Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

Front yard at work is almost all melted off.  Backyard is a totally different story.

Now if the night temp warm up then things will really melt & fingers crossed frost starts to break.

Was in the 60's yesterday, 70 out now....mixed precip by Thursday. Oh joy.

But, I did get a lot of outdoor things done over the weekend. Just wish weather would make up it's darned mind.

Against my better judgment I bought a pair of white capris.  Wore them tonight only to remind me that white with having black dogs don't mix.  However, do I really care??? Ummm...nope.  Just happy to look fashionable with 68 temps & sunshine.  Heck even broke out my new summer fun shoes.  Most people were still dressed for late fall type temps but dang 68 temps is heaven.  If only it could be 68 with sun everyday.

When I go to heaven fingers crossed everyday will be like today.  Just perfect out.

68 is nice....but only if there is no wind. It sure has been pretty breezy lately.

I have a pair of white capris and pants...I think I only ever wore each once. I cannot keep clean. Old Navy has some nice capris from time to time if you're ever near one. They're not denim - but not a see-through material, either. I like them. They sit at a height I'm not blinding anyone but also not suffocating.

I go with the Japanese on white being the color of death and avoid it at all costs.  Partly because I wreck clothes and white will only show every encounter I've had that day.  

Did some poking around my yard and found out that the surprise lilies are coming up as well as various other types of lilies, and the trees are all getting some serious buds.  Then I was crushed when Facebook did one of those "three years ago you posted this picture!" and it showed the tree and mock orange bush in full blazing bloom with the lilacs showing purple because they were so close to opening.  >:[  Ah well, forecast is saying it's supposed to be at least 60 if not 70 during the day this week, maybe everything will catch up.  

We could really use some rain.  There have already been grass fires & our DNR dept in the area haven't been responding so the area fire dept. have been on call to assist neighboring counties.  Then top it off the DNR yesterday kinda started posting the fire danger level.

Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean the danger is low.

The rain is needed to help break the frost.  However, with the frost still deep any moisture will just run off.  Shortman took a pic of geese swimming in a big old puddle in the field across from the depot. 

I had five packets of wild flower seed that were sent through the mail as a promotion over the years. I decided yesterday was the day to plant them. I don't hold out much hope.

Jubal, sometime those are the best to plant.  I did a broadcast wild seed one year & they came back for sometime.  Then they got some kind of blight that killed them off.  About two years after that started finding the flowers again in random spots.  Just an FYI don't pull weeds from the bed you put them in.  I made that mistake & ended up pulling the seedlings.

^^^Haha! Most wildflowers are weeds. I've avoided them because some are poisonous to horses, but Jubal is pretty good about avoiding the bad stuff.

Guess What?!! Tomorrow is opening night practice for dirt track...meaning summer is soon to start because racing is starting!

White pants, shorts, etc..?  Y'all are brave.  My clothes go from the "nice" section to the "farm" section fast enough as it is.  The white clothes only stays for a very brief visit before the brown, green and ??? stains banish them forever.

Our spring is in full swing, but summer looms like a hot, heavy, sponge ready to drop on top of us.  We still have low humidity now.  Fall and Spring are our best seasons, in my opinion.  

Trying to pick a name for our new farm.  It has maples, oaks, it's in a little valley and we have a tiny creek running along the back border. When we bought the land a year and a half ago, we noticed that the creek was destroyed in one spot because of idiots in 4 wheelers running through it until it stopped flowing.  We put up a perimeter fence to stop that nonsense and repaired the creek borders with shovels.  We decided to leave that wild and fenced the cows out.  Since then, the creek flows, the wetland grasses have returned, and the wildlife use it for water.  The frogs, newts, and minnows have recovered.  Since the frogs sing a lot back there, we were considering Frog Song Farm.  What do you guys think?

Edited by little cow

LC,  Frog Song Farm  sounds like a good idea to me,  I think it is great that you repaired the creek, & now the wild life has returned,   it is unfortunate when people think it is funny to destroy nature.  Best Wishes & thanks for being kind to Mother Nature.  PD

Thanks RRW - looking like we wont make it. Got the car about finished, but the tranny keeps getting stuck in gears. It was supposed to have been gone through over winter - but I'm guessing they never actually looked at it -insert eye roll-

Peaceful Ribbits comes to mind for me. I love listening to the big bull frogs on our pond on a summer night.

