Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Puppy search

These 2 pics shows the cray-cray my 6 year old possessess...5b117054615a1_KaliKona110313.thumb.jpg.c1c0356b438b293d1987ae5d15d21dc7.jpg2012-07-05_11-32-31_672.thumb.jpg.fce95fda8ec42f97fd33cd8256956e47.jpgses...

Edited by farah

Some good looking dogs on here, Don't know if there is a bad breed, just different breeds for different people.  PD

Wow, awesome pictures, Farah!  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  My husband and I don't do anything without a lot of research.  In fact, our local puppy classes encourage the whole family to attend with their new addition and we thought that would be good for a Chessie.  I usually train the family dogs myself, but we are making it more formal for this puppy and attending classes.  I have a couple of books recommended by the breeder to study before we pick our little puppy up.  

Farah, funny question.  I noticed your wooden stairs.  Our new house has oak stairs with poly finish.  Do you have a runner down the middle?  Do you worry about dog claws denting the stairs?  Our builder said we could sand them down and redo the finish as needed, but we thought we might go for a runner instead.  

The wood is only that top piece, the rest is carpet. But that wood piece needs refinishing pretty bad as does out kitchen floor which is oak. Kali does the Fred Flintstone thing when it's time for food and has scratched the heck out of our floors. I keep waiting for her to realize that I will STILL feed her twice a day, but she hasn't gotten the memo. Every meal is her last meal in her mind so she gets fired up!!

Do you know if you are getting a male or a female? My experience with males is pretty limited, but the ones I have known tend to be more aggressive and pig headed. :) Not that the females are any better, the breed is just a very stubborn yet sensitive breed. But honestly, I wouldn't have any other breed, but we do use them for hunting so they are working dogs as well. :) Good luck, and can't wait to see pics of the pup!

Thanks for the response.  Good to know about the stairs.  We're getting a male.  We have a female spaniel, so that would be best.  Two female dogs would make me worry.  Chessies love to work, so we hope he will find something to do on the farm.  If not, we love the water and dock jumping looks like so much fun. 

We tried Dock Dogs with Kona, never did it with Kali. Although, we live on a lake and she does jump off the dock!

And try having two female Chessies, that was super fun when Kali hit about 2. Fights almost every day. Once she got spayed it was much better, knock on wood, it's been at least a year since the last fight! Fortunately, it was just wrestling and growling, never any blood shed. Except for me trying to break it up!!!

This was the love of my life, my business partner and mother to my one surviving puppy that I thankfully still have. This was the most amazing ***** who had a bright future ahead of her as we were excited about her next breeding (I was going to breed her to the top winning Parson in breed history worldwide, he is amazing). Truthfully, I do not recommend anything from my bloodlines if you have chickens or cats and other small farm pets, but they have a love of children and old people that is uncanny.   There are breeders that are purposefully breeding out prey drive, but I will not.  Her and one of her other daughters who was 4 years old were my familiars.  

FB_IMG_1510407014311.jpg

Beautiful dog!  So glad you still have her line.  I hope you can preserve her line with future litters.  God bless and keep you and your animals safe.  

Terriers are so expressive.  We really did consider them in our puppy search.  The funny thing is that when Chessies came up, we were actually going back to a breed that we both knew about a long time ago, but needed more research before being brave enough to look for.  Chessies are not for everyone, but most of the breeds we have had can go terribly wrong without proper training.  My husband is more of a retriever person than I am, but I am looking forward to the challenge of training a different type of dog.  Our spaniel thinks differently than the herding dogs I've trained, so she was fun to train, too.  Now, I only regret not having a spaniel sooner, lol!  We don't hunt with her, either, though that's what she was bred for.  She found a niche on the farm and is quite happy with her role as rat and mole catcher!  My husband seriously considered hunting just to let her work.  He is saying the same thing about the Chessie.  I told him he has to like to eat duck if he's going to shoot ducks, lol!

Edited by little cow

Terriers are for the people who like a dog that is only obedient when they agree with your decision.  I grew to actually love that they blew me off more times than not.  Or I went slightly crazy and never realize it.

I find being around dogs like labrador retrievers boring.  I find the happy go lucky and always thinking you are the greatest thing ever kind of annoying.  I am the same with bernese mountain dogs, I pretty much hate them. That sounds really terrible.  

I think Chessies are more of a working mind and will serve you well and you will be delighted. 

As always come down to personalities.  I would sit a stafford terrier & english bull dog, needless to say I couldn't stand them.

The reason I love my 1/2 labs is you get a bit of quirky character with whatever is mixed in with the lab.  I love labs but those I have been around just don't seem to have much of a personality.  I like pets that can easily make you laugh.

There is def no lack of entertainment in our pack.  Left Odie in the lobby today when we went out for dinner.  That fart found a small jar with a screw lid that I was saving to start spider plant babies in.  He managed to get it open without breaking the lid or jar.

LC you are going to have fun with your new addition.  

I think Chessies are more of a working mind and will serve you well and you will be delighted. 

Chessies are of the mind that what you ask them to do is simply a suggestion. They will do so if they choose to. Nothing like a Lab or Golden. :)

Since this is mainly a dog post - do any of you have a dog on Vetmedin? My Grama had a dog who was on it, but ended up passing from CHF. She has a bottle and a half left. Would love to help someone if they need it. Vet wont take it because it wasn't purchased through them (bought at an online vet) - and waiting to hear from a local shelter.

Little Cow,

Have then sent you any pictures of the pile of curly haired freaks yet? I'm jonesing for some Chessie puppy pictures!!!!

Chessies always remind me of green scrub pads.  Their coats are deceiving as they are rather soft or at least the ones I've met.

I did take a look at it. I REALLY like all the testing they do. That's just not normal for a Chessie breeder (even though it should be!!!)