Sign in to follow this  
Paige Alger

Horse Brand

I got my gorgeous 15.2 hand, bay gelding, AQH last year in May. I got him off a working ranch from Tucucari New Mexico. He has papers and he’s been with a few different people in the past. He has two brands, two on his left hip and the other on his two “butt cheeks” (haha). I am so curious about locating his brands but I’m having the hardest time. One of them on his hip is a W and a heart next to it, the one under neath is a L with an arch above it and two dots besides it. The ones on his butt are number which I don’t remember on the top of my head. Can someone help? Thanks 

Edited by Paige Alger
Misspelled word

Do you know where your horse was foaled and registered? Some states have brand registries but you need to know what state. Do you know the states he's been in? If you can trace where he's been, you can google the brand registries for those states. I'm really not familiar with brands. Maybe someone else can give you better advice.

It is very likely that he was initially branded by his breeder, which would be listed on the face of his papers. The numbers on his butt cheeks are probably foaling year and an ID of his sire line. Many of the big ranches have a built-in ID system of letters or numbers that easily identify each stud. (Ex., 09 would be 2009 foaling year and 4323 would be his sire's ID.)

The other "ranch" brand on his hip was likely a subsequent owner who uses a brand as ID. If you pull his owner history and Google them, you'll probably be able to find who uses which brand.