Creek Valley Farm

Wooded Valley Farm

Wood Song Farm

Emerald Valley or Creek Farm (little take on the Irish)

Thats all my brain can process right now.  Will keep mulling over names while working.

We live on a river & have a pond on the property.  So it can get really loud with frogs in the summer.  What is really fun is sitting on the porch watching the dragonflies.  There have been years the sky is thick with them.

5 hours ago, little cow said:

White pants, shorts, etc..?  Y'all are brave.  My clothes go from the "nice" section to the "farm" section fast enough as it is.  The white clothes only stays for a very brief visit before the brown, green and ??? stains banish them forever.

Our spring is in full swing, but summer looms like a hot, heavy, sponge ready to drop on top of us.  We still have low humidity now.  Fall and Spring are our best seasons, in my opinion.  

Trying to pick a name for our new farm.  It has maples, oaks, it's in a little valley and we have a tiny creek running along the back border. When we bought the land a year and a half ago, we noticed that the creek was destroyed in one spot because of idiots in 4 wheelers running through it until it stopped flowing.  We put up a perimeter fence to stop that nonsense and repaired the creek borders with shovels.  We decided to leave that wild and fenced the cows out.  Since then, the creek flows, the wetland grasses have returned, and the wildlife use it for water.  The frogs, newts, and minnows have recovered.  Since the frogs sing a lot back there, we were considering Frog Song Farm.  What do you guys think?

Frog Song Farm, doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Singing Creek Farm..... would be my suggestion.

Races rained out, second week in a row. Going to run an open practice tomorrow. As long as we get our new tires mounted up - we'll head to that. Any seat time is what we need right now.

My husbands best friend passed away a week ago. It has been a rough week. He was only 43 and suffered what they believe was a massive heart attack. He just got a brand new car to race this year. My husband will now be racing that car at his home track on Sunday's. Hoping we can get it in the winners circle.

With that being said - we now have two cars to work on, two cars to pay for, and two completely opposite classes. We will race our car Friday and this other car on Sunday. Hoping for the best. I feel with our friend may bring him some luck this year.

Pink, I am sorry to hear about your good friend passing.  I am praying that your hubby will win the race in his memory.

Pink, Sorry about your husbands friend passing away, but I wish him luck racing his friends car on Sunday.  Best wishes. PD

Those are great suggestions!  Thank you.  We probably won't finalize the name until we are moved in.  

We had noticed that Frog Song Farm doesn't roll off the tongue.  I was trying Acres, etc...but wasn't satisfied.  

Our son had to pick a name for his registered sheep flock.  He picked Happy Sheep Farm, lol!

Thanks for the kind words. I guess things changed again and friends wife just wants the car on the track once and then put away. I'd much rather that. I can understand how hard of a decision it must be for her.

With that being said, we took our car to an open practice on Saturday. It went amazing. I really hope this means good things are in store! Fingers crossed for no rain this weekend.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:19 AM, little cow said:

Those are great suggestions!  Thank you.  We probably won't finalize the name until we are moved in.  

We had noticed that Frog Song Farm doesn't roll off the tongue.  I was trying Acres, etc...but wasn't satisfied.  

Our son had to pick a name for his registered sheep flock.  He picked Happy Sheep Farm, lol!

Froggy Bottom Farm

RRW - we are just starting to dry out. Calling for a complete wash on Thursday - then clear but chilly Friday...really puts the racing up in the air for then. Saturday and Sunday they're calling for chances too. As much as I need water so we don't run dry this year - I really don't want it on weekends. Rain when I'm stuck at work during the week!

Better yet is rain at night.

We had over 80 the last couple days & it is projected to be mid 40's on Friday.  The weather has been absolutely crazy & now with high gas prices tourists are going to be very slow at going anywhere.  Not to mention the cabin owners.

Well, so far no rain - but it's coming. Got really cold here today. Only a high of 50*. Weather pending we will be racing tonight.

I watched a movie on Firestick last night called Ace of Hearts - about the police dog who got accused of mauling someone and had to be put down but escaped the place and saved his family in the end....it was good. I love a good dog movie.

ETA; I was googling the name to make sure I had it right...it's based on a true story. How neat.

Edited by PinkTractor