Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

1 hour ago, GreyDrakkon said:

Ya know, I was HORRIFIED by "Hush Puppies" when I came to the midwest.  "So...It's a clam cake, but with no clam?  WHY.  AND DOES IT HAVE PUPPIES IN IT?" 

A good question,  I didn't know what a hush puppy was until I married a girl from the Ozarks, only hush puppies I'd ever heard of was a brand of shoes.   But do know I've grown fond of eating them over the years.  I just googled google said that by hunters & trappers fixed them as corn meal was easy to carry,  & they often shared them with their dogs, & of course dogs were quiet while they were eating, so hush puppies was a natural name.  I'm sure their are many different sources out there that would beg to differ.  But when fixed well they are tasty, & go good with fish.  PD

Mmmmmmmmmmm.  I'm hungry and hush puppies sound good right now. 
Dip 'em in a mix of Sriracha sauce and Ranch dressing ..... Yum!

Edited by Heidi n Q

Signs of spring?  Kittens!

Stopped by the feed store and the kid loading came into the office with a tiny kitten.  There was a feral cat with kittens that moved her litter to the hay trailer that left this morning.  This little guy was found wedged in behind the bales.  He probably fell back there.  No food since at least this morning (longer if he fell last night).  He looked depressed and possibly dehydrated.  Also, a little bit in shock.  The feed store folks hemmed and hawed and tried to hand him off to me.  I took him, looked him over, and passed him to John.  John's face lit up.  "Really?" he asked me.  I told him the little thing needed food and warmth and we'd figure the rest out later.  

He was not moving much earlier, but we got a little KRM in him and he's moving a little more.  Not very coordinated but trying to crawl in a straight line.  No mewing.  Eyes look newly opened and ears are not up, yet.  He is in a crate with a warming pad and towel to snuggle in.  His gums look okay, but we're taking him to a local vet for free deworming and de-fleaing tomorrow (they took pity on us for taking in an orphan).   I think I read up on the basics....4-6 hours for feedings, stimulation (our dog is happy to lick his bottom for us, lol!), and lots of other tips, but I have a few questions from the kittens gurus here (HEIDI!!!!):

-How old do you think he is? 

-When can we introduce a little canned food?  Does it have to be kitten food?  Should we mix it with baby food?  (one website suggested that).  

-Should we bath him, once he starts eating?  

-How soon should he get a litter box?

-What color do you think he will be?  :smile:

John is going to be doing most of the feedings, especially once we get him latching on to the bottle.  The vet office said not to worry about not getting much down because he's still in shock.  We got about a 1/2 an ounce in him so far.  Nipple seems to be flowing well enough; he just wants his mommy instead.  

Okay, first pictures. (there will be more...you guys are going to need to help me with this little one, lol!).  He is resting right now, so I don't want to bother him too much until he's feeling better.  BTW, I''m just going to try adding a link for Imgur.  I still don't know how to post pictures here.

https://imgur.com/a/SSeZc

Edited by little cow

Oh @!*%.  he has a name.  The boy is calling him Jacob.  

The kitten's coloring reminds me of a favorite picture.

Voices tell me things-Evil things!

Edited by little cow

He looks like he'll be a brown/black tabby, possibly with classic (circle on sides) tabby markings.  Does he have white footies?  *swoons*

I'd say around 10dys old.  KMR only, for a few weeks.  When he is about 6wks old you can put KMR in a shallow dish and mush canned cat food with it.  I would not use baby food simply because it is formulated for humans and I feel prefer sticking with cat/kitten foods.  When they start eating from a dish, they will be very messy the first week and slowly get more coordinated.  At about 8wks you can offer a small, round-kibble dry kitten food that will be easy to swallow w/out chewing.

Bathing - as needed once he's been de-flea'd.  Sometimes kitts will crawl through their waste and need to be dip-bathed.  I use a hair dryer to help dry them.  Keep your hand on them, ruffling their fur in the path of the hair dryer so you can tell if it is too hot for the kitten by how hot it is on your hand.

