Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

Went to the horse fair on Saturday, and while it was sunny it was COLD.  The horses were all shedding out like mad though, so hopefully they know what's up.  Rumor has it we'll see 70 degrees on Wednesday, but right now it's been snowing all night.  >;/

Another earthquake woke me this morning! It's getting to be my alarm clock!!

Warming up today, to be in the 60's. I went out and cleaned the inside of my truck. The outside needs a bath but I'll have to wait until the mud drys up! 

It's snowing now, going to be 70 Friday...then 36 and snow Monday...sure keeping the doctors pockets lined heavily this year.

Racing season is supposed to start - but I honestly don't see that happening until mid-May.

Raining gators and turtles down here.  Got soaked running four steps from truck to garage with the groceries.  Rain is good for pastures, but if it stays cool at night, the grass won't grow.  

Jacob (Jake) is getting a little more playful.  He has no playmates except us (the other housecats won't give him the time of day) so he might be weird.  :crazy:  His developmental stage says he's 3 weeks.  Too little for four weeks.  It's fun to watch him get more coordinated daily.  

Edited by little cow

Just because the calendar says its spring doesn't mean the RV or campgrounds are open right now.

Two calls this week asking about a site.

Friends of ours went to a campground/cabin this week. They're open year round. They were in spring-like clothes the day they arrived - went to bed and woke up with six inches of snow...they were hoping to escape the snow. Not so much, lol.

How could the grass grow with those temps.  Yes, it does grow but very very slowly.  But then again if it kills the grass it will be a while before he has to mow again.  There are pluses to the idea.

It has been freezing or below at least three or four nights a week and still it grows! It needed cutting two weeks ago. In fact, I had cut it twice by this date last year. We haven't mowed because it's too wet. But it's supposed to warm up tomorrow, so I'll probably cut it by the end of the week.

I've done the trick where let the grass grow long then lower the mower.  Would fry the grass to slow it down.  Did that when we lived in town as I was mowing 2x a week.  

We have sun today & people are saying we are to get 6-24in of snow in the next few days.  I just shake my head & will believe it when I see it.

Today it might hit 70, but we have snow forecast on Sunday.  Of course, that's the day I have a riding clinic I signed up for.  >;/  

And the tractors could be heard across the land. The farm next door is plowing the tobacco field. My neighbor on the other side is tuning up his tractor. I re-piled the manure pile with mine. A lot of fossil fuel being burned. I hope it's really spring this time. My poor horse has been lame too long.

We had 3 days of Spring last week, including tornado watch. Cold this weekend and very windy. Western Oklahoma is burning. Over 200,000 acres have burnt so far. Hope they get relief soon.

My youngest granddaughter's prom was last night. She looked so pretty and grown up. 

Everyone have a great day. I'm staying in and reading.

Not springlike here. Cold and rainy, freezing tonight. On the plus side I found a 4-leaf clover on the way back from the barn.

4 leaf clover.JPG

^^^It's been green for a month but every few days we get the freezing weather. The grass will be beyond the capability of my lawnmower soon, and may be already.

Only green here are the pine trees when no snow is stuck.  We still have snow coming down & probably wont be done till tomorrow.  Or at least maybe.  The system is doing that funky circular thing were is just stays put.  We have had storms like this before. 

10 hours ago, jubal said:

Heidi, how is your sister doing?

She is doing well.  She is going out a couple evenings a week, went to BINGO with friends this weekend at a local nursery.  She went to the same place last week for a sip-n-paint and had a good time.  She is still sleeping downstairs in the family room.  Our Mother did the same after our stepdad passed away in 2004 - continued to sleep in the family room.  Missy seems to be keeping with tradition.  I told her she'll make the change and sleep upstairs when she's ready.  Or when her son is home from college, has friends over watching movies or gaming and she needs to sleep - then she'll sleep upstairs!  LOL
We talk almost every night, 15-60min.  She is thinking of coming out to visit at the end of June.  She and I are also planning a trip to MA in September to visit the family plot (Mom, Dad, Grandparents) and do some tourist-y things like visit Salem.  Mom's brothers and their wives may join us for that trip.  We are related to Giles Corey, pressed to death in Salem, through a daughter from his first marriage.

Hello all! Been crazy busy here. Our weather has been crazy, back and forth a lot. I think we have been getting all 4 seasons crammed into 1 week.  We went from 70 and sunny Tuesday to 30's and snowing by Thursday.  In the last week we have had sun, rain, hail, snow, wind and thunderstorms.  We finally got a dry day yesterday so I got my lawn mowed quick. Was getting way to long. We have only had 1 dry day in over two weeks. Looks like we are supposed to get snow again on Tuesday. 

Both cats are doing good. Cant believe they are almost 2 years old! Next month it will be 2 years that I have been in my place. Time sure flies. My horse is doing good. He is a muddy hairy mess, he loves loves the mud and will go out of his way to roll in it. lol. He turns 24 next month on the 3rd. I have a new vet coming out for an exam and meet and greet next week. My old vet retired after 30 years, will be odd to have someone new after all that time, hope my horse likes her. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Heidi, I'm glad your sister is doing well. It's sometimes difficult to adjust after being a caretaker for so long. I'm sure it also helps that you all talk so often. Let us know if you have any spooky occurrences in Salem, like a feeling of "heaviness."

PW,  how did your kitties do with the Christmas tree this year? Do you have new pics of them? I can't believe they're two years old.  And I didn't know your horse was that old either. He sure doesn't look it.