Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Hello - and a question

Hello, haven't been around in quite awhile. I browse every now and again, but yanno. Horses and all the other animals are doing well - they're hating the snow and cold we've been having. So much that I can't get them to exit the barn. Will be having some ducklings in the next month or so and the goats at my Grama's started having babies!

29060414_10155381789461547_5956756495814

I started doing some side creations, too. In a couple weeks I have my first portrait session. I've turned down so many in the past because I have never photographed people - I much prefer landscape and animals. But, finally figured why not. It's just my cousin and her family. So if I screw them up - not a huge disappointment. She approached me and was shocked when I said I never done them before. I've been doing some research, hopefully they turn out well. Just waiting on better weather.

Also some crafts on the side. Started making signs - the popular wooden sign trend. So far they've all been gifts...got to figure them out. But, how much would you pay for a homemade wooden sign? I am going to be planing some wood this weekend and applying stain to start working some more. I've seen some go for little to some that (IMO) were outrageous. 

This one is for my brothers log cabin...

28700937_10155384632391547_8615131380619

It's nice to have some me time. This extended winter has made me get some. Hope everyone is well.

Pink,  I like your sign,  I can understand why horses don't want to come outside, the east coast, has been hit with alot of snow this season.  Do hope that changes soon,  it has been nice here, with temps in 30s & working up, to 40, but still freezing at night, but those taping trees to make maple syrup, like thois weather, as the freezing & thawing causes sap to run good.  PD

Having hens, that sign did make me laugh.  ;)  And everyone where I'm at is also sick of winter, we had a tease of 50 degrees the other day, and today it's windy and 37, feels like it's way colder because of it.  >;/  

We did have a 70° day awhle back...and two foot of snow two days later. We're 6" away from having a 200" season. I'm over the snow. Another Noreaster next week. It'll end soon enough.

Can't help you Pink. Maybe look on Pinterest to see what other people charge. Glad you have some "me time."

It's just as true every time I see it.  Earlier ice pellets were getting found from the sky, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny in the upper 40's.  :[

Pink, I can't even remember the last time it was 70 out.  I guess that's better than the year we hit 80 on St.Patrick's day, though.  That screwed up all the fruit trees badly, ruined a lot of harvests.

Pink, crafts are a hard one to price.  It all depends on what you value your time at.  When worked in the floral shop to many moons ago we would take the total cost of supplies then add 10-15% for labor.  Not sure if that helps at all.  Plus it also depends on the quality & by the looks of your fun sign you have the quality.

With taking pics of people give them an activity as a family & do some candid shots.  When we did the wedding train some of the best pictures are the snaps.  Some people pose really well & others get stiff.  If you have someone go stiff think of something for them to do as it will relax them. The more to take of people the better of an eye you will get.

Thanks for the tips, RRW. I just enjoy doing it as it's "me" time. But, if I'm going to do it - I figured I could at least make a little bit of money at it. Figured it could pay my farrier bill. An easy goal to work towards, I thought :) 

Ah sorry about not commenting on pricing the sign, I somehow missed that part.  

Absolute base line, you want to have the raw materials paid for, the wood, paint, **** even the pencil used to sketch it out.  Take into account secondary costs, like electricity for drilling the board, gas to go to the store for those materials, and THEN add in all the time doing each step of the project.  That of course is reduced if you crank out a few at a time (less cleaning brushes/picking up and putting away/waiting for paint to dry) You want to make sure it's worth your time, and don't shortchange the value of your skills.  

My sister makes jewelry and is ALWAYS charging less than she should for her things, I tell her to come up with a price, then either double it and post it for sale.  If someone wants to haggle over the price then she can go a bit lower and still feel good about getting paid for her time and skills, instead of feeling crummy about scraping by and people STILL asking to pay less.

So that was a whole lot of information with no hard numbers.  ;D  Sorry about that, but it really does depend on where you live and what you see going for that kind of thing locally, and then compare materials/skills to those things that are selling to see if you should adjust the price up or down, and have a reason WHY you're pricing it that way.

3 hours ago, PinkTractor said:

Thanks for the tips, RRW. I just enjoy doing it as it's "me" time. But, if I'm going to do it - I figured I could at least make a little bit of money at it. Figured it could pay my farrier bill. An easy goal to work towards, I thought :) 

Well, in that case, divide the farrier bill by the number of items you have to sell. :P

Pink, cool sign.  I am no help on pricing.  I guess add up cost to make it, and add ten percent?  Maybe twenty, if it takes you a lot of time.  Do you use a finish?  How durable?  If you can say it will last outside because of a protective finish, that might help.  

Oh & you have to be a bit bossy to get them to listen as to what you want them to do.  May also find you'll need to hussel them along to keep them on the timeline for the shoot.

If I were at my other computer I'd post some of the pics I have taken & it wasn't with a fancy camera. 

I do great portraits...of my dog :P People can' be too tough, right? Lol. I think it'll help being my cousin, too. They'll be more relaxed and easier to work with.

I have signs for indoor and outdoor. I clear coat the outside ones and nothing on indoor ones. I bought some tumblers to vinyl on next, so excited! Thanks all for pricing tips. I think $10 is a reasonable amount for premade ones...add to price for custom. Sound fair?

Pink, I would definitely price my work higher than 10% over cost. That is not worth your while to do them. I would want at least double what they cost for small ones and probably triple or quadruple on larger ones. That would still be relatively cheap for different items that only cost you 5.00 or less to make.

Cute sign! Are you on Instagram? Signs are huge now and there are so many accounts there that sell all sorts of signs. They definitely charge more if the wood is old and reclaimed. IG is a good place to get pricing ideas.

15 hours ago, PinkTractor said:

I have an IG, I'll go browse there. Never knew people sold on there. Thank ya!

Yeah I didn't realize either until I had been on a while. Most sell them through their Etsy shop which is probably where you should start...Duh brain fart!

I really planned on just doing local things...start small before I plan on going big. I did look at some prices on Etsy when I first was curious, and well, quite frankly I don't feel my work is worth what some of them are charging. Beautiful pieces - but I feel I'd never sell any at their prices.

6 hours ago, wolfhaven said:

Send me a couple free ones for samples and I'll ask around...    :crazy:

Pay to ship and I'll send a free one :P

Funny thing - I stained around some painters tape for the arrow - figured I'd do another one like it for something else...yeah, the arrow looks awful...guess I haven't mastered that yet - lol

This one turned out good - the second one I did...yeah, it'll just be painted solid, lol.

...and thank you!

Thanks! Things started picking up and people are starting to ask for ordering....just what I wanted! Now I need to step up my skills.

I just sold this one,

29351676_10155420874046547_5096138720213