Sign in to follow this  
nick

iceland proposes legislation outlawing male circumcision

we had this topic in 2012 when lawmakers in the European community proposed a change in the laws based on the argument that it violated the rights and the body of an essentially helpless human being.  ironically, muslims and jews protested loudly and aggressively, shoulder on shoulder that this was "non-negotiable" as a pillarstone of their religions.    the laws consequently only changed to the extent that only doctors and trained professionals can perform the procedure and not religious officials.

same argument is back now in Iceland.   some members here had some pretty strong and very emotional opinions back then on this subject.  I personally view it as mutilation and physical assault on a child who is incapable of consenting or dissenting.   the arguments that it promotes male health and hygiene are weak at best.  what say you?

Edited by nick
spelling

I think the government is overstepping on this issue.  A law making it a proper medical procedure would be appropriate, but, other than that, it looks like an attack on Judaism (and perhaps others?).  

Iceland is a weird place, so this doesn't surprise me.  Isn't that where they are forcing women to abort Downs Syndrome babies?  Said they want to eliminate it entirely.  Creepy stuff.  

@jubal, why do you think they breed the foals, lambs, calves, piglets, chicklets anywhere in the world?  

Answer:  commerce.  Mommy gets pregnant, mommy produces milk AND baby, both of which are today’s seasonal products.  It’s NOT just Iceland.  Go visit your local abattoir. 

11 hours ago, little cow said:

Iceland is a weird place, so this doesn't surprise me.  Isn't that where they are forcing women to abort Downs Syndrome babies?  Said they want to eliminate it entirely.  Creepy stuff.  

It’s a wierd place?  Iceland pulled itself with no help out of bankruptcy in 2005 and is an example of equal gender and LGBT rights. Have you ever been there??

Our local abattoir (sorry Nick, I know what that means) doesn't slaughter horses. And the Icelandic owners I know, don't eat their mares' foals. If you just want to argue with and demean somebody, why don't you go pick on your husband? Or is he on to your bad habits?

Edited by jubal

Your local abattoir isn’t in Iceland now is it?  There was a member here (from Iceland, living IN ICELAND), whose husband worked in a culling facility.  IN ICELAND.   

Demean someone?  What meat eater doesn’t know what an abattoir is please?

Back to topic, I just think removing a part of a defenseless human being’s body mutilation and indefensible.  The origins date back thousands of years and are completely irrelevant to modern hygiene.  

1 hour ago, nick said:

27 minutes ago, nick said:

Your local abattoir isn’t in Iceland now is it?  There was a member here (from Iceland, living IN ICELAND), whose husband worked in a culling facility.  IN ICELAND.   

Demean someone?  What meat eater doesn’t know what an abattoir is please?

I thought you said I should visit my local abattoir...Oh, you did say that. Did you think I was in Iceland? Maybe people in France should know what an abattoir is. Did you think I was in France?  Do you know where you are?  Is it happy hour where you are?

44 minutes ago, nick said:

Back to topic, I just think removing a part of a defenseless human being’s body mutilation and indefensible.  The origins date back thousands of years and are completely irrelevant to modern hygiene.  

49 minutes ago, jubal said:

I thought you said I should visit my local abattoir...Oh, you did say that. Did you think I was in Iceland? Maybe people in France should know what an abattoir is. Did you think I was in France?  Do you know where you are?  Is it happy hour where you are?

You want to discuss “where food comes from” ( not plastic wrapped and tidy) go for it.  For everybody who eats animal protein it’s an education.  

But please start a different thread.  Thank you!

Edited by nick
Spelling

Okay, what do I think about Iceland proposing to outlaw circumcision? I think it's a thinly veiled poke in the eye of Jews. What about mothers who have babies ears pierced? Have they outlawed that too? But since I'm female and have no children and don't actually live in Iceland, it's not really on my indignation radar. And considering some of the laws that have been proposed in the US in the last year, it seems quite tame.

Iceland appears to have a history of anti-semitism.  Several Israeli news articles suggest Jews boycott Iceland for various reasons, including a very pro-Palestinian stance.  This has nothing to do with a concern over babies.  

Edited by little cow

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, little cow said:

whIceland appears to have a history of anti-semitism.  Several Israeli news articles suggest Jews boycott Iceland for various reasons, including a very pro-Palestinian stance.  This has nothing to do with a concern over babies.  

what?? source please .  of course this  about assault on babies.  the legislatioin requires that before this procedure is done they are of age to agree.  at two days old they are not right?  at 16 sure. 

think about it,  many countries still allow the circumsicion of little girls.  Iceland made it illegal.  they also recently made inequity in pay and fairness for the LGBT and women and and even white men ( haha)  against the   the law, 

little cow, inform yourself,  what Israel is doing ín Palestein is nothing short of criminal, 

Nick, I don't always agree with how Israel handles things, but they are upset with Iceland.  

Circumcision is typically done using pain control.  Requiring the use of pain control is enough. A quick Google search will bring up Israel's objections to Iceland.  Outlawing circumcision, especially when they already have a feud with Israel, appears to be a personal attack against Jews.  

49 minutes ago, little cow said:

Nick, I don't always agree with how Israel handles things, but they are upset with Iceland.  

Circumcision is typically done using pain control.  Requiring the use of pain control is enough. A quick Google search will bring up Israel's objections to Iceland.  Outlawing circumcision, especially when they already have a feud with Israel, appears to be a personal attack against Jews.  

Hmm...you seem pretty well informed here....

Well, hubby is a family doc, so he is familiar.  Docs use lidocaine to numb.  We chose not to circumcise for our boy, but it isn't a religious requirement for us. 

Edited by little cow

14 minutes ago, little cow said:

Well, hubby is a family doc, so he is familiar.  Docs use lidocaine to numb.  We chose not to circumcise for our boy, but it isn't a religious requirement for us. 

Kind of amazing that nick thinks you need to be better informed, isn't it, considering.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:55 PM, little cow said:

This is just not true. Women are allowed to terminate a pregnancy if the fetus has trisomy 21 or any other condition that can significantly impact a person's quality of life. They are never forced. The rate of voluntary termination is almost 100%.  There are a few people in Iceland that did not terminate. I personally don't not see the negative in wanting to eliminate these types of conditions as long as it is on a voluntary basis.