Sign in to follow this  
Proud Dad

I Came & Found Nobody Home

Good morning, PD! 

Not a lot going on here. Everyone must be busy finishing up their work week. I don't have a schedule to follow anymore so my work gets done at a relaxed pace!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Danyel,   Thanks for stopping in, I know many are busy, & that is a good thing,  I don't have to rush any more either, but sometimes I get a bit lazy, & let things pile up, then at last minute I get busy. I dust moped the floor & spot cleaned the kitchen floor last night before going to bed.  PD

I'm reading here daily, just don't post much any more.

Edited by noponies

Yesterday evening I rolled a huge round bale into the horse feeder and netted it by myself.  I felt so accomplished!  This morning the farrier came to trim the horses.  He told me he cut his client list by 1/3rd.  I'm glad I and my horses made the cut.  Thought about riding today but I need to do some shopping and wash the truck.  Tomorrow the husband and I are supposed to go to the movies to see 12 Strong.

What are  you reading, NP?  I've been reading a lot too and staying in, trying to avoid the flu. The other day, I had a dentist appointment. I called to confirm the time and asked if they had avoided the flu. They had two people out with it that day. I cancelled the appointment.

PD sounds like you are handling the house work. Imagine you will enjoy Spring and the activities that will occupy your time then.

I straighten up and make coffee at night so I have peace and tranquility in the morning. I cherish early rising and my morning quiet time. Paul sleeps later and brings some what chaotic energy with him. lol if I don't set the tone for my day before he gets up, I'm out of sorts.

NP I've been reading a lot lately too. I get positively worthless and stay up far too late when I find one I can't put down.

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

Yesterday evening I rolled a huge round bale into the horse feeder and netted it by myself.  I felt so accomplished!  This morning the farrier came to trim the horses.  He told me he cut his client list by 1/3rd.  I'm glad I and my horses made the cut.  Thought about riding today but I need to do some shopping and wash the truck.  Tomorrow the husband and I are supposed to go to the movies to see 12 Strong.

Heidi, does the hay net work, is it worth the money? Last year we had our grandson and his friend make us a hay ring in welding class. Ohmygawd the witches threw hay every where and pooped on it, bet they wasted 35%. Started forking it to them but my hay allergies go nuts the rest of the day. Wouldn't mind investing the money if it works.

We have been trying to stay away from the flu too. Paul still goes to the gym only because they have strict rules on wiping the equipment down after use. Next Tuesday is his transplant 3rd anniversary checkup, he will be in two different hospitals/waiting rooms, I am requesting he wear a mask.

Am I terrible that I don't go, instead I use it as a personal day to pamper myself? I cannot make myself go back there, it was that traumatic.

QH,  Sometimes a person has to make time for themselves,  I'm sure you have accompanied Paul on many DR & hospital visits when he needed your help, ask yourself does he now?  Then make your decision to go or not. Only you know the answer to that question.  In reality I do miss  Mozelle,  but I also enjoy my freedom to call my own shots. When Mozelle here, she encouraged me to take time for myself if she didn't need me.    Best Wishes.    PD

I read a lot also. Last week I read The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. They have been out for years but I just found them. I really enjoyed both.

Enjoying the sprung like weather today.  Windows are open.

Heidi I've told my farrier that he can never retire.  I'd cry!

Grimmie Ice done the same with morning.  Boy it sure sets the tone for the day.

^^^I read Half Broke Horses but I don't remember if I read the other one or not. I read something with glass in the title.

Never mind, I went upstairs to check. It  was Sweeping Up Glass by Carolyn Wall. I'll have to look for the one you read.

QH, you spent plenty of time in that hospital when it counted. I'm sure your husband would let you know if he needed you there.

PD, once you get used to your independence, alone time is a must. I kinda look forward to the months when my sisters go south and I have fewer social obligations. By the time I get tired of it, the grass is growing and I don't have much time to be lazy.

Half Broke Horses was very interesting.  I did feel kind of bad for her kids though.  It seemed like she was interested in her adventures (which were a lot of fun to read about) but not really interested in hanging out with her kids much.  

PD, we were driving home from a quick conference, so I missed your post.

The conference was in Clearwater Beach.  The town next to it, Clearwater, is very strange.  I always have a good time finding out about the places we visit. 

The Scientology headquarters is in Clearwater.  They are pretty lousy neighbors, apparently.  They tried to buy up an acre and a half next to Clearwater Marine Aquarium (where Winter the dolphin with the prosthetic tail lives).  When they were turned them down in favor of selling to the city, the Scientologists attacked the aquarium with their lawyers and tried to intimidate them with false complaints.  They do this sort of thing every time they don't get their way. 

This is where the big gurus of the cult work.  They dress very distinctively, ride around in private buses, and pretend that they cannot see anyone they pass in the street.  The locals said they walk around like zombies or robots.  That has scared off the tourists.  Their main building is the site of human rights violations (they imprison their own members sometimes) and three unsolved deaths.  They are not well liked here and their numbers are decreasing quite a bit.  

We avoided Clearwater and stayed near the beach instead.  The aquarium was worth a visit.  They have a lot of rescued marine animals there.  In fact, the next day, while we were visiting the beach at a nearby state park, we happened to see them release 29 sea turtles.  It was really cool.  

Edited by little cow

LC, she wasn't interested in her children and The Glass Castle was about her daughter and she was a worthless mother.

