Sign in to follow this  
TigerLilly

My horse got hurt:(

Things have been crazy. After all the work I did out at my father's I ended up having to move off the property in such short notice that I only had one availble option which was to put my horse at a friend's house until I could fine something more permanent. Lost $1600 in fence and equipment. My horse ended up getting hurt and nobody told me for a week:(

I got him moved today to a barn that had an opening and he seemed pretty darn relieved. He is just too timid to be put out with multiple horses. For whatever reason he is the heard punching bag. He is not limping, just sore to the touch. None of the lacerations are deep and no tendon or ligament involvement. It's just ugly:(

The people that were responsible for him at the time knew that I was tied up this week because I just opened my Daycare on Monday so they did not figure I would notice I guess. This is by far the worst injury of any horse I have owned. I feel like I let the poor guy down. 

received_1600752079990538.jpeg

Edited by TigerLilly

Oh wow.  Poor guy!  Nothing you could have done.  Bandaging might have helped, depending on many factors, but since you didn't know, that wasn't anything you did wrong. 

That is an odd place for an injury.  Could he have gotten stuck on something, or kicked while he was mounting a mare?   Does he fuss over mares in heat?

14 minutes ago, little cow said:

Oh wow.  Poor guy!  Nothing you could have done.  Bandaging might have helped, depending on many factors, but since you didn't know, that wasn't anything you did wrong. 

That is an odd place for an injury.  Could he have gotten stuck on something, or kicked while he was mounting a mare?   Does he fuss over mares in heat?

He was forced over a barbed wire fence by an aggressive horse. Crazy, 58 acres to run away on and he went over the fence. He got tangled up but they said he did not struggle, the injury was just from going over the fence and catching the top strand. 

Edited by TigerLilly

Get some bacon grease and rub on the skinned part, but not in the open sore. The hair will grow back really fast--old-time farmers' remedy.

Oh yeah, barbed wire makes perfect sense.  I'm sorry you had to find a spot in a hurry.  He's a good boy for not acting like an idiot and panicking when he got hung up.  

Does bacon grease work because of the pork fat?  Or is because friendly dogs come to lick it off the horse's legs?  :crazy:

Edited by little cow

^^^Because it's greasy and I think the salt in it has something to do with it. I don't think dog lick would help!

Pure vitamin E oil works even better and is much less likely to attract the 'lickers". About $8 an ounce, but that ounce goes a looong way. Makes a great chapstick too.

I'd do a comparison but $8 an ounce?! I'll stick to the bacon grease. My sister saves it for me and it's free.

He hates the antiseptic spray. Kicks when when I have to put it on him. On know he is not meaning to kick me but still dangerous all the same. Vet told me to inject with antibiotics and he would be there on Saturday to do the real deep cleaning an inspection. Wish these vets weren't so darn busy. 

Edited by TigerLilly

So spray a chunk of gauze and just slap it on an hold it a bit. Most horses don't like spray because it has some alcohol and burns. This way, you let the alcohol dissipate.

Edited by noponies

Vet said he is fine today. No damage done and he can actually go back to work. Nothing crazy just light riding unless I notice any changes.