Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

I went to the grocery and while I was gone, the snow melted off half the pasture! Jubal will get to go out for a short graze. He'll be so happy. He wants to run so badly but his feet still hurt too much. Poor baby.

Things are blooming here, trees, daffodils, etc....but we keep getting snow. It melts away...and then we get more. Just had some a few days ago which has melted, and getting more over the weekend. Waaah, I want warm weather!

Mother Nature is letting us know she is still in control, & will have her way,  in spite of what we want. 

Danyel,  great that you are mowing your yard,  my mower is still in repair shop. Just don't need it yet.  PD

Don't know how you all do winter! It is definitely not for me. Dogwood, Red bud and flowering crabapple trees are in full bloom here.

Spring is here in Texas. Paisley still groggy after her nap. Yes that is a mud clump in her mane. The mud is finally dried up so I won't be wasting my time when I tackle that mess.

44F141F9-736D-45EC-B5B4-3ABDF6680896.thumb.jpeg.6ab670ceb079860227da6bcd508c9371.jpeg

Worked outside until I pooped out. Still have a lot more to do. Sure enjoyed the sun. It supposed to rain for the next week. We need the rain. The panhandle of Oklahoma hasn't had rain for 5 months. I live in NE OK and get more moisture.

Danyel, get it done while its still dry.

Ive been working on taking down wallpaper today.  Almost done with the second room & have three more to go.  One of my staffers is back for a week from college.  So I am having him dismantle everything so I can just work on wall paper.  Fingers crossed that by mid next week we will have 6 rooms repainted.

Just came back in and fixing a quick dinner.

RRW, I don't like painting. Hope it goes fast for you.

My back is not used to yard work! Ugh!!!!

We've had four people look at our farm so far.  The last brought an appraiser and drilled me with questions, (which was kind of annoying because all of the answers were in the detailed description).  The borrowed ram picked this time to break out of his enclosure and run around the backyard defiantly.  Of course, the high winds loosened a metal panel on the hay barn, so it was flapping in the breeze.

Well, that went well.. :crazy:

We did not have mutton for dinner.  Rambo went home two days later.  He's been here for two months, which was plenty of time with the ewes.  Hoping for lambs in July.  

Edited by little cow

It is 22 degrees here this AM,  but no moisture, & sun is out, so should be a nice day.

LC,  Hope your farm can sell without much problem,  at least Rambo isn't there now to entertain any longer. 

GD,  Sorry for your snow & ice, no doubt the ice being the biggest problem. Stay safe.  PD

Sun is out here today too, reflecting off the snow for maximum blinding.  The wet heavy snow was actually kinda good, in that it helped soften the ice underneath and made it easier to shovel up.  Very glad I got new boots though, because even with new tread I could feel how slippery things were before salting.  Guaranteed I would have gone *** over teakettle in my old boots.  

Proof that spring is at least close enough to fool my chickens, eight eggs out of nine hens!  Not too shabby!

IMG_20180321_195756.jpg

GreyDrakkon those eggs are so pretty!

Well low and behold we didnt get any snow here last night, not even a flake! A friend a couple hours from me got 15 inches last I checked. Its bright and sunny and chilly, but no snow. Getting some laundry done while I wait for the temp to warm up some more, and then headed to the farm.

Yep, that's the nice thing about Easter Egger hens, every day is an egg hunt with pretty eggs.  :) (Well, except winter when they take time off)

We just got some hens. Eight of them. Guess I'll be selling extra eggs to coworkers, we cannot eat that many. Yeaterday, the first day here - we had six eggs!

I saw a red fox across the road this morning, a big one! It was pouncing on something in the grass. I love foxes and I was happy to see they are still around here. They take care of a lot of rodents.

Congratulations on your hens, Pink!  If you have any questions about tending them, let me know!  I've had mine a few years now, got some as pullets and some as chicks.  What breed did you get?  I sell the eggs I don't eat as well.  You can also freeze eggs after cracking them open, but their consistency changes so they're really only good for baking after that (maybe scrambled as well).  I save all my shells, crumble them up and toss them back to the hens for extra calcium.  You might know this already, but the whole "vegetarian chicken" thing is a myth, they'll eat just about anything and everything that isn't nailed down (and they'll peck at that).  Don't feed them avocados or chocolate (although WHY anyone would, I dunno) but everything else is pretty much fair game. 

Oh they eat everything including themselves.  Want to make a free range chicken dreamer change their mind about free range.  Tell them what they will eat.

Had someone once tell me to only feed your chicken fresh vegetable.  I laughed in their face as they are garbage disposals.

Grey, when I had the old hens they pecked the paint off the building they were penned next to.  However, found they didn't care for popcorn for some reason.  Frogs were a favorite if one happend to find itself trapped.   No matter what they ate the eggs were really good.

I did hear about the cracked egg shells are good for them. Right now I have them on a mix of scratch and cracked corn (my ducks eat it too). They're in the pen right now with two ducks. Wasn't the plan - but the two ducks had nests I wasn't aware of in there. Luckily everything is going well.

I believe they're Rhode Island Reds...but I could be wrong. A friend picked them up at the auction for $6 a piece. Saturday we had six eggs. Sunday two....and only one so far today. I'm sure they're still getting used to the new move. They'll be caged in. I have ducks that free roam and they give enough headaches for everyone. I used to have a horse terrified of chickens...hoping mine now aren't...could be interesting.