LC,  The aquarium sounds like a neat place to visit,   especially with all the rescued sea critters there, & what they go through to help them get back close to normal.  

2 hours ago, jubal said:

PD, once you get used to your independence, alone time is a must. I kinda look forward to the months when my sisters go south and I have fewer social obligations. By the time I get tired of it, the grass is growing and I don't have much time to be lazy.

jubal,  I do like my freedom, but I do know I don't want to spend the rest of my years completely  alone, I want to find someone else to enjoy life with again.  It is to soon at this point, but down the road I want another woman in my life, that I can enjoy things with.  This man is not meant to be totally alone.  PD

1 hour ago, Danyel said:

LC, she wasn't interested in her children and The Glass Castle was about her daughter and she was a worthless mother.

Oh dear.  I guess I picked up on that.  I was trying to be polite, but while reading, I exclaimed out loud a few times regarding her children.  

10 minutes ago, Proud Dad said:

This man is not meant to be totally alone.  PD

I don't think any man is, really.  Do you attend church?  Are there any particular lady friends in your life that are checking on you regularly?  There might be something there someday.  I'm sure your wife worried about you being alone.  

1 minute ago, little cow said:

I don't think any man is, really.  Do you attend church?  Are there any particular lady friends in your life that are checking on you regularly?  There might be something there someday.  I'm sure your wife worried about you being alone.  

I do attend a small Church, don't have any ladies checking on me regularly yet!!    Hope to go to my grandaughter's basket ball conference tomorrow, that way I see my daughter & couple other grandkids. Right now I just want to take my time, I've rushed into things in the past, & have regretted it. Like to think I've learned something in my old age.   PD

Best wishes and prayers for you, PD.  I hope your animals give you the companionship you need while you are adjusting.  The unconditional love of a pet can be great comfort.  

PD look into a ridding club or start a small one.  Gets everyone out on the trails & socializing.  It will take time but you'll figure out what it is you'd like to do.

5 hours ago, grimmie said:

Heidi, does the hay net work, is it worth the money? Last year we had our grandson and his friend make us a hay ring in welding class. Ohmygawd the witches threw hay every where and pooped on it, bet they wasted 35%. Started forking it to them but my hay allergies go nuts the rest of the day. Wouldn't mind investing the money if it works.

ZOMG, yes, the haychix net is *totally* worth it!  
It prevents my horses from pulling huge mouthfuls, dropping great chunks of hay to the floor where it gets mashed underfoot and mixed with poo, thereby becoming inedible.  I cannot say enough good things about the hay net for saving/preserving feed with very little waste.

Check this out! 
Both bales were put out on the same day:
image.jpeg.dff43e721e31b77e09b7e9a00f9c0587.jpeg

This is my manger and HayChix net.  With a third horse now, my BIL cut down the gate to the same height as the sides so all three horses have equal access to the bale without having to stand beside each other.

aab.jpg

That's an interesting design, Heidi.  How big are those holes in the wire?  Could they get a hoof in there?  Or a shoe hung up?  My knuckleheads paw, so I wouldn't be able to use something like that with them.  Actually, the donkey is the one who paws the most.  She makes "donkey mines" in her paddock.  Perhaps she's a donkey archeologist.  She will do it the pasture, too, so it has nothing to do with confinement.  All donkeys seem to paw, but I'm not sure why.   Donkeys also pee on the hay that drops from their feeder (all three of the donkeys we've had do this).  Our donkey lives with her goat BFF.  Goats pee on their hay as well, so those two will have an outside hay feeder in the new barn, where they can pee and paw to their heart's content, lol!

Edited by little cow

There are a lot of neat designs out there.  It looks like Heidi's is inside so the hay doesn't 'melt' away in the rain.  Amazing how that happens.  

Little cow, funny you mentioning Scientology, I just watched the video of Tom Cruise breaking his ankle in a stunt. Those people have taken things way beyond intimidating!

PD, life is meant to be shared with someone you care about. Paul's father had a steady GF after his mom died. Never married but they vacationed and socialized together until his death. I don't think his mother would have dated, she was a homebody. I feel having her kept him alive a lot longer.

Heidi, that's a neat set up. I will be purchasing one before our next bale. The hay we buy is too expensive to act as litter. 

Grim, I sent HayChix an email.  When I bought mine, it arrived with an offer of a discount if you get a friend to purchase one.  I'm hoping they'll still honor that offer so I can let you use it.  I should know by Monday or so.

LC, the wire is a cattle panel from Tractor Supply.  I think if a hoof got in there, they could get it out pretty easily.  No shoes, everyone's barefoot.  Because the net is, well, a net, they will have to remain barefoot.  When they eat it down to nubbins they sometimes pull the net over the sides of the manger so I don't want shoes tangled in it.

Thank you so much Heidi!

Looking at the photo of the net, getting hay through It should keep Moon occupied for long periods. Now when her hay is gone she stands outside the stalls and eats the back of a wooden bench I have out there, out of boredom I’m sure. She will NOT go out in bad weather, during the hurricane, she chewed the cedar trim around the feed room door! Before that, she never touched it. :bang_head:

Who wants to see a sleeping baby? 

DC31FACF-D58A-49ED-A623-97ADA6ABEB10.thumb.jpeg.3fe35c5fb3d83ea562474d783fbf527c.jpeg