Offer a litterbox as soon as you want.  Typically, about the time you introduce solid foods they are able to eliminate on their own and if the litterbox is there, they will hopefully train themselves and use it.  If you have another cat, put a small pee-clump in there to let the kitten know what it is for.

I bet John is over-the-moon!

Awwww!  I second everything Heidi said.  He might be a bit over 10 days, but not by much.  He looks like he's going to be a little chunker when he grows up!  

I got my surprise kitten last September.  He's **** on wheels.  Hope your little guy winds up being more easily managed than my ginger monster!

John is being such a good kitten owner.  He came in and told me the kitten had 'gnats' crawling all over his belly.  We only saw one flea earlier, but his gums are a little pale, so I was worried about anemia  This time, when I checked the pet medicine shelf, I found one thing of Advantage left and gave a few drops to Jacob.  Die Fleas!  Mwhahahaha!!

Thank you for all the advice!  I really appreciate it.  I might have to start a kitten thread.  Does the Imgur link work okay?  Is that the best way to post pictures?  The thread for pictures appears to be outdated.  

LC, good luck with the new kitten. Years ago I found an abandoned kitten. He didn't have his eyes open. He just thrived and grew into a 17 lb. mess!! He never groomed himself, just left that up to me. I don't know if it was because he didn't have a mother or if that was just him! He lived to be 16 and he was really special.

It was 72 this morning but going to be 25 in the morning. This weather is so messed up!

2 hours ago, little cow said:

Thank you for all the advice!  I really appreciate it.  I might have to start a kitten thread.  Does the Imgur link work okay?  Is that the best way to post pictures?  The thread for pictures appears to be outdated.  

The link works fine. I just click on the "choose files" link in the reply box and then the photo in my computer file.

Well, his night feeding went really well.  He was not getting it when we first tried, but he was also still in shock.  At the 5/6 pm feeding, he made noises at the bottle, but still struggled.  It was coming out but he had trouble latching on.  I had to keep getting it back in his mouth.  I finally put some in a syringe and gave it to him a mouthful at a time until he seemed uninterested.  The 9/10 feeding went very well.  He tried a the bottle a little, got some in the syringe, and then latched on to the bottle twice and filled his tummy.  He also got a washcloth bath and did his business, like a good kitten.  He even played a little when he was full and happy.  I think he's going to be fine.  He feels much better and is much more active.  It was scary how dull and quiet he was when we first got him home.  

My husband brought me an almost dead kitten from his work one afternoon in 1996.  They were moving pipe at the power plant and the kitt fell out of one.  His nose and lips were blue-ish purple and he lay limp.  I rushed him to the vet and they gave him a shot of fluids sub-q.  When the needle went in, he turned his head, bit the heel of my thumb and held on until the shot was over.  He recovered pretty quickly after that.  Marmalade was about the same size as your kitt.

Wow, Heidi.  Poor little Marmalade.  How did he turn out?

John said something only a kid would say yesterday.  My husband and I were talking about how no one else at the feed store would take the kitten.  John piped up with, "Who wouldn't want a FREE kitten?".   :rotf::crazy:

My husband and I had a good laugh.  We both remember thinking the same sort of thing at his age.  John is having a bit of a hard time with the upcoming move.  Perhaps this will be a good distraction.

Edited by little cow

4 hours ago, jubal said:

^^^Yay, it worked! I think the kitten hereafter should be named Freebie!

LOL!  That would be every cat we've ever owned.  They sort of just show up and we end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  John is set on Jacob for the name.  Not sure where he got that from, but it's cute.  Now, we need to confirm it's a 'he'.  We are taking him in this morning for deworming.  He did well on his early morning feeding.  He was a bit more hyper afterward.  After his tummy was full, he rolled onto his back and waved his tiny paws around (with claws that can't retract, yet).  I was touching his little paw pads when he waved them at me, sort of like a tickle game.  He seems to eat, play, and sleep, in that order.  He's all business when he wakes up for feeding.  Just like little humans.  They can be very charming and playful when their tummies are full, lol!

