Lucy2603

Is He Still Possible?

I am looking into getting a second horse from my friend, he need a LOT of work, he spooks at everything and is hard to catch in the pasture, they got him from an auction and where told he seemed fine there, he was abused before they got him and before the other people got him is what I have understood. I don't know his age but I would guess he is in his teens, I will find out before I buy him for sure. Is there any chance for him to become more than just a pasture ornament and be retrained to become a good calm horse or no?

Many horses that have been abused cannot be rehabilitated. At the least you won't be able to trust him for a long time and he may be dangerous. Rehabbing an abused horse is not for a beginner.

I’m not a beginner, I just wanted another opinion on it

Edited by Lucy2603

If you haven't rehabbed an abused horse before, you are a beginner, at rehabbing horses.

Edited by jubal

Don't buy a problem that needs a lot of work unless you are ready, willing and able to put in the knowledge, time and money it requires. 

There are plenty of good horses out there that need homes.  Personally, I don't have the time or skill to fix issues from other people's problem horses.  Rather than buy a *cough-cough* "bargain" and have to spend time and good money *hoping* I can turn a problem horse into a horse that is good for me, I prefer to spend money on a good horse I know will be good for me from the beginning.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, jubal said:

If you haven't rehabbed an abused horse before, you are a beginner, at rehabbing horses.

Ok, I misunderstood you, but I gotta start somewhere. Last year someone I knew bought three untrained yearling colts off the feedlot and asked me to work with them, I don’t know if that counts but I know that they were not at all nice horses when she got them and she revoked them afterwards. He has already been pretty rehabilitated well, but he is rude and spooky on the ground and Undersaddle, but I think that also partly due to the fact that he wasn’t very well trained before they got him and he has just been able to get away with those bad habits.

So you want to pay actual money for a horse that can't be caught and ridden?  A horse that might have physical issues behind his behavior?  Unless it's a really NICE horse breeding or skill wise, I'd try my hand at training decent horses over and over again before diving in to wasting money on a problem  horse. After all, as said above, there's plenty of horses out there without issues that would love a good owner.  Some of them just need a bit of training, or get some wet saddle blankets.

I absolutely wouldn't try rehabbing a horse like that without having a vet come out and look him over first to see if there's a physical reason why he's acting up and to check just how old he is.