Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Silly Trot Question...

Since no other boards get the attention - I gotta ask...

Why do a lot of people try and post on a western horse at a trot? Has anyone noticed this?

I just seen someone post her new horse, who is just getting started under saddle, trot the barrel pattern. She was "posting" while trotting - but then like flopping around the barrel.

Maybe it's just a thing around here :confused0024:

Some horses have a very rough trot. If you don't want your teeth banging together, you'd better post on those horses. It would be pretty confusing to a green horse to have a person bouncing around on his back, I'd imagine. Also, green horses don't go in a straight line. They feel really wobbly under you.

I heard a commentator at the recent royal wedding asking why some of the riders were posting and others not. I'd say the ones posting were saving their butts.

Edited by jubal

I guess...lol. Makes sense with greenies.

I've had rough trotters but always as a kid I've been taught to sit them. 

That's why this was titled silly question.

I have a bulging disc in my spine. It was either from my brief Western riding period or from doing the twist when I was a teenager. I'm thinking the riding.:P

My old barrel horse I ride his trot at two point because it was rough. Bonnie has two different trots on is sittable but when she extendes its Bette to post.

Yep. I sit the ones I can sit and post the one's that are too uncomfortable. I would rather sit than post as posting is way too much work for me but sometimes I just have to!  A long trot for several miles on rough terrain will have me doing a combination, sit a few strides then post a few strides!

Because I've been riding English the last 5 or 6 years, but just recently switched back to Western, it's just a habit at this point. Even if I definitely prefer sitting the trot. :)

I've seen lots and lots of trainers starting to use the "post". I don't really know why, guess I will have to ask! The young man that started my last horse I trained, post on his horses (he is a cutting horse trainer).

17 minutes ago, DancinDreaminKid said:

I've seen lots and lots of trainers starting to use the "post". I don't really know why, guess I will have to ask! The young man that started my last horse I trained, post on his horses (he is a cutting horse trainer).

Because it actually helps a young horse pick up and hold a solid, balanced cadence.