Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Signs of spring?

They terrorized the tree like usual. Lol. It doesn t seem like my horse should be that old already. I hope he's around for a long time more. I will add some updated kitty pics. The first one is Desi, my little boy kitty. The 2nd pic has both Lucy and Desi. 

20180403_104243.jpg

20180329_075827.jpg

Forgot to add a pic of a cake I made for work. It's a giant ding dong cake. 1st pic shows the frosted cake. It was frosted with a chocolate ganache. 2nd pic you can see the cake and the filling.

20180412_225018.jpg

20180412_220620.jpg

PW!! I can't believe you put that cake  photo there with no warning! Now you triggered my chocoholism. The kitties really grew and look very serious about getting their picture taken. And I never got the connection between the redhead kitty and Lucy. Good name choice!

They are both such pretty kitties!  I'd never heard of a ding dong cake, but after looking at the 2nd pic, I totally believe it would taste just like a ding dong.  Aaaaand, now I want chocolate, too.  *goes off to get a choc chip cookie*

30714511_10214089546806800_3137911163816247296_o.thumb.jpg.a1e442cac13b2295f7683983dfc2d493.jpgWhat had some kitties, Painted Wishes! And I'm glad I wasn't the only one to react to being stuck inside by making a chocolate cake (although in my case it was 7 minute frosting cake).  I told my husband it was an unbirthday cake.  ;)

This week is supposed to hober at a mere 20 degrees below the average instead of 30, so that's improvement I guess.  The grass is valiantly trying to green up and trees are impatient here in any case.

PW, you are lucky my hubby has cat allergies.  Desi would be missing from your home.

No grass here.  Got dumped on yesterday & now it is snowing again.  Yes we have had years where get snow in April but they are usually a one/two day dump then melted off in three.  The temps just don't want to warm up any.

4 hours ago, PaintedWishes said:

Forgot to add a pic of a cake I made for work. It's a giant ding dong cake. 1st pic shows the frosted cake. It was frosted with a chocolate ganache. 2nd pic you can see the cake and the filling.

20180412_225018.jpg

20180412_220620.jpg

Looks more like a giant suzy-Q....the unfrosted one.

Edited by equicrzy

Love your kitties, Painted. Looks like they are posing for you.

Those cakes are killing me! There is nothing sweet in my house.

Tomorrow looks like a good day to mow. Supposed to be around 80. I don't think we'll be having any more freezes. I need to start planting garden this week.

The cats are nice looking,   but the cakes are tempting,  have bit more resistance since I just ate.

Just hot back from my trip south, & the only sign of spring I saw was 8 inches of snow in my driveway.  There was snow flurries  blowing across the road, from south of Branson  MO. to when I stopped in Clear Lake IA. last night.  Thought wiser to travel the rest of the way home in the day light.   Later.  PD

PD, definitely a good call to drive during the day.  Lady I talked to today said she drove on Sunday and saw loads of cars in the ditch, and it wasn't even as bad here as where you're at.

Grey, my hubby drove 25 miles south to get supplies & said there were all sorts of vehicles in the ditch.

Had a caller yesterday ask from me to guarantee what the weather would be in the next couple days.  Basically told him I lost my in with Mother Nature & he would have to travel at his discretion.  :rolleye0014:

Had another caller ask about a RV site for May2.  Laughed at her & said we still have over a foot of snow on the ground.  Another was cranky because I wouldn't guarantee the RV site in early mid June.  Told her we've had snow in June & then there is the frost.  Apparently living my life up north has no bearing.

Still remember the year there was still ice on Lake Superior in July.  Talk about s chilly summer.

My plan was to come here and talk about my trip to the nursery yesterday. However...I try to be compassionate when it's called for, so I won't describe what an amazing day I had piddling in the garden.

I always check out the opinion page of local paper, one person had written a letter to editor, about old man winter, & their thoughts about how OLM  needed to go away. It was funny but so true, as we need change of season after a long winter, one that doesn't seem to want to go away.  When I was gone south I got to see green grass & dandelions, & 70 degree weather. Now I'm back to 30 degrees & 6-8 inches of snow.  PD

Oh PD, I'm sure you missed your lovely winter weather...I know I would [not!].

We got a good amount of snow today. Light snow now. Rain tomorrow with more snow coming in Thursday. Guess racing isn't happening this weekend. Wish they'd just cancel now though. It's a high of 43 Saturday and it doesn't start until 7p. I think it'd be way too cold to run our car, regardless.

PD, so guessing I can't pawn any of my extra iceberg lettuce or snow peas onto you.  Bummer...

