Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

3 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Have fun with your chickens.  I sure do miss having mine but we are so dang busy.  

We are too, but I think they'll be fine.

I have eight ducks - three sitting on nests with 11+ eggs, now eight hens, a rabbit, two horses and two dogs...plus a goat if I ever make room at home for it. Always a fun time.

If I ever get property I really want to get a goose, their eggs are the BEST for omelettes.  They're the perfect size per person, and they are lighter and fluffier than chicken egg omelettes. 

The last hen I had started crowing and acting aggressive like a rooster!! She was alone for a couple years. I think she had a gender identity crisis:crazy:

We travel frequently enough that it is already a headache with few critters we currently have.  Keep telling myself after Odie & George it is going to be a one dog house.  Love having the two but one is easier to take everywhere.  The future dog will be used to going to the kennel & someplace on the farm will be fence because of day trips.

Advantage of having your own layers is you get dang good at cooking eggs.  Best fried eggs are those done in the electric fry pan.  Big yolks & fluffy yummy whites.  Oh & the deviled eggs you can make with them.  Ok got to stop talking eggs as I am now getting hungry.

I can't eat eggs without getting sick...I can bake with them and eat them as an ingredient just not straight. My husband eats them like crazy. I make him eggs for breakfast, pickled eggs, egg salad, boiled eggs...on and on. 

I tried turkey eggs when we had turkey and they settled a little better. I heard they were really good for baking.

I haven't had turkey eggs yet, but I'd love to try them.  

Spring has decided to retreat back into winter, it's cold and windy here and just generally unpleasant.  Tomorrow is supposed to go back to spring, then by Sunday winter and snow will be back again.  >;P  

Third day of pouring rain. The creeks are all flooding. We needed the rain but this is extreme!! At least our pond is full and it's not cold.

Our start of warmer weather, pulled up stakes & left again,  I guess I can say what we have now is seasonable weather, but 50 & sunshine would be better.  Had some light rain last night,  now it is just cool.  PD

We had another hit of yuck snow.  Everyone here is complaining of being so tired.  Came to the conclusion is it the longer days & then no sunshine to go with it.

Maybe fingers cross Mother Nature will give us 60+ degrees & sunshine on Easter.  Oh then again it will be a teaser because it is also April Fools Day.

Hello all! We went from almost 70 and sunny on Thursday to chilly and rainy on Friday with a thunderstorm warning. Woke up Saturday morning to snow. It snowed on and off all morning and had melted off by evening. Been just plain rain the last couple days with some sun breaks. Everything is starting to bloom and leaf out around here. Most of the bulbs I planted in the fall are coming up. Looks so pretty! See below for pic from Saturday morning. 

20180324_074739.jpg

20180324_071803.jpg

20180324_074917.jpg

54 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

We had another hit of yuck snow.  Everyone here is complaining of being so tired.  Came to the conclusion is it the longer days & then no sunshine to go with it.

Maybe fingers cross Mother Nature will give us 60+ degrees & sunshine on Easter.  Oh then again it will be a teaser because it is also April Fools Day.

These cloudy days really mess with Vitamin D levels.

PW, we had that same snow over the weekend. Huge flakes and mixed with rain and sleet. But it went away fast. If this is the result of global warming, I'm against it!

Hey Chicken Friends - is it normal for my hens to stop laying after they were moved? I got six eggs the first day, two the second, one the third - now none...

Goodness RRW that's a huge project you're doing! Wish you all the best. 

Pink, I'm not sure, I've never moved them, always raised them from chicks. But I'd think any transition will disrupt them. Make them happy they'll lay again.

All this talk about chickens makes me miss mine! Spring of 2015, when hubby was in ICU and rehab 7 Mo. I was commuting to the medical center to stay with him. Some scumbag dumped two stray dogs on our place and they wiped out all mine and my neighbors hens until a his son managed to shoot them. Sad ending for them, they were just trying to survive. 

:bang_head::surrender::mecry:I want more so bad but I cannot protect them from predators right now and I cannot go through that loss again. 

Edited by grimmie

It appears they're getting along fine with the two hen ducks. The hens are laying 24/7 pretty much on their nests - so they really don't bother much. They have indoor/outdoor pens, too....so I really don't know!

