Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

Who else has been seeing signs of spring on the first day of spring?  We were supposed to get more snow this morning but fortunately it went and bothered someone else.  The past week the horses have been shedding, even the ones that are slow to start.  Little bits of greenery are cropping up, the lilac bushes are looking serious about budding out, and my hens are ramping up their laying.  

Still have knee deep snow in my pastures.  No signs of spring yet.  Closest sign is the first ships left the port this morning with a tug in front to break ice.  Apparently the coast guard is concerned their overpriced icebreaker would get stuck and have to be rescued.  Again...

We get spring early down here, but the warm season grasses pout until May, IF they get enough rain.  Otherwise, they pout until June.  

Once it warms up, it stays until October.  It's hard to see the temps rise knowing how many months of heat we have in store.  

Our biggest sign of spring are the snowbirds on I-95 heading from south of us to the north.  

Edited by little cow

Beautiful high of 26?? with no sign of the sun today.  However, still wore my Birkenstocks with no socks & a flannel shirt to pick up 
Shortman from school.  Course was also sporting paint clothing. :questionicon: Hmmmm.....maybe I was a sign of spring today.

I haven't been home for about two weeks, not sure how the ponies or cats are looking.

Sign of spring? Free ice cream cones at Dairy Queen!

It's only in the 30's, not to warm up for at least the next week.

Well, now the weather terrorists are saying 4-6 inches of snow. I guess no grocery shopping tomorrow.

My dogwood tree had a handful of blooms on it today and I noticed the Crepe Myrtle's are budding out.

I saw a blade of green grass the other day, & have seen what looks like a dandelion poking through the ground, in a fairly protected area, but we also have 5-6 inches of snow yet to melt. Today the air was cool in upper 20s, it was in the 40s over last weekend.  PD

Is this a sign of spring? It is in KY. Looks like about 4 inches. I guess this is the day I find out if my paddock boots are really waterproof!

S5001394 last gasp of winter.JPG

Edited by jubal
ETA they are but my socks aren't. The snow was drifted deeper than my boots are tall!

PD when was the last time you cleaned your glasses????  Do believe those spots are making you think you see green grass & weeds.

Hear a robin this morning.  Think the poor bird got confused & looked at the wrong month on the calendar.  He should still be down south. 

There was a dusting of snow on the ground this morning, but the air has that feel like it is THINKING about warming up.  Might have to bail out on work early and try getting a ride in.

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD when was the last time you cleaned your glasses????  Do believe those spots are making you think you see green grass & wee

RRW,  I guess any gren I saw was just a hold over from ST Pats Day, or wishful thinking.

PInk,  I talk to a guy from MA.   most days, & he is almost depressed from the long winter there.

jubal,  With March on it's way out, I got to wonder what April holds for us, sorry about your snow, we've had a good run lately of weather, so it time for our luck to run out. But I do hope any moisture is rain.  PD

8 degrees this morning.  Don't think we'll see much for snow melt today.  Tomorrow the sun is supposed to make an appearance and we may hit 40.  Tried to hike the dog last night but the snow is just too deep yet.  

Nothing green here but the pine trees.  

Snowing here today, but I did notice some small buds on my lilac bushes yesterday and saw a few daffodils budding in Virginia this past weekend!

PD - it is very depressing here in PA, too. There are days that I just want to stay in bed or crawl into bed early. But, soon we will have some warmth and sunshine and most people will feel that weight lifted. 

I don't mind it too much, I am used to it. But, having Raynauds and living in the frozen tundra is not fun. It's been really flaring lately, too, so a few minutes outside and my fingers are froze. I've been warming up with them around a hot cocoa mug. Wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the tingling/stabbing pains.

Pink, do you have hand and toe warmers? They really help if your circulation is compromised.

Pretty trees, Danyel! The one in my photo is an ornamental pear too, and hopefully wasn't frozen too badly to bloom. 

Thanks Jubal and GD. Those are my neighbors trees, Bradford pear. There is a peach orchard up the road from me. All the trees are blooming. I hope it doesn't freeze again.

RRW,  I was walking in my horse pasture today, & I could see green trying to come through where snow melting. 

Jubal, if out for long periods of time - I do use hand warmers...but even if I'm out for five minutes my fingers go on me. It's awful. I really wouldn't mind if they didn't have the pricker feeling in them - then the numbness and tingling when the circulation comes back.

I cleaned dead vines off my Mozelle's one flower bed yesterday, as they were turning green down at the root.  But this flower beds is first one to get the sun, all the rest still have some snow on top. 

jubal, sorry about your cold snap, it is 19 degrees here also, & the sun is out, high for today is 40.   PD