Pink, we are to get warmer in a couple of days another hit of winter mix.  As always will believe it when I see it.

Grimmie, had a staffer tell me that someone got their house raided because police heat sensors picked up usual amounts.  Supposedly they broke into the house only to find the house full of vegetable plants.  Been to cold to be able to put them out on the porch during the day.

Well I got my comeuppance today. It was sunny but a brisk cold wind. It was either cut the grass or have to bushhog it later. I had to wear a winter coat and earflap hat. I recall making fun of my neighbor for doing that not long ago.

I mowed today too, Jubal. We finally had a warm day. Hope everyone gets to enjoy the sun soon. My yard was a mess. Took me over 3 hours just mowing. 

We had 40s yesterday morning.  In Florida.  We have had a weird cold spring so far.  Pastures are pouting.

In other news, Libby, my 28 year old Morgan (and only horse) has had a mild colic off and on since Sunday.  Gave her Banamine per the vet Sunday night and she felt better.  Bran mashes with soaked alfalfa cubes, aloe, applesauce and molasses for flavor is what she gets in several small meals.  We tried a little hay, in addition to her bran mashes, on Monday and she was painful again Monday night, so another dose of Banamine (thank goodness I have it on hand).  Gave her bran mashes all day yesterday.  Vet said to try hay again today.  I just gave her a bran mash and two handfuls of timothy this morning.  I'll check her before I take the boy to school.  We don't know the cause.  No detectable sand in her poop.  No temperature.  She is drinking enough water, as far as I can tell.   I will blame it on coastal hay.  It's never bothered her before and I always buy the nicest hay I can find, but it causes issues in some horses.  Coastal is easy to find, grown locally, and a good price.  But, there is a risk associated with it.  Our vet and I even had this talk months ago.  I asked about the risk.  She said that the vast majority of horses never have a problem with it.  But, if one colics, switch hay.  So, I bought Libby timothy hay Monday.  I switched the pony over, too.  It's pricey, but I am not taking chances anymore.  The goat and donkey can stay on coastal (obesity is a donkey's biggest issue and our vet has not seen coastal cause issues in donkeys).  It also never causes issues with cattle or sheep.  

Edited by little cow

Little Cow, I'm sorry to hear about the colic issues. I had a mare colic on me 3 times before Christmas...all in the span of 6 weeks. We did a Belly tap, added more alfalfa to her diet, blood work. Dewormed her for tapeworm. Finally at the end of it, both my vet and I were getting a little worried.  I decided to have her stomach scoped! Sure enough, she had a very mild case of Ulcers. We treated her, and have not had another incident with it!  I would also encourage a gradual switch in the hay vs just switching cold turkey!  Hope ya's can figure it out!

LC seems not matter where you live it is really hard to get quality hay.  For once I found fantastic hay locally, otherwise we used to drive over an hour to get our supply.  Sure hope your Libby will be ok.

Good morning RR :-) I have been blessed to be able to have cut our own hay last year! We have rented 75 acres of land, a blessing in disguise!  I too was tired of looking for hay , people honestly don't know how to do hay correctly around here!  We put up 3000 Sq bales of Timothy hay, and have used approx 50 4x4 rounds as well to feed the preggo mama's outside.

I need to figure out how to add pictures on here again! I am sure it's simple! I have been blessed with some amazing horses over the past 3 years.

This is Zac, he is registered with APHA and AQHA. He just turned 2!

Miley, she is a Grulla Tobiano filly and she just turned 2 April 16th!

Our first show is the end of May!

20526796_1471414649618272_1075626848_n.jpg

IMG_6032.JPG

Flying Stars,   Nice looking horses, 

LC,  Sorry about your mare & the colic, no doubt  age plays a part in any health problems, as resistance just is not as strong as in the past.   I wish you well.  Best Wishes.  PD

LC, my last horse was prone to colic. I never found a cause. When he was down in his stall and uncomfortable, I would start walking him. It usually took about a half hour and it was over. It got so he would practically walk himself. He lived to 29. He did well on Purina Senior which is alfalfa based, and alfalfa cubes.  Does she have access to grass? It's usually a pretty good laxative this time of year. I hope she comes out of it okay.

Flying nice looking ponies you have.  Good luck with your shows this year.

We have grass pasture but it really likes to grow rocks.  I am not interested at all in the pastime of rock picking.

LC, could your mare be coming into heat?  I've heard from a few people who have mares that have unexplained mild colic and figured out it coincided with them going into season.  I think they found that raspberry leaves helped alleviate the hormonal issues.