Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

Well, it looks like I may have fibbed a little yesterday. The weather report looks goooood for days! 

Yesterday was a good day at the farm and the kid behaved and was good. We couldnt ride around the pond because of the geese. Well we could, but the issue is that Bennie puppy would follow us and see the nesting goose on the bank and then well...we'd have quite a show. I told the landlord that I didn't want Bennie harassing them and we'd just ride somewhere else til theyre hatched. We couldnt ride over to the cows either though because my landlord has been having problems lately with something stealing calves...so hes set game traps out over there. Again Bennie and Faith would follow us and I'd rather not take the chance of them getting in one of those traps. Personally I hate those traps with a passion, but its not my land and not my livestock. Anyway we were a little limited on where we could ride yesterday but we did have another field that we rode in. Mr. Butters was feeling good yesterday and cantered the kid. She did well yesterday.  My Bennie puppy had a great time. I wish I could share video of her playing in the pond. She was all tuckered out by 9pm. Headed to the farm in a bit. Gotta deworm everyone today and get some riding in in this beautiful weather!

Screenshot_2018-03-30-09-24-07.png

QB sorry my glasses are dirty so I can't read the temp you posted.

Can send you the cold & snow we are projected to have.  We are to have a beautiful high of 28 tomorrow with a nigh low of 5.  Yup its spring.

RRW,  Doesn't seem quite fair that some parts of the country are actually having spring weather, & we are still struggling to have a heat wave.  Oh well it will get here before it turns back to fall like temps.  PD

It's not even going to break 50 today, but since it's not raining I'm going to try getting a ride in anyways!  Starting to get desperate here, and of course the weekend's forecast is cruddy cold and rain.  >;/  

However, I have seen some green poking up from the ground from eager tulips, and a friend had her one crocus bloom.

22 hours ago, PinkTractor said:

Grimmie, like this?

22885746_10155042917971547_7388234975736

We gave my uncle four of these ones to have on his pond. He said they were "too messy" so I took them back. I sent this picture to him and he had about a stroke...couldn't believe I allowed it. We have sadly lost our fair share to wildlife - but hoping I can get the flock to grow with the new babies we should have. I have six hens and two drakes at the moment.

Yes, just like that! When they aren't all piled in the box, the others stand or lay around the porch but they are kind enough not to poop. I'm seriously considering getting them a man but I'm afraid they'll stop coming to the house. :mecry:

Yes RRW, I would worry about them if they stayed down by the ponds, especially with them sitting on nests, we have a bad coyote by the ponds.

Weather is gorgeous today but a tad too cool for me to work on the garden besides I have to cut out and sew our new grand daughter an Easter bonnet.

I looked at the projected temp & not till the end of April are we supposed to see 60.  Otherwise it is projected mid 50's or lower.

Oh & its snowing now.  

Grimmie we have a nesting pair of eagles across the river.  Not to mention the dang raccoons, martins & weasels.  Tame ducks would love our farm as it is on the river & has a small pond.  However, they would be an easy breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Hope everyone has a good Easter weekend!  Looking pretty good here for the weekend, but we have a bad case of scratches to work on - clipping, cleaning. treating - this weekend - wish us luck!

Magic, hope your pony behaves for you during treatment.  Seem like they do fine the first two days then after that they make the job that much harder.

Well the grass is once again covered where things melted off.  Now we have fog/misty crud.  Anybody like some NW Wis spring weather??? More than happy to share:D

If our spring is true to form, we will be teased with this glimpse of spring and get a fierce cold snap when we least expect it.

Here is a Camellia in the side yard that I call "the park" where all the tall pine trees live.
Image may contain: flower, plant, grass, outdoor and nature

Dogwood is blooming.  This one gets morning sun, the others are shaded by the tall pines and bloom behind this one.
Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoor

The azaleas in the park are a riot of blooms right now.
Image may contain: flower, plant, outdoor and nature

Heidi, those are pic's of flowering bushes you took while on vaca in Japan.  Right??????