I plan on giving them some different treats, hoping it'll make them happy and laying again.

As for chicks, went to TSC last night...they have them all reduced to $1 - sooooo tempting!

Thought Id go out and check my duck nest. This is what I found. I have 3 Muscovy hens, they nest in a wooded box next to my front door. For the first time, all three are laying. It's rare I find the box empty but it's raining and they're all on the pond. Look at these nuts earlier this week! Not sure who laid those two ginormous eggs, both were double yolks.

ABDB94B6-885F-492D-ADE9-2FD072F69E7A.thumb.jpeg.d1373d84e566eb19559401017ceaaba5.jpegEAF86FAC-FC0B-4445-98AA-1503D293C965.thumb.jpeg.597f58acf9db49485beeeb911972cb52.jpeg305ABD89-A713-4DCD-81F5-EEE7DECFD9A9.thumb.jpeg.9683db572f5fbb5a78ca14f7cb403467.jpeg66EC58A4-7A44-449C-8F5C-5C850F9CF3F2.thumb.jpeg.52d343f73caae807f161e29455de5390.jpeg

Pink, yes it's absolutely normal for any kind of stress to throw chickens off their laying.  It takes 23 hours* for an egg to form, so those eggs on the first and second day were already in the chute, so to speak.  So it could either be the stress of moving that's delaying the eggs, or just natural timing that they're all taking the day off.  

*23 hours minimum, in reality most hens take a fair bit longer between each yolk being released.  Some will lay a few days in a row and take a day off, some every other day.  

WOAH I feel bad for that hen, Grimmie!  

Grimmie, those are crazy eggs.  Then again the ducks are nut for nesting in what looks like a deep flower box.

Yes, it is a big project.  Once these seven rooms are completed 10 of 20 rooms will be repainted. Fingers crossed next week we will have them done.  Yesterday I was priming a room but have to finish one wall.  Then I can move onto the next.  Can't wait to get them finished.

What makes these project hard to get done it I have to balance the duties.  Today I won't pick up a brush because I have finish other tasks that have been sitting.  Then I have to figure what would be the best time to spend a day or two at my office in the depot.  The paper is stacking up there.  It is never ending.

Grimmie - I have muscovies, too! Though mine are all sitting on nests and should be hatching out in another week or two.

This is my Momma that's roosted in the barn.

29541119_10155408921076547_7018615020075

An old picture, but some of my flock;

22853032_10155049647631547_1451357436482

Edited by PinkTractor

Oh my gosh Pink I love your flock! Mine sit, but unfortunately the eggs aren't fertilized. We lost the Drake to a coyote several years ago. I'm sure that's why they chose to lay on the porch, they feel safe.

That breed of duck has so much personality. Mine knock on my door when they want me to come out and talk to them. 

RRW, lol that was a wooden planter. One year I dumped pecans from our trees in it and they started laying in it. I've tried putting hay in it to make it more nest-like but they throw it out along with the pecans. They prefer just their down.

Grimmie, like this?

22885746_10155042917971547_7388234975736

We gave my uncle four of these ones to have on his pond. He said they were "too messy" so I took them back. I sent this picture to him and he had about a stroke...couldn't believe I allowed it. We have sadly lost our fair share to wildlife - but hoping I can get the flock to grow with the new babies we should have. I have six hens and two drakes at the moment.

Dont be jealous yall but...it's sunny and 80 degrees here today with a nice breeze! Im soaking it up and then going to ride in a bit. Again, dont be jealous, its not staying long.

QB is gonna get sunn burn badly.  Want some butter to go with that lobster??:crazy:

When we first moved to the farm our neighbors had tame ducks & kept them down at the river.  It was so fun to see them swimming & they also brought in other water foul.  The ducks slowly got eliminated by critters.

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

QB is gonna get sunn burn badly.  Want some butter to go with that lobster??:crazy:

When we first moved to the farm our neighbors had tame ducks & kept them down at the river.  It was so fun to see them swimming & they also brought in other water foul.  The ducks slowly got eliminated by critters.

LOL how did you know I burn so easily?!  I do! Like a lobster! I dont tan at all. In fact that was my first thought as I headed to the farm. Ive spent so much time wishing for warm sunshine and forgot how easily I burn. I didnt burn yesterday though, so hold off on that butter ;-)