Edited by little cow

LC,  I have 6-8 cats running around my place, only 3 have names, one is a neutered tom, & the other 2 are last years kittens, they are called Bandit & Killroy, the tom cat is pure white & I call him Ivory, as I refused to call him Snow or Whitey,  & they all respond to Lets Eat.  PD

LC love the new addition to your family. Totally get how your boy is struggling with the future move.  Short man & I have been living at the motel now for 8 months.  He has some bad days because we are not home.  I don't want to think about what it would be like if we had to move move away.  

If our boys are alike then they are both 83 yr old farmers.  Lord help us if they were to go for morning coffee & their regular waitress wasn't there.

Today my boy is s eight.  We took him on a overnight stay at a indoor water park.  Do believe he has grown a rat tail.  He's now a water rat.

That's great that the kitten is perking up!  And yeah, having a pet to bond to like that will help him get through changes to his life.  

This morning it's 22 degrees, with a "feels like" of 14.  Getting really tired of bundling up like some sort of Arctic explorer every time I want to step outdoors.  

7 hours ago, little cow said:

John is having a bit of a hard time with the upcoming move.  Perhaps this will be a good distraction.

I bet this little kitt will certainly help John transition, change can be hard to adjust to.

Marmalade grew up fine.  He liked to nap on our necks and especially under my hair at the back of my neck.  He passed away in 2008 so he made it to 12 before he developed a stomach tumor and started going downhill.

Here is a pic of him about 2004 or so.  He *loved* playing with plastic bags - leaping in them and sliding on the floor.

Marm aaa.jpg

1 hour ago, jubal said:

PD, we need pictures of your named freeloading cats!

jubal,  If I knew how to get pictures from my smart phone on the computer I would gladly show some my cats. I just lack the knowledge to do it, & no doubt it is fairly simple, technology faster than I can keep up with it. So if anybody has a simple solution  I would be glad to try it. I'm pleading ignorance.  PD.

PD if you post from your phone you choose attach file.  From there you can pick document from you file.

I don't post pics from the computer anymore.  To much of a pain.

PD, Are your named kitties tame?  

RRW John is like an old man about some things.  He likes things a particular way.  He has also mastered a redneck old man voice that he uses when he jokes around.  He uses words like knothead, dang it, yonder...etc.  He cracks me up.  

Heidi, what a character!  We have a female orange kitty.  In fact our old barn kitty was also a female orange tabby.  What are the odds?  I think only 25% of orange kitties are female.  

Jacob got his dewormer today.  He is closer to three weeks, according to the vet.  He is getting more vocal now.  We heard his purr today.  His crate is like a bassinet.  He's only in there if he's sleeping.  When he's awake, he's on a lap or getting fed.  Can't spoil a baby that little.

Jacob will not be going anywhere but to the new farm.  Have fun with him.

Heidi that a a fun picture.  Love the facial expression. "What??"

4 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

jubal,  If I knew how to get pictures from my smart phone on the computer I would gladly show some my cats. I just lack the knowledge to do it, & no doubt it is fairly simple, technology faster than I can keep up with it. So if anybody has a simple solution  I would be glad to try it. I'm pleading ignorance.  PD.

Sorry, PD, my phone is dumb.

3 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD if you post from your phone you choose attach file.  From there you can pick document from you file.

I don't post pics from the computer anymore.  To much of a pain.

Don't you have to connect the phone to the computer if you are posting to the computer?

I found I can transfer pictures to my computer, but still have works some bugs out of the system,  I like using a desk top computer, just works better for me. Texting on a smart phone can be a pain, & I'm just a bit old fashion.  PD