Sign in to follow this  

A bit warmer than average here.  It's getting up to the 80s.  Horse and pony are shedding like crazy, but, that has nothing to do with the temperatures.  Hours of daylight make horses shed, of course.  Nevertheless, they are happy to lose it during this weather.  The rye grass grew well these past few months.  We had enough rain to sustain it.  If this heat continues, though, it will fade away. 

For those of you that are jealous, I should mention that the bugs are back.  See?  There is always a trade off.  We had no-see-ums from heck about a week ago.  You have to watch your a** when the bugs are out.  No, really, watch your donkey.  The bugs are horrible on the lower legs of donkeys down here.  I slather the SWAT until they die down again.  When the bugs start up, they head straight for your a**.  

We usually order fly parasites, bu, since we are in between farms, I delayed.  I think I will order and have it sent to the new farm.  Then, I can always fetch it out of the mailbox and spread it between the two until we move.  

I ordered some thing for the new barn.  Just halter holders and latches for now.  I have to move some mats today.  They are in the flatbed trailer, ready to go. I hate moving mats.  We're only taking the sheep barn mats.  The horse stall mats are cut to fit so they stay.  Does anyone have any favorite hay feeders in their stalls?  The horse and pony don't get bored because they will have paddocks, so we can use regular feeder vice the really expensive slow feeder thingies.  I was looking at the plain ones with a bowl underneath the rack.  

Little cow, didn't know you were moving! That's exciting! You buy more land?

Speaking of feeders. When we ordered our barn two years ago, we discussed putting grain/hay feeder doors in at $150 each. I remember nixing them, for one, they are to high for safe feeding. I guess hubby went ahead and ok'd them because they were delivered and installed. $300 would have gone a long way toward stall mats! :duh:

Grimmie - in the snowy field pic it was about 8 inches deep. The power lines are up high, not close. It looks like it from the angle of the pic. I was standing near the bottom of a steep hill. 

Been a busy weekend getting stuff done around here. I was checking over my fence line and found that the newish neighbors decided they didn't want their barbed wire fence any longer. Instead of removing it properly, they took it partway down and tossed it over my fence into my pasture. It was tangled in my fence and laying along the fence line where my horse walks. There were hoof prints right next to It! I was so pissed! The sections that were still up were wired to posts. I had to use bolt cutters to remove it. I pulled it all down and got rid of it. So over these rotten neighbors. Anyone want craptastic neighbors?? 

Grimmie, it's slightly less land than we have now, but better quality soil (beach type sand to clay/sand mix).  We are at the height of stress because our old place is for sale (while we live here as if in a hotel to keep it clean) and the new one is being finished.  We are praying this one will sell so we have only one mortgage in a few months.  

PW, that is awful!  Are they just clueless or nasty?

7 hours ago, PaintedWishes said:

Grimmie - in the snowy field pic it was about 8 inches deep. The power lines are up high, not close. It looks like it from the angle of the pic. I was standing near the bottom of a steep hill. 

Been a busy weekend getting stuff done around here. I was checking over my fence line and found that the newish neighbors decided they didn't want their barbed wire fence any longer. Instead of removing it properly, they took it partway down and tossed it over my fence into my pasture. It was tangled in my fence and laying along the fence line where my horse walks. There were hoof prints right next to It! I was so pissed! The sections that were still up were wired to posts. I had to use bolt cutters to remove it. I pulled it all down and got rid of it. So over these rotten neighbors. Anyone want craptastic neighbors?? 

Now send them a bill for the clean-up.

PW, can you arrange for your hot wire to contact their barbed wire? At least they would get a little payback the next time they pull that maneuver.

Heidi - I have thought of lots of things I wanted to do to them when i found that mess. I was so pissed. Makes me sick to think of what could of happened has I not found the wire. 

Little Cow - I think a combo of both. They thought it was funny and thought their dog was "playing" with the neighbors across the roads calves. When confronted they think its funny and shrug it off. These people are clueless self centered citiots. They think since they moved to the country they can do what ever they want when they want.

Noponies - I wish i could send them the bill for clean up. They just don't care.  If my horse would of been hurt they would of gotten the vet bill. 

Jubal - I took all of the barbed wire down. They don't need it and I don't want to chance them pulling a stupid stunt like that again. I cant even turn on that side of the fence cause the crappy job they did on field fencing is so loose it flops over onto my fence. They have been told they need to fix it and they don't care. 

It makes me sick to think of what could of happened if he tangled in that wire. This is not the first issue with these awful neighbors either.

Painted, I'd be livid too! Once I came home to a city crew in our back pasture digging up a leaky main sewer line. They had taken down our fence in two places. The horses had access to that pasture and could have walked off property at both points. I called the city for not giving me a heads up and then walked out there and chewed a lot of butt. 

Little cow, we've sold 2 homes so yes, it's very stressful to live at the ready for a showing call 24/7.

Painted, guess that was the camera angle making the wires look low.

I am enjoying this lovely weather but waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak in the way of a sleet or ice storm. Winter's last hoorah in March.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:38 PM, PaintedWishes said:

Heidi - I have thought of lots of things I wanted to do to them when i found that mess. I was so pissed. Makes me sick to think of what could of happened has I not found the wire. 

Little Cow - I think a combo of both. They thought it was funny and thought their dog was "playing" with the neighbors across the roads calves. When confronted they think its funny and shrug it off. These people are clueless self centered citiots. They think since they moved to the country they can do what ever they want when they want.

Noponies - I wish i could send them the bill for clean up. They just don't care.  If my horse would of been hurt they would of gotten the vet bill. 

Jubal - I took all of the barbed wire down. They don't need it and I don't want to chance them pulling a stupid stunt like that again. I cant even turn on that side of the fence cause the crappy job they did on field fencing is so loose it flops over onto my fence. They have been told they need to fix it and they don't care. 

It makes me sick to think of what could of happened if he tangled in that wire. This is not the first issue with these awful neighbors either.

Their dog is going to end up dead, if caught ' playing' with the neighbors calves again, I have the feeling... think they would think THAT was funny?... I have absolutely no use for idiots like that.

Hot wire along the top of your fence and manure pile nearby are both some ideas.  Although, they will know the manure pile was on purpose.  

That dog would already be dead, if it were my calves.  If their dog roams towards your pasture, you can use pepper spray, if you don't want to kill him.  

I would also watch for things to report, such as illegal burn piles (too close to the road or any structures, not attended, etc..  Illegal fireworks...  Come down hard.  These people are bad news.