. I hate to say it but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's not fair, I know. But I worked in customer service for a long time and it seemed like any with a Jersey accent was also a massive jerk so that doesn't help their case.