Sign in to follow this  
GreyDrakkon

Too far gone?

Hey I've been looking for a saddle for my mare without breaking the bank.  Since I have no issues with cleaning and can even do a bit of leather working when I was handed this saddle and told I could have it cheap if I wanted to give it a try.  I got some good leather conditioner and it seems to be doing pretty well, except when manipulating the front of the skirt I could feel a distinct hard bump through the shearling right where it would rest against the shoulder.  (You can see in the photo where I made an indent with my finger tip) When peeking into the layers, I can see a bit of separation and what looks like a nail  (If you can't see what I'm talking about on the pic, I'll circle it). Is this saddle worth even trying to salvage?  Should I try tapping it back in/yanking it out?  IMG_20180411_174811.thumb.jpg.2cce3bf6a4b7ac1bbde7fc10a1f6b679.jpgIMG_20180411_174739.thumb.jpg.c16e95967abe4576e36ce141450d87a6.jpg

Do you have a saddle repair near you? They might tell you if it's safe. One did that for me when I had an old one. It had dry rot though, so I chose to scrap it. I put it on top of the garbage can on garbage day with a note that it was dry rotted and unsafe. It was gone before the garbage truck came.