If you don't answer this question correct there just may be a slight riot on your hands.......:ph34r:

Yes, I was in Japan.  I was there to photograph the Cherry Blossoms but I missed them and could only get pics of Azaleas, Camellias and Dogwoods.

Heidi,  Nice pictures, don't know my flowers that well but I do enjoy seeing pictures of them, as the colors are very striking..

RRW,  While it may not seem like spring in Wisconsin yet, especially with snow in the forecast, but it will get here, when Mother Nature, tells Old Man Winter to get lost!!  Do hope that is soon.  PD

Nice pictures, Heidi!  Our azaleas finished up their blooms two weeks ago and our jasmine is just starting up.  I caught a whiff the other day.  The dogwood trees live in shade and have been shy this year. 

At the new farm, I plan to have four trees in a cluster to provide shade when they grow:  a magnolia, a dogwood, a redbud and a tea tree.  We have the tea tree in a pot.  We'll buy a big Southern Magnolia to provide a little relief from the sun for the dogwood and redbud.  That's the plan anyway.  We are doing landscaping ourselves.  We can be cheaper and plant useful things, like herbs, along the front walkway.  I started some rosemary seedlings and lavender inside.  The lavender is not coming up.  Lavender does terrible here so I am looking at a heat tolerant hybrid plant to order for the front walk.  I love the smell.  Even if the latest research claims that the extract can cause men to develop breasts!  I told the husband I will plant it and stop using the lavender scented laundry detergent.  He is suspicious of lavender, as all men seem to be anyway.

Edited by little cow

Heidi you just made the world better.  Nice pic by the way.

LC do the magnolia grow fast?  Never heard about lavender & man *****.  Guess that's my learn something new today.

PD I now spring is very long to come this year.  Just my way of having fun.  Short man was excited yesterday when it was snowing.  I told him it was dandruff.

Generally when we have spring weather like this it will be a cool summer.  Told hubby no flower pots this year as it is a waste. They won't grow nice.

Heidi, pretty! My Bradford Pears have buds opening and freezing temps forecast for a few nights. Never fails.

LC, I have Lavender and Santolina planted along my front walk. They're all brown right now, so I don't know if they survived or not. But the fragrance is wonderful for both. Only things actually in full bloom are the jonquils. The crocus bloomed long ago.

Good morning everyone and Happy Easter weekend.

It will be 70 today and 30's tomorrow!! We got 6" of rain this week. Everything is growing and blooming. My azella bush is budding. I was so tempted to buy hanging baskets yesterday but afraid of another freeze 

I decided not to cook for Easter so off to one of my favorite restaurants for lunch.

Heidi, love the flower pictures. Seeing the ducks made me wish I could raise some again. I had chickens, ducks and geese but the coyotes got them. I had 2 coyotes in my back yard one day trying to get into the chicken yard. This was 9 in the morning!! Brazen!!!

Everyone have a great weekend!!

Little Cow, check that detergent again and see if it says "lavender SCENTED".  (you won't see "made with real lavender" anywhere)  I have a friend who works for a major company as a chemist for stuff like that, and she says it's been common knowledge for years now that lavender is an estrogen emulator (which isn't good for women, either.  Too much estrogen can cause all sorts of nasty side effects over time) and since they know that, they haven't been using actual lavender for any of their lavender scented products.  Essential oils on the other hand, don't have that kind of restriction in place and will use actual lavender and will very likely be nailed for it in the near future.

In any case, actually got out for a short ride yesterday!  When the sun came out you could kinda pretend it was spring.  The horses here aren't completely sure about it yet though and are only somewhat shedding.  Best yet though, after my friend and I rode, we went to Tandy Leather Factory, and since we go there all the time we've gotten friendly with one of the employees.  She comes out and asks if either of us are looking for a saddle!  I've been using a crummy one at the barn that's not the best or borrowing a good saddle (or just riding bareback) so when I was told that I could take it to test out the fit on the mare I ride I was pretty chuffed.  

