Sign in to follow this  
nick

Audi CEO Stadtler arrested.

Over knowingly allowing tampering with diesel emission results.   VW started this stupidness three years ago, and i’m confident many, many other diesel manufacturers are complicit.    

Surely somebody here, should they be motivated, could find debate fodder.  

Diesel fumes are dangerous to health. Asthma has become epidemic in Europe since it is used so widely.

7 hours ago, jubal said:

Diesel fumes are dangerous to health. Asthma has become epidemic in Europe since it is used so widely.

??  I’ve lived here since 1993.   All horse people drive diesels, and I have never met a person with asthma in or outside the horse world.  I’m curious—does that information come from the WHO? 

In large or concentrated quantities *any* fume can be dangerous for our health.  With diesel, I think the specific issue is particulate matter (black soot) from fuel that doesn't fully ignite during combustion.  
Personally, I do not think diesel can be linked as a cause of asthma though they can certainly trigger an attack.

I'm sure all auto manufacturers are doing things that line their pockets and have a negative impact somewhere but simply haven't been caught, yet.

7 hours ago, nick said:

??  I’ve lived here since 1993.   All horse people drive diesels, and I have never met a person with asthma in or outside the horse world.  I’m curious—does that information come from the WHO? 

I would say you have anecdotal evidence from a very small group. Here's what the experts say.

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/thoraxjnl/66/1/4.full.pdf

I’ll go with the people who live, work, sweat, harvest, bale and work the fields.    They’re all around me.  The Farmer’s Almanac is a universal guide to what nature’s going to do.  

Which experts noponies?   People in lab?

Are you silly enough to think we don't do that here in Iowa? You know, FARM country? Where I have spent my life? And yeah, I know plenty of people who suffer around diesel fumes; asthma, COPD, and a close relative to Black Lung from it. I happen to be one of them.

I live in farm country also. I meet plenty of farmers in the allergy/asthma clinic I go to. Interestingly, I didn't have asthma when I moved here. I drive a diesel tractor and I have to wear a respirator mask when I do. That's fun in 90 degree weather.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

I live in farm country also. I meet plenty of farmers in the allergy/asthma clinic I go to. Interestingly, I didn't have asthma when I moved here. I drive a diesel tractor and I have to wear a respirator mask when I do. That's fun in 90 degree weather.

I have to go full oxygen around diesel

11 hours ago, jubal said:

I used to work in the environmental consulting business in California.  from what I saw around farm practices I think pesticides play a bigger role than diesel fuel.  in aerospace you see problems related to work practices related to spray booths. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Heidi n Q said:

In large or concentrated quantities *any* fume can be dangerous for our health.  With diesel, I think the specific issue is particulate matter (black soot) from fuel that doesn't fully ignite during combustion.  
Personally, I do not think diesel can be linked as a cause of asthma though they can certainly trigger an attack.

I'm sure all auto manufacturers are doing things that line their pockets and have a negative impact somewhere but simply haven't been caught, yet.

for sure. 

Pesticides are definitely impacting health. However, not many inner city children are exposed to spray booths and yet, they are contracting asthma in record numbers.

I remember a few years back warning about the toxicity of RoundUp on this forum. Everyone pooh poohed my post. And now it's the prime suspect in the dramatic rise in lymphoma in the US. We've managed to lower life expectancy while the rest of the world has raised theirs.

19 hours ago, jubal said:

Pesticides are definitely impacting health. However, not many inner city children are exposed to spray booths and yet, they are contracting asthma in record numbers.

I remember a few years back warning about the toxicity of RoundUp on this forum. Everyone pooh poohed my post. And now it's the prime suspect in the dramatic rise in lymphoma in the US. We've managed to lower life expectancy while the rest of the world has raised theirs.

While I agree with your hypothesis about Roundup, I disagree with your premise about life expectancy in North America.  According to the CIA factbook and the WHO the America’s are in the upper third world wide when it comes to life expectancy, that despite often truly terrible dietary habits, a diabetes epidemic especially among children and a junk food industry that treats hamburger meat with ammonia. 

Diesel, pesticides or Roundup can’t be figured as the sole culprits here.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Of course pesticides and air pollution are not the only causes of premature deaths. But you are wrong about life expectancy in the US. It is behind other first world countries and is on track to drop again in2018 for the third year in a row. The following article references the CDC statistics.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/09/us-life-expectancy-dropped-again/

Thank you for that link.  I was aware that the infant mortality rate in the US is shocking.