Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Are horsepeople truly nuts?

There is a certain stigma attached to horsepeople, especially horsewomen.  Is it deserved?  I have heard a few men joke about dating crazy horsewomen.  I have seen the eyerolls and smirks.  Are they misjudging us?

Are we truly THAT crazy, or do we put ourselves in situations which are unusual and that brings out the worst?  Boarding barns, for example.  I think this is the biggest source of crazy in the horse world.  Can you imagine any other situation where adults and teens would leave their favorite pets to live away from home?  I think this does make some people obnoxious.  I was "the help" at boarding barns when I was younger and experienced the frothing at the mouth, psycho, don't-touch-my-horsey types.  They were rare, thank goodness.

Or, am I missing something?  Is there something about horses that makes us different?  Are we risk takers and adrenalin junkies?  Are we independent and used to having things our way?  Does being around horses make us crazy?

Maybe it's the fly spray.  They are neurotoxins, after all.  :crazy:

You have to be a little bit nuts to put your life in the hooves of a 1000 pound animal with a mind of its own, no matter how well trained.

The answer to your original question is yes. And this is the only sport where any person who gets anywhere near a horse two or more times becomes an expert.

The answer is definitely yes, especially among men, as most male horse lovers are in the minority, as I've trail ridden with alot of other mens wives.  It was for the love of the horse & the out doors that I have endured it.  But there are people in every field of interest that are a bit extreme. Many people blend together there love of horses with other interests, & barely show up on the radar.  PD

Edited by Proud Dad

So, wait, we're all nuts?  Shoot!  I thought I was the normal one.  That's how it goes though.  When you think everyone else is nuts, it might actually be you.  :crazy:

Signs that prove you are NOT nuts:

Talk about how each individual horse on your farm has his/her own scent.  And yes, one does go out & take a big whiff.

Running around in your pj t-shrit, unders, with a pair of old sorrel winter boots, halter in one hand & lunge whip in other determined to catch naughty pony.  Does this make me crazy??? Nope....Just that anybody watching is crazy because they are not smart enough to figure out what I am doing in a t-shirt with winter boots middle of summer.  

On cold winter days you go in the paddock slip off your mitts & put your hands up under the horses mane to warm them up.  Does this make me crazy??? Nope....just that the others once again aren't smart enough to get their own hand warmers.

Oh how I could go on & on about how we are not crazy but the rest of the populous is bat poo crazy. 

1 equine away from becoming a hoarder. Crazy equine lady? I have more unemployed equines than I do employed ones yet I keep them, keep feeding and vetting them and keep saying we will get them broke some day.

Maybe. :crazy: