Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

I need advice...

I know, two posts from me in the same week. But I have no one else to go to.

I work with our local paramedic group. We are owned by 8 or 9 different volunteer fire departments. Each department is allowed two representatives at the meeting. Then there is a board who is also made up with these volunteers who are elected and make executive decisions. They are in charge of the two supervisors/managers - the office & crew. The president of said board is my Mother.

I was hired by the office supervisor three years ago - it was intended that I would eventually take over her position when she retires.

Well, the meeting last night BLEW up. End result, the office manager resigned and the president quit. Office manager will be done the end of the month - the president aka my Mom, no idea. I knew NOTHING about this until I walked into work today and made the mistake of asking how the meeting went.

Now my pickle, I was hired with intention to move into the higher position. Which, in the end is my goal. More money, close to home, flexibility...but I feel that, even though I'm an adult and my own person, my Mom ruined that for me. It was already a huge hassle when I first got hired because some board members said it was a "conflict of interest". However, by the solicitor it was determined not to be as the board is all volunteer. (My Mom also offered to resign from President and the board voted no on that) I felt that I proved myself to the couple who made any comments on that.

Now, I'm in the middle. I don't know what's going to happen. I always kept it on the down low that I wanted that position to others, besides my boss, so they wouldn't look at me differently. I have been training some, so I do know a portion of it. I run the office when office manager is on vacation (like she will be in Florida for the next week). But, I just truly feel that I am going to get screwed out of this. I plan on talking to my Mom tonight. I am embarrassed by how she acted in the story I was told. What are your thoughts....if this even makes sense? I am kind of rambling. I mad, hurt, and sad all in one.

Yikes not a great place to be especially having Been blind sided. My advice would be for all your actions to be professional and non partisan so that you don't become entangled in the mess. Hoping you can still get you what you want.

Edited by grimmie

My advice would be to go to the person who would hire the office manager and ask what are your chances of training for that position, if you still want it. If you aren't satisfied with the answer, then be on the lookout for another job. (I would never have worked at the same place as my mother.)

Agree with Jubal.  Talk to the one who would hire & if it sounds there is a chance then submit a letter of interest along with a resume of the current tasks you complete in your position.  Don't forget about the tasks when you fill in for the previous manager.

I would just lay low for awhile and see what happens.  You are covering when she is gone, so you have the experience.  It doesn't sound like you are in a position to look for another job because of this, so, just keep doing well and proving that you are your own person.  Your mom's reaction at the meeting might have been triggered by her fear for you not getting the position, so maybe, go easy on mom, too.  When things calm down, cooler heads may prevail.  

Pink,   No advice I can't improve advice that has been given.    But I do wish you the very best as you find your way through this.                    Best Wishes. PD

Jubal, I don't work at the same place as my Mother (she works for a notary). She is a representative that sits on the board from our volunteer fire department. She is a nonpaid volunteer who attends a meeting once a month and had to be elected into her position.

As for the one who would hire - we don't have that person! The office manager (and I guess president) would be the one who hires, now that she has resigned no one knows what is going on.

LC - My Mom and the office manager don't get along. The back story is the OM wanted to go part time - the board said OM needs to be full time. OM resigned but stated that she thinks it's sad that she was never given a thank you or a Christmas gift in last seven years...that was the snapping point for my Mom. Again, she is a volunteer - not a paid employee. She did not get me my job nor would she have any power to get me a higher job. In fact, she told me a few months back that I would have to apply and go through the process, etc. She does not favor me in anything when it comes to this.

Edited by PinkTractor

Pink, I didn't mean you shouldn't work for the same place as your mother. I was talking about me. My mother was good at telling other people what to do. :flirt: But you need to make your wishes known to the president if you think that is the person who will be hiring the replacement.

They dont have a president, lol. VP denied president, so really no one knows what's going on.

Word is getting out...today has been crazy. Stressed doesnt even begin to describe it. One day at a time is all I can do.

Thanks all.

If there is no president to the board then it is up to the VP.    Now just might be the time to step up as they are all lost & you know the job.  It seems apparent you will not lose your current job so might as well go for it. Good Luck!!

