Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Greyhound racing

We have a chance down here in Florida to end it.  I hope we do.  The dog deaths and drugs have been highlighted lately.  But what about how they train these animals?  They don't learn to follow a fake fluffy lure until later.  They use live animals strapped down to the lure and allow the dogs to catch it...repeatedly....until it dies.  The live animals can be rabbits, but any small animal will do.  Use your imagination.  There is no euthanasia.  The animals suffer being torn apart while strapped down or tied by the legs and swung around while the dogs grab them, repeatedly, until they finally die.  You don't want to watch the undercover videos.  They're horrible.  The dogs learn to chase by getting a taste of these petrified, captive animals.  Then the dogs go through a very short career that includes drugs, pain, and early death for almost all of them.  Very few make it to rescues.  I think my state is waking up to this tragedy.  The dog tracks are seedy and creepy.  They are mainly there for the online gambling.  The dogs are just an excuse.  Just like the junk horse racing tracks doing the same thing down in South Florida.  A lot of money to be had and the horses live abysmal lives.  Their value is inflated and they are run in many more races than the racehorses on the big, rich, circuits.  They run them to death down there.  Maybe those cheap tracks are next.  

Edited by little cow

Human beings have never come up short of ways to torture animals. There are christian denominations that believe that God put animals and all natural resources on earth for the pleasure and needs of man. Therefore, there is no need to regulate how either is used. It's the same kind of thinking that subjugates women.

By all means, the dog races should be stopped. It is no less cruel than dog fighting or soring Walking Horses.

Perhaps it's best just to stick to the point about animals and not going after religion.  ;)

Most religions, including most Christians, do NOT view animals that way and believe ALL human beings should be treated with respect and dignity.  The people that don't believe human and animal life should be respected would be that way even if they were atheists.  It amazes me how many people with nasty worldviews call themselves one religion or another but haven't attended services in many, many years.  Most major religions believe that we are caretakers of the earth and we have failed miserably.  Just like most non church goers.  

Anyway....I really hope my state votes to ban greyhound racing.  

Edited by little cow

I've met two ex greyhounds off the tract,  one in crested butte Colorado and one in California. i'd adopt one anytime--lovely dogs and so grateful just to go for a walk,

Religion aside, it's just mind blowing what people do in the name of self gratification.    (political aside; just look at the Duck.)

On 6/2/2018 at 7:11 AM, jubal said:

Human beings have never come up short of ways to torture animals. There are christian denominations that believe that God put animals and all natural resources on earth for the pleasure and needs of man. Therefore, there is no need to regulate how either is used. It's the same kind of thinking that subjugates women.

By all means, the dog races should be stopped. It is no less cruel than dog fighting or soring Walking Horses.

They do  a pretty good job torturing each other too.

I worked at a dog track in Nevada, many years ago and, not only were the dogs treated badly, but, omg....the "trainers!"  Walking sleazeballs, who only cared about the money.

I didn't last there very long, despite the pay, for being the early 80's, was pretty good, I couldn't stomach it.

I heard, sometime later, the track was closed down, the Mafia and, all kinds of illegal goings on, were rumored.

I'd like to see all animal racing stopped, but, it'll probably never happen.