I didn't know that about lavender. I do have a bottle of lavender essential oil. I don't remember why I bought it unless to deter flies.

My hippie green detergent has lavender oil.  

Baking Easter bread for tomorrow.  First time using yeast.  I always cheat and make Irish Soda Bread.  I have to braid this bread.  Kind of exciting.  They have a blessing of the Easter food at our church today, but my bread won't be done in time.  Our Polish priest started this tradition.  Our redneck parish, bless them, showed up with coolers full of beer, lol!  :crazy:  Now, they bring more things like bread and such, but that first year was hilarious.  Our priest took it in stride.  

Edited by little cow

RRW,  How much snow did you get over night?   The EauCaire weatherman said most of the snow would be to the north,  Maybe less than 3 inches,  well I'm 30 miles north east of EauClaire, & I got 6 inches of that stuff. I'm now officially sick of winter. 

Gray,  If you are going to brag about riding, we have to see a picture of your horse, I'm just jealous that you got out to ride.  BestWishes.  PD

PS,  Having my daughter & family down for Easter, better hope no one gets sick from my cooking!!!! Only going to fix some vegetables, as I only have limited talents.  My daughter & sister are bringing the rest.   But want to get some life in this house again, it has been kind of empty since Mozelle passed on.  PD

Edited by Proud Dad

RR Woman, your dogs are adorable (I'm sure you're fully aware of that ;) ) 

PD, I didn't get a chance to take any pics yesterday, but here's Goblin doing her favorite pass time, snoozing.  Her second favorite pass time is being weird, as shown in the second pic of her resting her nose on my foot.IMG_20180311_124428.thumb.jpg.89782ce586ef751a2384c60ab97b250d.jpgIMG_20180311_141113.thumb.jpg.4b4f5820a788c8f3336408b0d9f60bdf.jpg

I actually just lease her, but we get along pretty well.  Funny thing is, I actually hate bald faces, I think it makes them look like cows!  ;D She's a paintaloosa that came about through an accidental breeding when a massive flood came through some years ago and knocked down all the fences when they had an elderly stallion on the property.  

PD, 8-12 inches.  Hubby was at the farm last night & said there was a good 12 inches on the ground.  My parents in the Twin Ports got maybe 3 inches.

Where it has been plowed the pavement is dry.  However, the idiot we hired  to plow once again only made two passes & didn't come back to finish when the guests left.  Oh & didn't plow all the drive.  Had I known he would do the job this shitty would never have hired him.  So badly need our own plow truck.

Grey, she appears to be very round.  Also meaning she has yet to miss a meal, that would be my two.

We are going to have to post new pics of members ponies this summer.  If you don't have one then a pic of another critter.

Gray,  Thanks for the picture, I'm a mare lover, that rides geldings,.  Goblin is a nice looking mare, a god horse comes in all kind of colors, when they are good they become special. Goblin appears to have character, just got to love a horse like that.  I will put a couple pictures that have been posted here many times before.  So everybody else can just yawn< & look past them.

The first is my 21 year old AQHA gelding  Royal,  Both are older pictures, but then I'm old also.  PD

5abfeb08c2f0e_Copyof100_1797.thumb.jpg.5f188a608a886972e07c9a0897594002.jpg

This Duke 14 year old TWH gelding,

100_2050.thumb.JPG.c224f9cb3bcfcb63b8899142eb3ce87f.JPG

3 minutes ago, little cow said:

PD, I hope your home is filled with laughter and love this Easter.

LC,  I'm sure there will be laughter, as my 6 year old grandson loves to play Uno & loves to beat grandpa.  Might do as well against his 23 year old brother. 

UNO can be a very dangerous game.  As a kid I beat my dad all the time with cheating, as you could see the cards reflect in his glasses

PD, if Royal goes missing don't look for him here.