Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

We have our first joust this weekend

So Coblet and I have our first jousting tournament this weekend! 

It's over three days with two shows per day. Eeeek. Joust then a melée (mounted sword fight) plus some living history unmounted parts with the public in between. 

So yes..... Sparks gets to stay at a castle this weekend! 

Wish us luck! I'll get photos. Not quite like anything we've done before!!!! 

do you have to wear armour?  just don't fall off unless they have a crane to hoist you back up

Thanks! We survived our first show yesterday he was epic! 

Second show today. I'll upload photos when I'm back home. 

It's 13th century open field jousting so in maille not plate armour.... Still heavy though! 

So we had an amazing time!!! 

We were decided the winner of the tournament on the final day! 

I ruptured my soleus muscle and achilles tendon last weekend from other horse jumping off the ramp unloading onto my leg,I'm not meant to ride for 6-8 weeks .. so it was particularly challenging physically.And thunderstorms scattered Sunday afternoon. 

Literally amazing time though. So proud of him! 

IMG_20180528_211657_002.jpg

IMG_20180528_210140_990.jpg

IMG_20180528_210140_977.jpg

FB_IMG_1527526720875.jpg

IMG_20180528_210140_972.jpg

FB_IMG_1527535849848.jpg

_20180528_203400.JPG

_20180528_203349.JPG

FB_IMG_1527443824582.jpg

received_990400241110224.jpeg

IMG_20180528_212123_922.jpg

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

Geez! Do you actually hit each other with those spears and swords?! You look very authentic but I can't imagine riding with all that costume on. I hope your injury heals okay. How is your other horse coming along?

Yes it's all authentic to the time period to the best we can. It's around 20kilos extra in maille. It definitely takes some getting used to! 

The swords are blunted slightly to about 1-2mm. The lances are bolsa wood. Yes, it's all contact! 

It's veeeeery different to anything I've done before lol. 

Solo is a work in progress..... I sent him away to be broken however pulled him back early as wasn't very happy with them, so he's now at the Spanish yard with me and sparks being finished there. He's happy enough though and coming along. 

IMG_20180524_193009_565.jpg

IMG_20180526_131814_443.jpg

IMG_20180524_193009_585.jpg

IMG_20180524_193009_564.jpg

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

Amazing pictures! I think that would have been a blast in my younger years, not so much now.

The pony has matured really nicely!

10 minutes ago, jubal said:

Solo is looking like Coblet in a different coat.

I shall take that as a sincere compliment! 

He's very different to Coblet but a sweety none the less. What a difference Sparks was at his age..... 4 years of handling before really makes a difference compared to Solo who had limited handling. 

1 hour ago, NaughtyNeigh2 said:

I shall take that as a sincere compliment! 

He's very different to Coblet but a sweety none the less. What a difference Sparks was at his age..... 4 years of handling before really makes a difference compared to Solo who had limited handling. 

Yes, a compliment. I've forgotten--what breed(s) is Solo? I'm remembering Welsh but where do the feathers come from? And I'm worried about those weapons in the jousts.

^^^Maybe they were crossed with cob along the line to get the height? Just wondering. Our Welsh pony didn't have feathers.

The smaller ones don't tend to have much feather, section a/b/c types..... Section d's tend to have small whispy feathers at the fetlocks like he does over here. 

He's got full Welsh bloodlines all the way back, then back to thoroughbred and Arab like the rest of them. 

His actual cannon bones are tiny, he's got big joints but tiny cannons! 

Young Solo got leant over today! 

I'm on holiday in Europe but got sent this photo today of him. 

Few other pics from Europe also. We planned a road trip through France Belgium Germany and the Netherlands, as my partner is riding in some international historic events over the two weekends so we're road tripping in between! 

received_10156444972287495.jpeg

IMG_20180605_131840_689.jpg

IMG_20180602_223948_309.jpgreichenstein, rhein Germany 

IMG_20180531_113613_389.jpgbutte de lionne, Waterloo, Belgium 

IMG_20180605_131840_695.jpgreichenstein Castle, Germany 

IMG_20180605_131840_700.jpg

IMG_20180603_171842_201.jpg

IMG_20180602_223948_310.jpgbrandenburg Germany 

IMG_20180605_131840_690.jpgreichenstein Castle Germany 

IMG_20180604_182507_373.jpgrhein Germany 

MOV_4224_000208.jpg

MOV_4243_000022.jpg

MOV_4222_000010.jpgbrandenburg Germany 

DSC_4272.JPG

Bingen Germany 

DSC_4273.JPG

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

On 06/06/2018 at 8:50 PM, jubal said:

Solo doesn't look very worried.

I need locations for the photos! Looks like a fun trip.

Added locations! 

I'm currently in Amsterdam where there is a riding house built in the 1700's based on Vienna Spanish riding school! They do demonstrations however it's mostly an actual riding school for the local public now and the majority of the horses are of mixed breeds. Still a very interesting find in the centre of Amsterdam! 

DSC_4295.JPG

DSC_4296.JPG

DSC_4289.JPG

DSC_4286.JPG

DSC_4287.JPG

The riding school is really interesting. I think it's strange that tie stalls are still in use. My grandfather's barn had tie stalls on one side and box stalls on the other side. It was built in the 20's.

In the tournament photos, what are the tents in the background used for? I love the castle pictures. I was in Germany for one summer long ago and the scenery brings back memories. But the only castle I visited was Heidelberg.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

I'm quite used to stalls now as a lot of the later historic shows we do all use stalls mostly and quite popular with the iberian horses and stallions. 

They had a mix of proper stables and the stalls out the back. And some room in the public park opposite. 

The tents are various medievil stalls and traders in the event. 

Just a King's squire, banner type person! Not too sure exactly as it was a Dutch event and all in Dutch lol. He could run fast anyway haha! We were guests invited there to participate. 

Solo had a little walk with someone leant over for the first time. The other yard caused him massive issues with the saddle and rider so he's getting there slowly. I'll never send a horse away to be broken again, but anyway, he's happy being home again and realising people aren't all scary. 

received_10156462788642495.mp4

IMG_20180614_103033_742.jpg

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

Indeed. I was not happy at all. The jousting yard owner very kindly went and picked him up straight away for me. 

It was a recommended yard too. I thought I was being particular with it only going to one people had recommended and my winter yard had grazing banned for nearly four months due to the ground being too wet. I thought I'd send him away to a good yard with grazing and an arena to start doing stuff rather than be stuck stabled 24/7 with no facilities at my yard. Right intentions..... Bad decision however. 

He's in the right place now at least. Onwards and up. 

Sounds like he's in a better place, now.  He definitely is lovely and I can see him calmly 'thinking' in the photo of the person laying over him.

You know that I adore Coblet - how fun that you did something totally new with that great guy!  The horse costume is cool and great that you can ride him with it, but I missed seeing his beautiful self!

I have a hard time visualizing why the trainer in the photo of Solo is holding onto the rider's leg. If the horse shies or takes off suddenly, won't that put the rider face down in the dirt?

Edited by jubal