Working with paramedics must be stressful enough as it is.  I hope things calm down soon.

Edited by little cow

RRW - that's why it's a confusing thing. The VP is denying the President position and although he is the next in line to make the decision no one feels comfortable with him doing it. I'm hoping that they see it as I can slide into that position and my current one would be the easier to learn/fill. I spoke with the operations manager and he asked me my thoughts. I told him, I don't think I'll get another opportunity to move into that position - as if they are to hire someone, chances are said person will stay in that position. I feel comfortable enough with the basics that I can keep this place running until I learn everything. I've been running it on my own the last year any time OM was out of the office. My position now is non-emergency billing and then filling in OM and dispatcher/scheduler any time either is out. I feel confident that, that alone, should make them see I am a good employee. 

LC - It is. This week has been awful. We've been slammed with emergency and non-emergency calls and it's only been myself and my dispatcher here since Wednesday.

I've had time to think, I've had time to vent, I feel it's all just a matter of time before things fall into place. Hopefully. 

Whew!  This seems like such a roller coaster experience for you.  I hope it all shakes out to your benefit.

My life is always a roller coaster. I'll get through. Hoping to get some answers soon. Operations manager is going to write a letter since they never asked for his opinion/thoughts. I am going to write up a letter of interest this weekend and just hold on to it. They're going to have to call a special meeting to order before too long...

Well, official resignation letters have been received. A special meeting will be held tomorrow night. I'm not involved in the meeting but my operation manager is going, guess Wednesday will be the know it all day...

My fingers are crossed, Pink. I know it's hard to have the status quo all screwed up when you aren't expecting it.

Pink,  Maybe there will be some light at the end of this long tunnel, for you now. I Wish You Well.  PD

Thanks...it does seem to be a good outlook for me. Various people have come up and mentioned things - we will see. I just need some normalcy back in my work days!

Positive thing, my boss isn't mad at me, lol. She called today to make sure I was able to process payroll fine then told me all about her vacation thus far. She had no reason to be mad at me - but it still had me nervous.

Well, this roller coaster is back going again. This place has been a bear to work with. I got a job offer for that position - which has opened up a lot of issues. My boss is now not talking to me, saying it was a conspiracy (since my husband came off the road working she thinks I planned this to happen). Coworkers are mad because they didn't know anything going on. Rumors are going about this person quit, this person is getting this job, etc. etc. 

I need the weekend here, fast.

Pink, take the position if you want it. Everything will eventually fall into place. Don't worry about the others.

Plus, congratulations!!

Edited by Danyel

1 hour ago, Danyel said:

Pink, take the position if you want it. Everything will eventually fall into place. Don't worry about the others.

Plus, congratulations!!

Pink I agree with Danyel,  take the job,  as those that are upset now, will either grow up & get a life, or they will get mad & quit. Should be a better place tp work when the whiners leave.  Best Wishes to a person I hold in high regard.  PD

Thank you, I did accept the offer.

It goes into effect Monday, though I'll be training with current boss her last two weeks.

Sad part? I'm one of the youngest there!

Pink,  Glad you took job, in time all the complaining & back stabbing will be in the past, & it will be a more pleasant place to work. Might be even a wake up call to a few people, as to the immaturity of their actions.  Best of Luck going Forward.  PD

Good luck in your new position!  The sniping should calm down once they see that you know what you're doing.  

Congratulations, Pink! Just be yourself, do your job and enjoy the paycheck! I hope you get an office and you can close the door.

Thank you everyone. I feel it to be a huge accomplishment to not even be 30 and run a million dollar business. I feel confident that I'll be able to do it.

I will enjoy the paycheck & I do have a door (and a pretty view into the grape vines out a window).

I did tell my other supervisor that if I EVER get like her to slap me back to reality. I cannot believe some of the things she said yesterday...I mean I can, but to be my best friend and act like she never said anything at the end of the day? I was a little irritated by it.

Pink, Again I wish you well, in your new job, &  you maybe under 30 , no doubt you will bring new ideas to this job,  & most every kind of job needs updating, & younger people with ambition, can make it happen. You have the talent, So Best Wishes to you. PD