Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Shampoo Conditioner Ratio

When you buy shampoo, do you buy two bottles and only one of conditioner because of the annoying ratio issue?  Or, do you buy one bottle of shampoo and one of conditioner, hoping that, somehow, this time, you will use them both up evenly?  Do you actually wash your hair twice with shampoo before conditioning, further disrupting the ratio of shampoo to conditioner?   DO you have lonely bottles of conditioner that have lost their mates long ago, on the extra shelf in the bathroom?  

I don't shampoo twice.  I try to scrub enough the first time.  I still run out of shampoo before the conditioner is even close to running out.  I switch around products, because my hair is finicky, but I still have all those lonely bottles.  I keep meaning to change my habits and buy two bottles of shampoo for every one bottle of conditioner, but my continuing optimsm causes me to hope that, just maybe, this time, it will work out. 

Why they don't sell conditioner in little bottles and shampoo in bigger ones, is beyond me.  Don't they know that we all want lots of lather for our shampoo and only a modest amount of conditioner?  I think it's a conspiracy.  I think the evil shampoo people plan this.  Or elves are sneaking in our bathrooms at night to steal little bits of shampoo.   They know women tend to have an embarrassing little conditioner collection (which baffles all males).  It makes us look like hoarders.  

Edited by little cow

I run out of conditioner before shampoo...I wash and condition every day. Granted, I use natural shampoos, but having curly hair I cannot comb it unless it's conditioned.

I don't use conditioner--problem solved. But the problem for me is, just when I find a shampoo I like and know all the places that carry it, it gets discontinued. I'm still mourning the loss of Wella Balsam. And after that Neutrogena. Now I use an organic, Aura, and it's getting hard to find. So when I do locate it, I buy two or more. If it doesn't lather enough, just use more shampoo. That rinse, repeat stuff is a con.

I haven't had this problem for so long, I couldn't tell you what my ratio of use is because I rarely buy product in pairs.  Whichever brand(s) of shampoo/conditioner I use, I keep one pair in the shower and one pair under the cupboard as replacement.  When I run out of a bottle in the shower, I transfer a bottle from the cupboard to the shower for use and the next time I'm at the store I buy a replacement for under the cupboard.

I do shampoo twice and lately I've been using a leave-in conditioner that is not the same brand as my shampoo.  I may end up using the unused conditioner bottles for the horses and only buy shampoo and Wen conditioner for myself.

Stop falling for the marketing ploys that say you need to use three inches of toothpaste on your toothbrush and that you must purchase shampoo and conditioner as an inseparable pair.

Edited by Heidi n Q

I buy just one of each but I do weekly deep conditioning with a hair mask and use keratin serum after each wash. I have a lot of fine curly hair that dries out easily. You do not need to wash your hair daily and it's actually really bad for your scalp and hair. The oils on your scalp help protect your hair from drying and splitting. If you have oily scalp, every other day is fine. Dry scalp, you should be fine every three days or so. You do not need much shampoo. If you are getting a thick lather that is probably too much soap. If you have hard water it can be difficult to rinse soap out. Rain water is really nice for removing buildup because it is slightly acidic. 

Clearly I have spent too much time managing my hair lol.

Last year I found a really good shampoo and since using it my hair has grown out the longest I have ever gotten it to grow and I do not need much product. Really loving it.

TigerLilly- It sounds like we have similar hair.  What do you use? 

I tend to get along better with washing every other day and using shampoos and conditioners marketed for black people.  I do get my friends teasing me a bit over that, (hey, your hair smells like mine, lol!).  But, I have it much easier than they do, so I never complain about my hair.  I would just get serious eye rolls.  

I used to think curly hair would be great. Then a friend's daughter visited for a few days and I saw all the stuff she had to do to her hair every day, besides the time it took her and I decided I was happy with my horse tail.

I end up with a half bottle of shampoo and, no conditioner, because, I use more conditioner than shampoo.

My hair is long and, I like to make sure I get the conditioner distributed evenly from scalp to ends...... I probably use more than I actually need.

If I don't also use some kind of smoother during humid days, I get frizzies..... I hate frizzies.

21 hours ago, little cow said:

TigerLilly- It sounds like we have similar hair.  What do you use? 

I tend to get along better with washing every other day and using shampoos and conditioners marketed for black people.  I do get my friends teasing me a bit over that, (hey, your hair smells like mine, lol!).  But, I have it much easier than they do, so I never complain about my hair.  I would just get serious eye rolls.  

Hask shampoo and conditioner and tresemme keratin serum or the Hask keratin works fine too. And Hask Argan oil deep conditioner weekly or as needed. 

TL, thanks for the tip.  

I always run out of shampoo before conditioner.  I thought it was a common problem, but it must be because I have fine hair that doesn't tolerate too much conditioner.  

It's also probably because I am the only female in the house and I think the males that scoff at my 'girly' shampoo secretly use it (but avoid the conditioner as if it was made of straight estrogen). :P

Anyone else notice their shampoo disappearing because of beloved family members?

Edited by little cow

Does anyone use the Monat hair products? I recently tried some samples on my fine long hair and am really liking them. Anyone else have experiences with their products?

Get a pixie cut & the amount of hair product usage drops dramatically.

I use salon products because store brands will cause my scalp to break out.  Even when my hair was long I'd use a small amount of shampoo along with little conditioner. Only time do a second shampoo is when the first doesn't cut it because my hair is dirty.  So the big bottles go along way.  I have been in the habit of not washing my hair on a daily basis & it feels healthier.

Like Heidi I keep an extra bottle of each in the cabinet.  Only time I really ran out was when Shortman thought it would be great to fill the bathtub with a bottle of everything.  Talk about bubbles & a grumpy mama bear.   

On 4/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, Barrelpony1 said:

Does anyone use the Monat hair products? I recently tried some samples on my fine long hair and am really liking them. Anyone else have experiences with their products?

There are so many horror stories around it that I won’t touch it, I can’t afford to have the already crappy hair I have to be destroyed. 

I never finish either bottle. I have a massive collections of shampoos and conditioner bottles with just a little bit in them. I tend to replace before needed and hoard the leftovers. But someday, if we ever end up extremely broke, I will still be able to wash and condition my hair lol

I have long, thick but fine hair, not straight but not curly. I use more conditioner than shampoo because I only shampoo the scalp/roots but I condition all the way to the ends. I have been using these products for several months and am really happy with them and with my hair. I only wash my hair about twice a week and use only about a couple of teaspoons of shampoos and a couple of tablespoons of conditioner. I can almost sit on my hair, it touches my chair seat when I am sitting, and washing it is a project. With this stuff, my hair does not get oily and still smells fresh and clean after 4 or 5 days. Less hair is coming out when I brush/comb it and I feel better about what is going down the drain. It does rinse easily even in my hard well water and is available in several varieties. The conditioner says not to use it on the roots but I do and have no trouble. It does not leave that slick feeling on wet hair but it de-tangles my mop just fine and my hair is supper soft and very shiny. Shiny is not bad for a strawberry blonde!

Love Beauty And Planet Murumuru Butter & Rose Shampoo Blooming Color 13.5 oz